Butcher Block/Cutting Board Help

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5910022744

September 19, 2018, 09:42 PM
bald1
Butcher Block/Cutting Board Help
quote:
Originally posted by MrToad:
That's something on my Christmas gift wish list, a maple end block cutting board. Sturdy and forgiving on knife edges. Bald1, did you have a preferred oil or possibly a beeswax mix?

I make my own with food grade mineral oil and beeswax. There are retail mixes that are the same but I enjoy the DIY aspect of mixing my own. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
September 19, 2018, 11:32 PM
houndawg
I have a Boos end grain maple board. I use Boos oil on it. I've had it for around 10 years now and it's still in perfect condition other than typical knife marks.

Keep it oiled and you won't have any problems.
September 20, 2018, 04:48 AM
flashguy
I'm not a cook and have no recommendations, but I do have a question: don't germs accumulate in the grooves of the board cut there by the knives?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
September 20, 2018, 07:50 AM
maladat
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I'm not a cook and have no recommendations, but I do have a question: don't germs accumulate in the grooves of the board cut there by the knives?

flashguy

From this standpoint, wood is actually safer than plastic cutting boards. Wood has natural antimicrobial properties.

http://www.akitchen.com/blog/2...ou-may-be-surprised/

>A somewhat recent study at UC Davis was surprised to find out about wood’s superiority after they set out to design a way to disinfect wood so it would be as safe as plastic. They soon determined that on wood surfaces, bacteria such as Salmonella quickly disappeared from the cutting board surfaces, even surfaces that had many knife cuts. Plastic, however, especially plastic with grooves from knife use, tended to harbor the bacteria over time.
September 20, 2018, 09:01 AM
sig sailor
bald1, I have that exact board. I've had it for years and still looks new. I bought one for my son as well.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.
September 20, 2018, 02:01 PM
bald1
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
bald1, I have that exact board. I've had it for years and still looks new. I bought one for my son as well.

Rod, you have great taste! LOL

For giggles I looked up what I had paid a decade ago which was $95 delivered. I note current offerings are somewhat over $100 plus shipping for the 29 lb board. Given the prices of other similar boards it remains a true bargain!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
September 20, 2018, 05:12 PM
flashguy
Thank you, maladat.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth