SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Butcher Block/Cutting Board Help
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Butcher Block/Cutting Board Help Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrToad:
That's something on my Christmas gift wish list, a maple end block cutting board. Sturdy and forgiving on knife edges. Bald1, did you have a preferred oil or possibly a beeswax mix?

I make my own with food grade mineral oil and beeswax. There are retail mixes that are the same but I enjoy the DIY aspect of mixing my own. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I have a Boos end grain maple board. I use Boos oil on it. I've had it for around 10 years now and it's still in perfect condition other than typical knife marks.

Keep it oiled and you won't have any problems.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm not a cook and have no recommendations, but I do have a question: don't germs accumulate in the grooves of the board cut there by the knives?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I'm not a cook and have no recommendations, but I do have a question: don't germs accumulate in the grooves of the board cut there by the knives?

flashguy

From this standpoint, wood is actually safer than plastic cutting boards. Wood has natural antimicrobial properties.

http://www.akitchen.com/blog/2...ou-may-be-surprised/

>A somewhat recent study at UC Davis was surprised to find out about wood’s superiority after they set out to design a way to disinfect wood so it would be as safe as plastic. They soon determined that on wood surfaces, bacteria such as Salmonella quickly disappeared from the cutting board surfaces, even surfaces that had many knife cuts. Plastic, however, especially plastic with grooves from knife use, tended to harbor the bacteria over time.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
bald1, I have that exact board. I've had it for years and still looks new. I bought one for my son as well.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1697 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
bald1, I have that exact board. I've had it for years and still looks new. I bought one for my son as well.

Rod, you have great taste! LOL

For giggles I looked up what I had paid a decade ago which was $95 delivered. I note current offerings are somewhat over $100 plus shipping for the 29 lb board. Given the prices of other similar boards it remains a true bargain!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Thank you, maladat.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post