SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yamaha R1 first gen. **update with brief vid & question**
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yamaha R1 first gen. **update with brief vid & question** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Not totally following this thread. Woodcraft is THE go to place for rearsets if you need them. Bodywork I use sharkskinz but again for racing.
CF wheels I have lots of experience the only gotcha is to make sure they have some certification for road use TUV is best, but DOT is ok. If they have none I would not ride on them.
For normal road use there is no point.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11164 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Cool man! Welcome to the liter club. I'm digging the naked/street fighter look.

I've got a gen 1.5 CBR1000RR (Fireblade) with a bunch of mods, making around 180 at the wheel and right at 600 lbs with me on it. It is mindblowingly, retina detachingly, stupidly fast... I can only imagine what the newer, faster stuff is like.

No TCS or ABS is a trip Cool

Keep the rubber side down, and have fun!

Posts: 2171 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I found carbon fiber wheels! $1500 front and $2000 for the rear. Why not roll on wheels that cost more than the bike. Big Grin In all seriousness those CF wheels look INCREDIBLE!

I never researched CF wheels. Anyone here have any experience with them? When I buy a more modern sport bike it might be something I could see myself getting.

Hopefully I'll have the R1 on the road next week!

Marchesini
Oz

Either will be much cheaper. Forged aluminum gives you a weight savings over cast and are quite strong. I hope ou can hunt down OEM fairings. There wa a waiting list to get that bike when it came out. It kind of was a game changer at the time.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12932 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer Instincts:

I've got a gen 1.5 CBR1000RR (Fireblade) with a bunch of mods, making around 180 at the wheel and right at 600 lbs with me on it. It is mindblowingly, retina detachingly, stupidly fast... I can only imagine what the newer, faster stuff is like.

Like windows 95 compared to current OS. Upper tachs of modern liters are mind bending...

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12932 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Prefontaine,

What would you recommend changing out as "preventive maintenance" on this R1? It will likely become my go to bike for longer trips so I want to make sure I can rely on it to get me home.

I gotta admit this R1 is REALLY growing on me and is making me take a second look at Yamaha, which wasn't really my favorite brand previously...not for any particular reason at all I just always lusted over Hondas, Suzukis and BMWs.

I am thinking I'll hang onto this bike, use it as a way to ease into the world of litre bike ownership and then some time late this year or early next year I'll pick up that GSX-R1000R I have been drooling over for so long. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Like windows 95 compared to current OS. Upper tachs of modern liters are mind bending...

Bah, may as well be Harley's compared to the older small-displacement bikes.
I'd love to have an older CBR250RR with that 20k redline. Less likely to kill myself on that than a 16k RPM R6.
Razz

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15981 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
P250UA5,

I hear ya. Riding slow bikes fast is REAAAAAALY fun! My SV650 used to scare me when I first had it but now it just feels damn slow. I recently discovered an importer based in DC that specializes in rare JDM unicorns. They tend to have more two stroke offerings (NSR250R etc) but they do import four strokes. I fear they may end up costing me a great sum of money in the future.

Link to JDM moto importer

I want one of these badly! They have one that will be up for sale soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
R1 preventive maintenance planned so far.

Oil & filter change
Gas tank flush
Coolant flush & new coolant
New fuel filter
New fuel line from tank to filter
New Brake fluid
Clean carbs and carb rebuild kit
New brake pads
New plugs
New air filter
New battery
New tires
New headlight bulbs (brighter version)

New voltage regulator? Are they known to fail?

What am I forgetting?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I was cruising Craigslist looking for something else entirely and found this:

Yamaha RZ350

OOooooooooooooooooo....

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15491 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clean carbs and carb rebuild kit

What am I forgetting?

You might sync your carbs too. The other thing to check on is the condition of the brake lines. 18 years is a might old for something there to help you stop. Get some stainless braided ones as you can.

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
PHPaul, Very nice. It looks pretty clean! Are ya gonna get it? Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
What am I forgetting?

Check the clearance on your valves, and your cam chain and tensioners.

The only R1s I saw with serious issues (which with the exception of the well known 2nd gear issue was very few) were those that ignored valve maintenance schedules.

That five valve engine is a thing of beauty when she's running up in the RPMs, but remember, that's a lot of shit flinging around a tight circle in a short time. Checking them is not easy, but it's much easier than rebuilding the engine.

On a side note, I was working at a Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki shop when the R1 came out and was able to ride the first one we got in.

When they say "game changer" it's no joke. It wasn't just better than the other guys, it was night and day faster, lighter, meaner. One of the scariest bikes I ever rode - with the exception of the '97 Suzuki TL1000S - at that time.

It was a cool time to be in the industry. So much was changing and evolving; sport bikes got so much better, so fast, but I'm sure everybody who was in the biz thought the same of their timeframe. And they probably have a good basis for that argument. But what changed from say '95 to '05 within the industry was unreal, and crossed the entire spectrum of bikes.

Posts: 10806 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by Killer Instincts:

I'm not even sure I'd know what to do with that... my CBR already pulls the front wheel about 30 degrees off the ground near redline (at full throttle) in first and second, less than that in third. I suppose with wheelie control and all the other modern safety nets, more power would be manageable.

Posts: 2171 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
PHPaul, Very nice. It looks pretty clean! Are ya gonna get it? Big Grin

Ha. I'm still amazed that I survived getting the FJ09 without a major marital meltdown.

(Hmmmmmm, a rather nice alliterative turn of phrase if I do say so myself...)

Posts: 15491 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
P250UA5,

I hear ya. Riding slow bikes fast is REAAAAAALY fun! My SV650 used to scare me when I first had it but now it just feels damn slow. I recently discovered an importer based in DC that specializes in rare JDM unicorns. They tend to have more two stroke offerings (NSR250R etc) but they do import four strokes. I fear they may end up costing me a great sum of money in the future.

Link to JDM moto importer

I want one of these badly! They have one that will be up for sale soon.

Eek
That sure is a pretty VFR.
Curious what the 250RR is going to listed for. Doubt I can talk the wife into it....Last one I saw sold in really nice shape went for ~9k.
Good way to get a screamer that is less likely to kill me.
Those Rothmans NSRs are pretty appealing too.

Posts: 15981 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
PHPaul, I hear ya. Big Grin The R1 landed me on el jefe's shit list for a while. She is gonna flip shit when she discovers how much the H2, GSX-R1000R & S1000RR that I'm wanting cost....especially the H2. I saw one in person two days ago and fell in love with that supercharged trellis framed beast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The H2 looks terrifying & the H2R even more so.
I'd probably just go ahead & die if I sat on one & started it.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
PHPaul, I hear ya. Big Grin The R1 landed me on el jefe's shit list for a while. She is gonna flip shit when she discovers how much the H2, GSX-R1000R & S1000RR that I'm wanting cost....especially the H2. I saw one in person two days ago and fell in love with that supercharged trellis framed beast.

Big Grin

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thinking more on these JDM imports.
Is anything reversed from a US spec bike? Shifters, clutch/brake, etc?
How is parts support on them?

Big Grin to phpaul, great punchline.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
P250UA5, bear in mind that I'm talking through my hat here...

Control location should be standard, I wouldn't worry about that.

Parts availability could be a problem on an out-of-production, overseas-only machine. Likely nothing that cubic money couldn't fix.

A bigger problem might be getting it titled, registered and road legal for use in the US.