SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Try the Le Careme it's a great cigar, my favorite new cigar. I pay around $8 which to me is good value. It's a broadleaf wrapper but the blend is different. Usually when I have seen broadleaf blended with strong full bodied binder and filler. The Le Careme is different very complex but medium bodied. The owner of CH stated it was meant to taste like a chocolate souffle. It definitely has a cocoa taste, but the broadleaf adds some spice. It's a very unique use of broadleaf.

Today was a 3-smoke day Eek. We just relaxed around the house, had a nice fire outside and smoked some hog wings.

Started with an Aging Room Quattro, followed that up with a RP Private Cellar and just finished with a Le Careme (purchased this week on the advise here from Gator). Pretty good day... Wink

Thanks gents

Posts: 680 | Location: East of the Rockies | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great day Gnut. I might have 3 or more today. Woke up early and got the smoker lit so Christmas brisket will be ready by 6ish. So i celebrated with coffe and la careme. The foot smelled like nuts and cocoa, pre light draw was heavy tobacco and cocoa and left a sweetness on my lips. While toasting the foot i could smell fresh burned tobacco. First inch has been a mild tobacco flavor with some grassy notes (hay and a little cedar).

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Great little smoke. I swear the last 3rd has an almost chocolate cake flavor. Theres a good amount of pepper too, not really heavy but enough to make it interesting.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Not your typical broadleaf cigar.

I had a Four Kicks H-TOWN Lancero last night wrapping presents.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
Great little smoke. I swear the last 3rd has an almost chocolate cake flavor. Theres a good amount of pepper too, not really heavy but enough to make it interesting.

The chocolate mocha I was getting was really interesting along with what I thought was white pepper. Really good stick.

Good luck with the brisket. Always a big hit at my house.

Posts: 680 | Location: East of the Rockies | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today was a first for me, I made chili. Pretty darn good chili too...from scratch...no recipe...AND NO BEANS!!! I am now having a Viaje Exclusivo Nicaragua for dessert.

The recipe if any one cares;

2 pounds hamburger
2 pounds sweet Italian sausage
10 sweet peppers, seeded and chunked
1 Hungarian Wax pepper seeded and chunked
2 Cascabel chili peppers seeded and chunked
1 Italian long hot pepper (green) seeded and chunked
1 medium sized Vidalia onion chunked
2 28 ounce cans diced tomatoes
2 handfuls of brown sugar
Salt to taste

Brown hamburger in a stock pot and begin to brown the outside of the sausage in a sauce pan. Slice the sausage while still red inside and add to the hamburger. This keeps the grease for the chili. Add the tomatoes, onion, and peppers. Boil for 10 minutes, reduce heat and simmer until most of the juices dissipate. About 2 hours in my case. Enjoy!

I couldn't go wild with spiciness or else no one else would eat it. This had a nice sweet flavor with a little bit of spice to it. It was perfect in my eyes due to not having the chili powder flavor that most chili has, i.e. Wendy's.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Good smokes everyone!

I'm on the first day of loooong trip, and enjoying a Bobalu Criollo on the back patio of the hotel. Starts off smooth with a little spice, and damn if I don't taste some brisket in there as well!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Ep carillo Connecticut, lots of Cedar right out of the gate. I hope it mellows out soon.

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I got warped Don Reynaldo to smoke with my FIL. Every Christmas I give him Tatuaje, Crowned Heads, My Father, etc. He raves about them. I told him I had some cigars for after dinner. While I was washing pots and pans he went outside and smoked a Swisher sweet blueberry cigar. I shit you not. WTF.

I am not giving him the Don Reynaldo. He'll just have to take the Tat, CH, home.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Lmfao you have some awesome sticks lined up for him and he smokes a blueberry ghetto stick.

The ep carillo Connecticut was terrible. Started off with a blast of cedar that turned into more cedar, i put it down about halfway when it tasted like i was chewing on a piece of cedar. I am still thinking about the La Careme i had this morning, what a great smoke. I had to look through my notes of other Connecticut broadleaf maduro smokes and I noticed 2 (possibly 3, the blend and wrapper on the edicion de silvio arent disclosed but theres much speculation that its a barrel aged broadleaf) of my favorite smokes use a similar wrapper. The perdomo champagne noir, aged in fresh oak barrels for 6 months, and the perdomo 12 year vintage, aged in used bourbon barrels for 12 months.

Now im on the hunt to try more. Will pick up more Caremes as well.

ETA : A little shameless bragging, the mrs got me 2 bottles of blanton's, a bottle of high west campfire and a Stave from a blantons barrel (charred, used stave) to add to my bourbon cart, it has holes in it to collect the different tops from blantons bottles. It was a good day.

Hope yall had a Merry Christmas.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
My favorite Christmas gift!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post

Chi Chi, get the yayo

cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
My Christmas cigar was based off all your rave reviews. I'm going to have to smoke another though. The construction was spot on, but we smoked some pipe tobacco that I think affected how the cigar tasted (it was a wet aromatic). I am looking forward to trying another one when I place another order.

‎"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Cohiba V. Cohiba

Those of you who follow all things Cuban are probably aware of this lawsuit, but even if you're not, I think it is pretty interesting.

It's the trademark case that refuses to die and it's still under litigation. Casually known as Cohiba v. Cohiba, the Empresa Cubana del Tabaco v. Culbro Corp. lawsuit started nearly 20 years ago when Cubatabaco, owners of the Cohiba trademark, sued General Cigar Co. for its use of the Cohiba name in the United States. General registered Cohiba in 1981 and then reregistered the trademark in 1995. In response, Cuba sought to cancel General's U.S. trademark. Since then, the case has gone arduously back and forth with numerous appeals and reappeals that showed victories and losses for both sides—and the issue remains unresolved.

The case raises an interesting question: Does a country have any trademark rights in the United States when it's under an embargo? In the case of Cohiba—the most high-profile premium cigar brand in the world—one court of law believes it does. Another disagrees. And the Supreme Court refuses to get involved.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com...ohiba-v-cohiba-19142

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, but if the embargo is lifted the copyrights belong to Cuba.

It will be a legal battle for rights to banding for Cohiba, Montecristo, Partagas, La Gloria Cubana, H. Upman, Hoyo Monterrey, Punch, etc.

Never could understand how US companies could use established Cuban brand names

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2988 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I despise all non-cuban cigar mfgs using Cuban brands to me they are misleading consumers especially consumers who are casual to the hobby. There are a lot of cigars sold to people who pick the cigar based on the name. Trading on the Cuban name is lazy.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

posted Hide Post
I smoked over 100 Room 101 cigars over the last year. Now I am addicted to La Gloria de Cubana cigars.

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trading on the Cuban name is lazy.

Hard agree. And General is among the worst offenders:

- Cohiba
- Ramone Allones
- Bolivar
- La Gloria Cubana
- Hoyo de Monterrey
- Partagas
- Punch

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
My turn...

I've had this for a couple of weeks and now is the time!

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My thoughts on the Cohiba vs. Cohiba. While I agree it is wrong to infringe on copyrights, here goes.

1. Could this be like patents? I never realized that there were so many patent laws until I started watching Shark Tank. Just because you have one here, does not mean you are covered around the world.

2. What about China? They copy...well everything, and what gets done about it?

I can see why no one wants to get involved with the case. It would become a global nightmare if either side won. Trademarks going back to the beginning of time with people trying to say that they had it first and are owed millions of dollars because someone else is using "their great, great, great grand pappys idea". Or, on the flip side, everyone would now be able to be the "ultimate driving machine". I think Mercedes would get pretty pissed off about Kia being able to say that.