SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yamaha R1 first gen. **update with brief vid & question**
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yamaha R1 first gen. **update with brief vid & question** Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I never would have thought my first litre bike would be a R1. Yamaha was not exactly my favorite of the big four. I always thought my first litre bike would be a Suzuki or a Honda.

My friend who usually specializes in rare two strokes had a R1 in need some TLC.

I'm looking foreword to experienceing what 150 hp feels like.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It doesn't make 150 RWHP.

Yamaha is numero uno today in sportbikes.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12932 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the first R-1's. I had a couple. Competent for that time period. But you will really miss what comes on a modern liter bike in terms of electronics. Buy good tires and behave and it will be enjoyable.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11164 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Uncomfortable, and stupid fast.
Be careful out there, mkay?

God bless America.

Posts: 13864 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
How many bikes you got in the stable, Stick?

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10557 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got rid of my CBR 1000. To freaking fast for this old man. They are a ton of fun.

Posts: 7671 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
ASKSmith,

Not nearly enough. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
Motorcycles...

An absolutely thrilling way to get very badly hurt.

(Sold all mine ~6 years ago).

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats Stickman! The R1 is a great bike but you should have bought a RC51 Cool Post up some pics.

Posts: 2183 | Registered: July 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by porterdog:
Motorcycles...

An absolutely thrilling way to get very badly hurt.

(Sold all mine ~6 years ago).

Moderation of the right wrist twist will solve most of those problems. Not all but most.

Congrats on the buy. Now ride like everyone out there thinks your invisible.

Posts: 4445 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Mark71, I hear ya on the RC. As a huge Honda and 90° twin fan the RC51 is a motorcycle I will absolutely have in my garage in the future. I just gotta quit buying two strokes and project bikes and find a clean low mile example.

This R1 ain't much to look at now. It's previous owner dropped it and messed up the lower fairings so I got it for a steal. I am probably going to make it a street fighter or just ride it for a bit as it is now since it's pretty much already a street fighter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Stick-

Those first R1's will be a classic someday soon. I f the frame isn't too buggered you can always replace fairing.

Is it a blue one or a red/white one?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4252 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
... [snip] ...
Congrats on the buy. Now ride like everyone out there thinks your invisible.

My take was to always assume that they were actively trying to hit you and plan and ride accordingly.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Kev, It is red & white. Thankfully the frame did not sustain any damage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Kev, It would look like this if I fixed the fairings. These first gen R1 bikes actually look pretty good considering they are almost 18 years old.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
A friend had a 2001, the midrange torque was awesome. I've ridden much faster bikes, but none felt as wild - new bikes are faster and more controlled than ever.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Kev, It would look like this if I fixed the fairings. These first gen R1 bikes actually look pretty good considering they are almost 18 years old.

I think that the red/white looks best on that bike. Keep us updated on the fix and how it rides.

Posts: 2183 | Registered: July 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Kev, It is red & white. Thankfully the frame did not sustain any damage.

Time for a restoration!

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4252 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
If I can easily find OEM factory fairings then yeah I will restore it back to original.

This R1 has a cool looking frame so I do plan on riding it as a naked bike/ streetfighter for a little while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It lives!!!! Big Grin

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/6B0er0ez7J0

I'm thinking it will probably end up similar to these.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~