SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Butcher Block/Cutting Board Help
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Butcher Block/Cutting Board Help Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted
Looking at upgrading some of my cutting surfaces in the kitchen. Boos seems to be the big name in this business. Any other brands i should look for? I cook a lot and I know I'll appreciate a nice cutting board so I'm ok spending some coin here. I'm not interested in carving blocks or anything with an integrated tray, just a big honkin' piece of wood.
Seems to me the big options/considerations here are:
Teak
Maple
Walnut
Reversible
End Cut

What should I look out for and what are the pros/cons of the list above?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9698 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I have a Boos Board and love it. The wife hates it and won't touch it because it's a big hunk of wood and heavy. I have a number of Epicurian's and like those as well. They are probably a quarter inch thick and much more manageable.
End grain boards are much more durable and cut resistant. If you want to drop some $$ Boos will be happy to help you. Etsy also have a plethora of nice custom boards made by some craftsman that will part you of some of your money as well.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Any issues with splitting? I was reading some reviews on Amazon and people were shredding the end grain board due to splitting.

What material is yours?

NRA Life Member

Posts: 9698 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I have bamboo. It's about five years old & still looks great.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Any issues with splitting? I was reading some reviews on Amazon and people were shredding the end grain board due to splitting.

What material is yours?

Mine is hard rock maple end grain. No problems with splitting.I have sliced up a lot of briskets, ribs etc. on that board. Mine is reversible with one side which has a deep juice groove. I rarely if ever use the other side without the juice groove. I think I'd dropped about $130 on Amazon.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have five Boos blocks of various sizes. Been happy with all of them. No complaints whatsoever.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I have five Boos blocks of various sizes. Been happy with all of them. No complaints whatsoever.

What material and are they end grains?

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
I like these guys. Boos is very credible as well
End grain is my preference. Take care of it & buy a well made one, you'll not hv splitting issues. End grain is nicer to blade edges

http://www.theboardsmith.com/

Posts: 912 | Location: Tucker, Ga. | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I put in Lumber Liquidators maple butcher block counter tops in 2009 in my condo I now rent out and they've held up well. I oil them once a year or so really well with mineral oil.

The prices were really good compared to what I was seeing elsewhere except IKEA, but I was not impressed with their butcher block at all, most of theirs seemed pretty low quality woods and small bits of it all glued together.

I recall paying around $185-$200 per 8-foot section, it's now listed on their website at $251.99 per section:

Williamsburg Butcher Block Co. 1 1/2" x25" x 8 lft Maple Butcher Block Countertop

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
The Boardsmith

I have a large maple/walnut border board. I also like his brick pattern but the wife wanted to border board. His customer service is fantastic. The board itself is amazing. Just keep it oil/waxed and it's good to go. Way nicer than Boos. Contact John and he'll help you out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: steelcityfishanddive,

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I bought a beautiful cutting board here from member Gordynismo. The bonus is that he sends the board with oil and salve for maintenance. $75 shipped was a steal.

Check him out.

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/...7-AE7B-8ABC492C3438}

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I have a 20x15x1.5 maple and a 20x24x2 walnut John boos both endgrains.

I know the walnut is supposed to be a better material, but I like the lighter color of the maple when I'm prepping.

The smaller one is 3 years old and the the larger gets less use but is even older.

They have not split or cracked however they do not get exposed to water other then a little soap and a damp wash cloth for cleaning.

I use mineral oil on them once in a while. I used to do it monthly but after a couple of years, it wasn't necessary so I do it maybe twice a year now.

I also bought a 15x11x1.5 catskill craftsman board off amazon, and it is identical to the boos maple board but only cost me 35 dollars.

The quality is every bit the boos, if I put the boos logo on it, you wouldn't know the difference. It's only about 5 months old so I can't speak for longevity. I do use it every single day as the size is perfect. I haven't reached for the other two unless we are working on a big project. I will by catskill again. It really is a great price for a quality board.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nickelsig229,

First In Last Out

Posts: 4792 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

What material and are they end grains?

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/John-Bo...ef=sr_1_3_sspa&psc=1

This one:

https://www.amazon.com/John-Bo...&sr=8-12&ref=sr_1_12

And three of these little guys:

https://www.amazon.com/John-Bo...&sr=8-17&ref=sr_1_17

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw a link to jonescuttingboards.com somewhere. Worth looking at IMO. I'm probably going to order one soon myself. Some really nice looking boards in various woods.
I'm leaning towards an end grain style board.

Posts: 1973 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've been real pleased with a Michigan Maple rectangular end grain chopping block (20x15x3.5"). We've had it for the last 10 years. They're available from a number of online sources. An example here: https://mapleblock.shptron.com...in-chopping-block-20

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
That's something on my Christmas gift wish list, a maple end block cutting board. Sturdy and forgiving on knife edges. Bald1, did you have a preferred oil or possibly a beeswax mix?

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought one yet, but a knife guy I follow on YouTube really likes these. They're beautiful.

http://www.cottonanddust.com/

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steelcityfishanddive:
The Boardsmith

I have a large maple/walnut border board. I also like his brick pattern but the wife wanted to border board. His customer service is fantastic. The board itself is amazing. Just keep it oil/waxed and it's good to go. Way nicer than Boos. Contact John and he'll help you out.

^^^^
I agree.
I have a walnut endgrain board from John. The craftsmanship is beautiful.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Those are some serious cutting boards you guys are using... and expensive. About 20 years ago I picked up a piece of oak from the lumber yard. Traced the pattern I wanted and cut it out with a jig saw. Probably paid $5 for the wood and it still gets used multiple times a day. One of these days I’m going to try and make something fancy like you guys are linking to.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
I have bamboo. It's about five years old & still looks great.

Likewise. Easy on the knife, easy care.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2366 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post