SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best optic for an AR?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best optic for an AR? Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So loaded question here. I’m sure there are a ton of opinions and I’m curious as to the one that everyone agrees to.

My friend of 42 years gave me a really beautiful, brand new AR for my birthday last month.

I want a Trijicon ACOG. Out of the budget. Not happening. It’s a $1k gun, I’m not putting a $1700 optic on it.

I would like to keep it around $200, but would be willing to spend up to $500 if it was the cocksucker deluxe.

I have spent so many hours googling optics and reviews and I’m now more confused than I could imagine. Almost to the point of “fuck this, iron sights”.

What are your recommendations?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
If you want a prism sight, perhaps the Primary Arms GLx 2x will fit your needs. What you put on it really depends on the type/distance of shooting you're doing with it.
ACOGs are about $900.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’m partial to the aimpoint T or H series red dots. They can be had somewhat reasonably when on sale.

I’ve been happy for my casual usages of lower end Leupold and Nikon scopes - useful for 100-300.

I have a leupold 1-4x scope with a red dot (Firedot?) that I couldn’t get used to for close and quick. And 4x isn’t ideal for me at 200. I wouldn’t buy again and may be a karma someday.

Ymmv.

ETA: sorry, it’s been awhile since I’ve bought an aimpoint. Seems like prices are higher than I remember. I have an aimpoint pro as well which has been just fine.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
If you want an unmagnified red dot, an Aimpoint Pro is hard to beat.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
get an aimpoint. be happy forever. Everything else is a step down in some meaningful way...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Vortex Strikefire II here.
Red & green dot options
Only knock on it is that it's pretty tall overall. Makes it tough to fit in my hard cases.

Coworker put a Sparc AR on his & happy with it so far.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15302 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
My suggestion for versatility would be a magnifying optic. I have a Vortex 1-6x24mm Strike Eagle. Can be had for less than $350 and includes an illuminated reticle. I like red dots but keep them on platforms that I don’t intend to shoot at distance; ~75 yards or less. The 1-6x extends my range quite a bit over a non-magnifying dot.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure that you are looking at optics that will play nice with your eyes.

Astigmatisms may not play nice with all types of optics for example. Not to say you have one, but an easy example to illustrate that one size does not fit all.

I wanted an Aimpoint PRO, then I looked through one. Can't use it with my eyes. Got an Eotech 512 instead.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
You should get the ACOG. Heh.

I really like SWFA's scopes. I have a 6x on my PredatAR.

They are big, but good glass and tracking for the money IMO.

Trying really hard not to buy this large but awesome scope:
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-3-15...flescope-107011.html

They are actively in production so backorder isn't a bad way to go if they are OOS on what you like.

Posts: 5131 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I have been happy with the Vortex Spitfire 1x. They also offer a 3x version. It is prismatic and has options for either green or red illumination of the reticle. They are currently on sale at Bass Pro / Cabelas for a decent price.

I also just picked up a Sig Tango6 MSR but haven’t yet been to the range with it.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
In the $200 range the Romeo5 XDR works well.
$500 range is the Aimpoint PRO

For scopes I have come to prefer med power scopes over LPVO's like 2.5-10 or 4-16.

SWFA has a 2.5-10x32 for under $300, made in Japan.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
I always spend more on glass than my guns, and I've never regretted it.
You haven't said what your use will be?

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1307 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Another vote from r the Vortex Spitfire, in my case the 3X.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
I always spend more on glass than my guns, and I've never regretted it.
You haven't said what your use will be?

I'm near 1:1 on my Tikka/Nikon. Love the Monarch.
More like 3:1 on the AR/Vortex, but still happy with the Strikefire.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15302 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Go over to the rifle section as there is a ton of good info on rifle optics there plus some mighty knowledgeable people too. Many factors go into selecting an optic and cost is just one. My biggest factor is what I intend to use the rifle for, hence I have rifles with $99 optics and rifles with optics that cost more than my first new car.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
1. Aimpoint T1/T2
2. Aimpoint H1/H2
3. Aimpoint Pro

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
These types of threads always have a catch. They say “best optic for an AR” but always have the catch of a bargain basement budget that clearly won’t be “the best”.

T-Rex Arms is running a special on a ACOG TA02 with an RMR06 for $1400. That’s a bargain.

To stay within the bargain basement $200, the Vortex Sparc comes in within budget and is durable. The Aimpoint Pro is within $500 and an awesome optic.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Sparc II user here. I'm pleased and a lifetime warranty at that price point is a win.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Why are pistol and rifle questions/discussions starting to pop up in the Lounge and not in their own respective sections where they belong? Seems like it’s suddenly a trend here.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For awhile, when ACOG's were ramping-up in popularity, probably the best clone to an ACOG, that was value based, was Lucid P7, which was similarity set-up but, for $300. I don't believe the P7 is made any longer however other optic suppliers have since come on the scene with their versions supplanting Lucid.

Vortex Spitfire is likely the current reigning champ for ACOG clone. Lighter and arguably easier to use than an ACOG, Vortex has made quite a name for themselves coming out with solid mid-tier and better value optics. Primary Arms GLx 2x is also a very good value optic.

For straight red-dot, can't go wrong with Aimpoint. Pro, H2 or, T1...all super solid but, at a premium

I've been enjoying running a Low Power Variable Optic from Nightforce, however that price-point exceeds what you're looking for, and it's a bit more specialized.

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post