SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yamaha R1 first gen. **update with brief vid & question**
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yamaha R1 first gen. **update with brief vid & question** Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Other than EBay where is a good place for Yamaha parts? I need to get new rearsets and I'll probably go with something aftermarket. What kind of rearsets do you guys like?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Anyone? I think I'm gonna go with Woodcraft rearsets.

Crazy thought of the day: Would it be possible turn a R1 into a decent Scrambler?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Other than EBay where is a good place for Yamaha parts? I need to get new rearsets and I'll probably go with something aftermarket. What kind of rearsets do you guys like?

I used boats.net quite a bit when rebuilding the ol' 650.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15491 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I vote for the later years liquid silver scheme.

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Anyone know good aftermarket manufacturers for fairings? I don't think I'm gonna find OEM fairings and I want to replace at least the bottom fairings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I always liked Sharkskinz, but that was for racing.

Posts: 11616 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Anyone know good aftermarket manufacturers for fairings? I don't think I'm gonna find OEM fairings and I want to replace at least the bottom fairings.

Airtech might have what you are looking for.

Link:
http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/yamaz/prodyam.htm

Edited to direct link to Yamaha page on website.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Steve 22X,

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a forum on Facebook called Track Day Junkies, they have a section of parts for sale which is pretty good. I have a 2012 gsxr 750 that is strictly a track bike and that's what I use.

Posts: 184 | Location: Great Falls VA | Registered: February 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Have you seen this website?

http://www.extremefairings.com...773b88799ed3551bd126

Smile

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Thanks guys.

I especially like that I could design my own custom graphics. I could have some fun with that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Alrighty! Brief update.

I picked up a new battery, oil and oil filter and A new box fan. The fan will help purge the fumes. Time to do my favorite thing and drain some bad gas.

The left complete rear set is missing along with mounting bolts and the shifter and linkage. I was able to find a complete assembly in decent shape with bolts for $39 shipped. Not too bad.

It's gonna be fun to piece this thing together. I am now tearing over the body work trying to figure out if any of it is salvageable, and where things mount. I need to find some diagrams to see what is broken and what is missing.

The R1 should hopefully be ready to ride soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I took a few pics of the beastie. It's got a neat street fightered look going on. Almost looks like a sportier FZ1 or similar to that naked Aprilia. The ergos suck. Well it's not comfy to sit on, I can't wait to ride it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Auctmarts.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12932 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Well, the gas tank was full of pretty nasty gas. You can see the fuel filter in the first pic. I'm hoping the local Yamaha dealership has a new filter.I figure I might as well change it out since that gas was so dirty.

YAY! Gasoline fumes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This thing is pretty easy to work on.

I replaced a fuel line, fuel filter and put in new plugs today. It wasn't too bad. It is running but it isn't running great yet. Carbs might have sucked up some of that crud in the tank.

I'm waiting for the rear set and shifter assembly then I can finally test ride this thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Still thinking about turning it into a scrambler or a naked? Love the ergonomics on my FZ1, wonder how hard it would be to make changes to the handlebar and seat for a more comfortable ride.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Hunter, it is probably going to stay naked for a while. Both tires are brand new.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
That's a slick scooter Stick. Keep it naked or maybe turn it into an adventure bike. Roll Eyes I think that frame would look real good polished. Big Grin

Posts: 889 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I was able to pick up a complete OEM rearset / shifter assembly used but in good shape for $30 shipped on eBay. I put in new plugs, new fuel filter and fuel line but I still need to clean and tune the carbs. Is it a good idea to replace the fuel pump as preventive maintenance on a bike with 19,000 miles that has sat for years? How good are the voltage regulators on these bikes?

I'm gonna ride it as a naked bike as I slowly source quality replacement fairings, brackets and screws. I gotta figure out something about the missing front turn signals. If I remove the working rear turn signals I think it will pass NC state inspection. I might get a tail tidy kit with integrated rear turn signals and use the existing rear signals in the front.

If this R1 is reliable I'm thinking I might sell my SV650 and look for a clean RC51 or maybe a KTM 690 Enduro. A dual sport that has a similar horse power as the SV but weighs something like 130lbs less sounds fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I found carbon fiber wheels! $1500 front and $2000 for the rear. Why not roll on wheels that cost more than the bike. Big Grin In all seriousness those CF wheels look INCREDIBLE!

I never researched CF wheels. Anyone here have any experience with them? When I buy a more modern sport bike it might be something I could see myself getting.

Hopefully I'll have the R1 on the road next week!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~