SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wild Critters Seen Around Your House
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild Critters Seen Around Your House Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted
I moved about a year ago. It is still suburbia, but several wooded acres with a stream. Around the house I've seen deer, fox, ground hog, a couple rabbits, more deer, squirrels, an owl, a hawk once, wood peckers, black rat snake, did I mention deer, raccoons.

No cats, other dogs, coyote, wild pigs, possum, poisonous snakes, or bear.

What do you have around you?

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
About everything you mentioned except wild hogs and bear. Sometimes dogs and cats.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Your list and more -- but no bear, pigs, or large cats. Some harmless snakes. Lots of raptors and buzzards.

Well, we did have a bear in the area but he was a drifter from MI. I think he was put down.

We see the Sandhill Crane migration every year. That's something to watch!

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Alligators, bobcats, water moccasins, copperheads, southern black racers, bald eagles, red tail hawks, and osprey. We used to have more rabbits and squirrels.

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Your list plus the opossum and copperheads. Oh, and buzzards.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I'm on the east side of town which is the built up suburban side.

Dogs, cats, raccoons, possums, armadillos, grey squirrels, snakes, alligators, crocodiles, sharks, manatees, dolphins, and more types of birds than I can identify are all commonplace but I have also seen deer, coyotes, hogs, and a fox.

We have also had bears in the neighborhood but I have only seen them on the news, not in person.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3900 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I moved about a year ago. It is still suburbia, but several wooded acres with a stream. Around the house I've seen deer, fox, ground hog, a couple rabbits, more deer, squirrels, an owl, a hawk once, wood peckers, black rat snake, did I mention deer, raccoons.

Everything you mentioned plus skunks, possums, and ground hogs plus way too many buzzards, they are new over last 10-15 years. Strangely I live in 1/4-1/3 acre lot community. We shouldn't have all these.

One of the coolest things I saw was a eagle eat a squirrel in one of the oak trees. They are freaking huge, it's hard to understand how big they are until you see them at 25' away.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Tarantulas, trantula hawk wasps, scorpions, centipedes, rattlers, coral snakes, copperheads, moccasins, deer, coyotes, hawks, wild hogs, buzzards.....to name a few.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Let's see, lots of ducks, geese and other migratory birds, fewer pheasants this year than most. Hawks, owls and buzzards. Had 6 buzzards perched on the roof of my house one day, kind of an ominous sign, but I'm still here. Deer, once in a long while someone will spot a moose, or cougar. Coyotes, fox, skunks, raccoons and possum, had some woodchucks on my property for a couple years but I haven't seen any for a while. Lots of squirrels and rabbits. I caught a snapping turtle trying to lay its eggs along the side of the road, I picked it up and moved it to a safer area. There may be a few critters I may have overlooked but this is the gist of it.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2107 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loved those Texas
one room schools
posted Hide Post
Deer, possums, skunks, rabbits, and feral cats. We've seen a few snakes. We see some bees and wasps. Theres a small wooded area behind our house. Periodically we get serenaded by locusts, and serenaded, and serenaded still more. The dogs think the locusts are delicious.

"Louis was furious with the sharks. He thought they had an understanding: The men would stay out of the sharks' turf - the water - and the sharks would stay off theirs - the raft...If the sharks were going to try to eat him, he was going to try to eat them." From Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Posts: 1862 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Badgers, mtn lions, bobcats, skunks, deer, elk, big horn sheep, blk bears, antelope, fox and coyotes.

About the only Montana residents we have never seen are grizzly bears , mtn goats and wolverines.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Have a game camera. Lots of rabbits, raccoons, possums. Then the neighbors cat that if warned then about. Finally, a coyote that has a huge parasite load. Have had as many as five deer but development has driven them off.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Deer, squirrel, gopher, skunks, opossum, armadillo, coyotes, snakes, cattle...lots of bugs both beneficial & otherwise.
We have a couple of big cats that come through from time to time.

There is at least one pair of mated, red tail hawks. Several other raptors and carrion birds.
Oh, and I have seen a Roadrunner around lately....haven’t seen those since I was a kid.

I’m sure I’m leaving something out...

Posts: 6345 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'm in a sort of suburban area. Fairly small lot in a gated community. We have all sorts of birds in the area, including hawks, eagles, and sand hill cranes that will walk right up to you and stare at you.

Raccoons, possums, squirrels, armadillos, the occasional black bear.

Any body of water is likely to contain gators. The springs not far from here have manatees.

I killed a coral snake in my back yard not too long ago. Actually the only venomous snake I have seen in thirty years of living here in Florida. Quite a few black harmless snakes though.

A lot of the little lizard things. They probably keep the insect population down.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

Every thing on your list except wild pigs, and bears. We get those at one of our other places. Including coyotes, possums, poisonous snakes.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Fox, turkey, pheasant, quail, flickers (woodpecker), lots of tweety birds, deer, skunk, raccoon, geese, duck, American Avocet, Red Legged Stilts, hawks of all kinds, falcons, eagles (bald and golden), owls (many varieties), cougar, and coyote.

We also have bull snakes, scorpions and other insects Smile

Posts: 3567 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Deer, turkey, foxes, possum. Occasional skunk, several Barred Owls, lots of vultures. Had a woodchuck hanging around, but haven't seen him for a couple years, couple bobcat over a period of several years, and a variety of non poisonous snakes.

Posts: 3268 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
A family of quail that live in my neighbor's bushes but like to visit our yard, a Cooper's hawk, a male broad tailed hummingbird, robins, skunks, and cougars (not in our neighborhood, but within walking distance). One of the funniest things I saw lately were the quail walking single file across my neighbor's roof.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Everything on your list plus possum, skunks, beavers, muskrats, bobcats, coyotes, wild turkeys and bears.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16632 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bears, Deer, Coyotes, Porcupines, Skunks, Grey and Red Squirrels, Chipmunks, Ground Squirrels, Rabbits and a wide assortment of birds.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16379 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post