SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wild Critters Seen Around Your House
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild Critters Seen Around Your House Login/Join 
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Deer, wild turkey, pheasant, bobcat, coyotes, foxes, skunks, raccoons, possum, owls, hawks, geese, ducks, squirrel, rabbits,. And once a puma, just passing through.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have a coyote I have to kill tonight.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34390 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
I have lots of local residents who wander through my yard. I see some, but others get a portrait on my game camera:
- One very large Black Bear and cubs
- Deer
- Fox
- Bobcat
- Coyotes
- Fisher Cat
- Snowshoe Hare
- Cottontail Rabbits
- Raccoons
- Way too many Turkeys
- Partridge and Ring neck Pheasants
- Owl
- Red Tail Hawk
- Coopers Hawk
- Lots of Chipmunks, Gray Squirrels and red Squirrels

I live on the side of a small mountain with hundreds of acres of woodlands behind my house, kind of like a game preserve. It never gets hunted or trapped which is why I think there is an abundance of critters.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Scorpions. I got one in my apartment in Glendale, a built-up area far from the country. This one I smashed with a heavy book, and it was still difficult to kill. The variety found out there has a nasty sting.

When I lived in the Arizona desert I stepped on a centipede in my bare feet when I went into the kitchen in the middle of the night. They hurt like fire too. Bastard scooted under the stove and I couldn't exact my revenge on him either.

I once had a scorpion in the cupboard of a seventh floor apartment in Arizona.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
In my backyard: Copperheads, skunks, opossums, rabbits, various birds including lots of cardinals.

Within 3 miles: Black bear, bobcat, deer, coyote, wild turkey, turkey vultures, eagle, hawk.

I'm 5 miles as the crow flies outside Charlotte city limits.

Posts: 4055 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won't mention the birds since I'm on a large lake and there are too many to list, including eagles, hawks, geese, ducks, loons, herons, and then the land birds. Animals include: bear, moose, deer, fisher, fox, mink, weasel/ermine, possum, pine marten, bobcat, three species of squirrel, and the odd migrating bigfoot.

Posts: 71 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Right now black bear are very popular in the area. One of the neighbors was talking about tagging and tracking a particular bear that’s doing a daily “about town” visit to their locale. I think a hunter that shot one (a nuisance bear) dressed it out at a little over 600# sometime a bit earlier this month. That one was a bit further out of our neighborhood, but they’re all over right now.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5499 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
What I've seen in my yard within the last year:
elk
deer
bear
foxes
turkeys
band tail pigeons
geese
ducks
rabbits
3 species of squirrels
marmot
porcupine
skunk
raccoons
moose
coyote
hummingbirds

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Scorpions. I got one in my apartment in Glendale, a built-up area far from the country. This one I smashed with a heavy book, and it was still difficult to kill. The variety found out there has a nasty sting.

Part of what I forgot. The Bark Scorpion is indigenous to AZ, and the most deadly (to humans). Scorpions are also very fast. Not very big, but deadly. You can see them (plentifully) at night with an UV light). We also have a particularly deadly centipede, the Giant Desert Centipede, with a nasty bite. This guy just ate a full can of Wasp and Hornet spray.

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Scorpions, lizards, mice, birds and flying bugs of all descriptions, possums, cats, dogs, coyotes and a family of buzzards that (I wish I was joking) consider the outdoor green area of the local retirement home to be the center of their hunting grounds. The dern things perch on the lampposts out just in from of the place all the dang time.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Deer, foxes, raccoons, skunks, rabbits, squirrels, and a blond wolf (my Akita).

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2081 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Gators, black snakes, hawks, owls, eagles, opossums, armadillos, snapping turtles, red tailed fox, supposedly a few neighbors have spotted a coyote recently, so on the lookout for that sucker

Posts: 24231 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Just a handful of raccoons and mice in my immediate neighborhood. A little further west but still in the populated area I've seen the occasional deer and one coyote. We have deer wander onto the gun club property regularly. Once in a while I see a hawk circling around looking for dinner.

Posts: 7398 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in the heavily populated burbs, nothing exotic. Do have a bumper crop of raccoons this year... and oh yeah, the 300lb black bear that strolled through just this morning Eek

(Set Youtube player to 1080p)

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Deer, raccoons, porcupine, skunks, rock chucks, coyote, geese, ducks, turkeys, weasels, 2 moose over the years, a few snakes, lots of quail and pheasants, too many other birds to name. I'm sure I missed a few but you get the drift.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Here in urban Dallas I sometimes have raccoons and opossums visit my back yard to eat the cat food. I did see a red fox once, and some time back a couple of skunks.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Javelina, rattlesnakes, king snakes, and Gila Monsters every once in a blue moon.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2872 | Location: Tucson Sector | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post