SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Names People Give Their Offspring
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Names People Give Their Offspring Login/Join 
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGguy229:
Aside from true family names, some of these made up nonsense names should be considered child abuse. They don’t understand they are limiting their children’s futures with idiotic names. Sure—it’s cute when they are a baby…but I don’t think these idiot parents think about their kid graduating high school and the name gets announced. Maybe they don’t think about things like that…but then they complain about the lack of “generational wealth”. Stop limiting their options from birth with a nonsense name.

Otherwise, I’m not surprised to read the names in a police blotter.

I'm thinking the kid would be going to school with lots of other kids where similar naming conventions were used.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
You want strange names, ask all the cops out here.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone remember Frank Zappa?

Dweezel and Moon Unit. (Moon Unit was hot)

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine had the maiden name of Apple. First name was Kandyce. Dated her mom for a bit.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went to school with a fellow whose first name was “J”, the letter. He had no middle name. Nothing crazy about his last name.

Always wondered how SS and IRS would treat this. Or military if he went in.

I knew another fellow who claimed to have no middle name at birth but said the Army “highly urged” him to pick one. He did he said.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I worked with a guy named George George. Not sure what his middle name was.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
His name wasn’t weird, but I went to high school with a guy named Joel Head. We told him if he ever had a kid to name him Richard Head. I doubt he ever did it but that would have been cruel if he did. “Hey Dick Head, what are you doing?”

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Always wondered how SS and IRS would treat this. Or military if he went in.

Classic answer is Initial, parentheses-I-O-parenthesis. Looks like this: D (IO) Jones. Same for "initial only"-- not an abbreviation of a name-- middle initial. David J (IO) Jones.

Sorry, I'm a GPO Style Manual nerd.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My nephew and his wife just gave birth to a baby boy. I suggested they name him Thomas Richard Harold Rufkahr. They were not amused!!

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
In the past, people with no middle name/intial were Thomas (NMI) Jones

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I had a guy at tech school with me named Louis Louis. My Dads name is Louis, so I thought it was hilarious. I was also 18 so I was easily amused.

There was also a girl who came into our elementary school part of every year named Kookie, pronounced Cookie. The teacher kept wanting to call her Kooky. Parents were apparently traveling hippies.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:

There was also a girl who came into our elementary school part of every year named Kookie, pronounced Cookie. The teacher kept wanting to call her Kooky. Parents were apparently traveling hippies.

I also went to school with a Kookie. Strangely enough, the teacher also pronounced her name kooky.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Lakeshore Elementary School?

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Lakeshore Elementary School?

Rivera Middle School California in the mid 90s. She would probably be about 42 years old now.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Mine was mid '70's in San Mateo. Either way, hippies were probably involved.

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Speaking of hippies, we also had a kid in class with his first name Scooter. His parents were hippie bikers I was told.

Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
We gave our son the nickname Chip when he got swollen glands as a toddler, because he looked like a chipmunk. The name stuck. He's 47 years old now & that's what everybody knows him by.

As far a weird names go; I'm retired from the Dept of Corrections & we had a very long list of really stupid made up names that grew every time a new bus came in from the inner cities.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

used to play golf in Myrtle Beach who's name was George Georges

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail

used to play golf in Myrtle Beach who's name was George Georges
If he was from northeastern NJ, short, round, high IQ with zero common sense and could easily be mistaken for a member of Tony Soprano's crew, it might be the same guy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shi-Thead.
(SH - thade)

There's a book "Freakonomics".
Talks about a lot of interesting sociology/psychology related stuff. One of the chapters is all about names. 37 different ways of being "Unique", and the reality behind it.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post