SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wild Critters Seen Around Your House
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild Critters Seen Around Your House Login/Join 
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Behind my home is 3K acres of state and national forest, no squatters, or homes.

I was checking my game cam the other night, doe, doe, doe, doe, buck, doe doe buck, turkeys, doe doe, golden lab, doe, buck.

One of those things don't belong. None of my neighbors down the road have a lab.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
Opossums, Racoons, Mountain Lions, coyotes and Rattle Snakes

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10375 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am on the edge of suburbia. We have lots and lots of coyotes, plenty of bobcats, and I only rarely see a mountain lion. There is a substantial population of mountain lions, but the stay hidden. Plenty of deer to feed the predators. Oh, quite a few fox. One of them was lounging near my front steps when I came home from work recently. He was very friendly, and was only 15 feet away. He stayed put for 5 minutes, until I got tired of watching him and had to go in.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
in no particular order

prairie dogs, woodpeckers, rattlesnakes, scorpions, coyotes, bobcats, tarantula (which I like), wolf spiders, brown recluse (killed a very large one yesterday), Coopers Hawks, Harris Hawks, owls....

not to mention lizards, geckos, miscellaneous lizards, centipedes, fire ants, Africanized bees...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53785 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Deer, coyotes, javalina, bobcats, mountain lion, rabbits, quail, roadrunners, hawks, owls, hummingbirds, king snakes, rattlesnakes, packrats, Gila monsters, tarantulas, and scorpions, I think that about covers it.

We live in the foothills, backing up to a golf course, county rec area and a National forest.

Posts: 1518 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I live in a kind of transition between city and country. There are all kinds of houses and apartments, but less than half a mile away are cornfields and horses and cattle grazing. I see lots of squirrels, groundhogs and the occasional small deer. In the more open country, skunks, raccoons and opossums, but these are usually road kill.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Golfers....

When we looked at our current house, which is on a fairway...I walked out and exclaimed " cool, how long is that range" my realtor just smiled.

My wife keeps telling me I can't hunt them.....I thought they were considered a nuisance species like hog...

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We're in a good spot for wildlife. We get Mule Deer, Raccoons, Skunks, Rattlesnakes and assorted other snakes. Tarantulas, Scorpions and lots of birds.

We have a good population of Hummingbirds in season. We've had Oriole, Woodpeckers, Finches, Sparrows, Robins, Bluebirds, Flickers, Hawks. The last few weeks we had a Blue Herron and a Stellars Jay in the yard.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Deer, turkey, coyote, racoon, rabbit, woodchuck, squirrel, hawk, owl, snakes(non poisonous) and lots of small birds. Bear and fox are around but haven't seen any.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3818 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Golfers....

When we looked at our current house, which is on a fairway...I walked out and exclaimed " cool, how long is that range" my realtor just smiled.

My wife keeps telling me I can't hunt them.....I thought they were considered a nuisance species like hog...

Check me if I'm wrong but...if I kill all the "golfers" won't they lock me up and throw away the key?

Posts: 13564 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Golfers....

Check me if I'm wrong but...if I kill all the "golfers" won't they lock me up and throw away the key?

Not all....silly, just the good eating ones Big Grin

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Numerous deer, some coyotes and foxes. But the most entertaining has been Bob - as in, Bob the Peacock. This fowl appeared in the neighborhood a few weeks ago, apparently an escapee from a nearby farm. Obviously, the neighbors (most, anyway) have taken a great liking to him. He's staying pretty well-fed thanks many of us ha-ha!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6733 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Deer, coyotes, a very few bear incursions for bird feeder raids, skunks, rabbits, possum, ground hogs, fox, a variety of hawks, a handful of owl species, many various snakes, buzzards, moles, voles, fox and gray and flying squirrels, chipmunks, and a fairly large variety of songbirds including hummingbirds, orioles, flickers, woodpeckers, finches, etc. Not even going to go into the arthropods.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15790 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
My 3 kids Smile

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6061 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Possum trying to move onto my screen porch.

Mr. Crasher

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
What do you have around you?

Coyotes, Javalina, rattlesnakes (Western Diamondbacks and Mohaves), several other varieties of snake (king, gopher, racers), badger, kit fox, turkey vultures, Harris hawks, Red Tail hawks, Harriers, GHO and other raptors, round tail ground squirrels, desert tortoises, cottontail and black tail jack rabbits, several species of lizards, pocket gophers, pack rats, and I am probably forgetting half of what we have around. The desert is incredibly rich in wildlife species.

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Scorpions. I got one in my apartment in Glendale, a built-up area far from the country. This one I smashed with a heavy book, and it was still difficult to kill. The variety found out there has a nasty sting.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Scorpions. I got one in my apartment in Glendale, a built-up area far from the country. This one I smashed with a heavy book, and it was still difficult to kill. The variety found out there has a nasty sting.

When I lived in the Arizona desert I stepped on a centipede in my bare feet when I went into the kitchen in the middle of the night. They hurt like fire too. Bastard scooted under the stove and I couldn't exact my revenge on him either.

Posts: 13564 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I've nearly hit deer several time on the way to work. Seen several foxes in the immediate area. Two years ago there was also a black bear in the area that managed to wander across two school grounds. Squirrels, rabbits, etc. as expected.

And this is maybe 8 miles outside downtown Philly.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains east of LA. Lots and lots of critters: mountain lions, black bears, coyotes, foxes, bobcats, skunks, possums, squirrels, rabbits, rattlesnakes, shovelnose snakes (one recently took-up residence in my garage, I named him "Jerome" but I think he's left for greener pastures), some other non-venomous snakes, many hummingbirds, many other bird species including hawks and owls, tarantulas, black widows, lizards, and lots of deer. I may have missed a few but that's the master list. Only one I haven't seen is mountain lion but neighbors have seen them on or near my property.

Posts: 1994 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post