SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man forced to ditch $115K Ford EV truck during family road trip to Chicago
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man forced to ditch $115K Ford EV truck during family road trip to Chicago Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Now you got me thinking. I’ll admit I’ve always assumed plug in hybrid still did the regenerative braking and charging. That might be my misunderstanding. Down another rabbit hole. Lol

Glad I could open the rabbit hole for someone else. Big Grin It's your turn, sir!

quote:
The hype is real.

Yes, sir!

quote:
Originally posted by Speedbird:
Serious question: To extend road trips like OP: Could he put a Honda 2k or 5k in the bed and have it running/charging while he drove? I know it would not self sustain, even with the 5k, but could he for example turn the 200 mile range into 300?

I wondered this yesterday. Having dealt some with industrial controls, I (pessimistically) figured there's some sort of interlock in the system that won't let it charge and drive at the same time. But that's admittedly just a guess.

There's probably some law against having a generator running in the truck bed while driving, too, but that's a different rabbit hole.

God bless America.

Posts: 13507 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
You would have to be an idiot to fall for any of this EV/climate change shit.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7947 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
EV manufacturing Proterra did have lots of trouble. Electric bus manufacturer raises $650 million and only produced 550 buses with numerous defects cracked wheel wells, cracked door frames and had a recall over steering. Billions of tax credits involved. Biden predicted 2 years ago that with Proterra would own the future. Nope, the company just filed for bankruptcy. Government subsidies doe not make a successful company.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1560 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be the Blue Rhino of car batteries. Sometimes you get one that’s rusted and looks like it’s on its last legs. And over time they would fill them less and less but still charge you full price. 20lbs, well we gave you 15lbs suck it up. Yay.

I miss my old hardware store on Innerarity Point. They would go outside, put your tank on a scale, and add propane till it read 20lbs heavier. Oh the joy of not getting fucked in a business transaction. Lol

Posts: 7539 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Government subsidies do not make a successful company.

But subsidies do make a lot of political cronies very wealthy. So there's that.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pre, I agree to a point. Charging time means shit at home, I agree. It starts to mean something if I'm driving my grandkids back to their mom and I need a couple fuel stops. In my car, it is a 5 minute gas and go. I don't do that all the time but I do it enough that I don't want to charge to 80% over 40 minutes or whatever the current rate is.

Long range, all I will repeat as a nearly 10 year EV lease then owner (bought it at lease turn in for peanuts because of depreciation), not ready for prime time. People do it however, especially Tethla owners (My name for that company as the production quality is shit, the interiors are shit, and Elon to me, is a fucking huckster and full of shit) as Tethla does have the best supercharger network. That’s one good thing about that company is is they strategically place their superchargers on major interstate points where people will be road tripping major metro to major metro. But like I found out in Feb 2014 when I leased my car originally, you have to dig into the apps of the public chargers like a groundhog. For some, yes it surely will work, but we are back to the problem of weight of the vehicles, and most important to me, the price. So like you mentioned, if you need 2 fuel stops, regularly for a drive, EV’s ain’t for you unless you figure out there are Chademo chargers strategically placed, or superchargers, and you got plenty of money to buy an overpriced Tethla. If the answer is no, then the answer is no for you. I’ve said for 10 years, EV’s are for commuters, and for individuals who have a garage or driveway where they can install L2 chargers. Outside of that, it’s going to take years. And I will mention, my truck weighs around 4300 pounds. My EV weighs 3300 lbs. I don’t need the gubmint telling me shit and there is no way in hell, even if I made another hundred k per year, that I’m driving some heavy as vehicle everyday. It tears up the roads and I will not contribute to that. I’ve routinely daily driven a small hatch of some kind my entire driving life and when I’ve had trucks, they are not daily drivers.

A lot of this comes down to the individual. I’m a gearhead. I just ordered an AWD diff equipped turbo 6MT yesterday for my final performance car to own for the next 20 years. I own fast motorcycles, a factory supercharged PWC, and I love using gasoline to haul the mail, especially out of apexes. Outside of God almighty, it’s my favorite mortal passion, more than sex, more than anything else in my life so it is my true passion in life. EV’s are literally the perfect vehicle for me, for daily purposes. I get zero enjoyment out of commuting to work, the gym, the grocery store, etc. Light to light, or packed highway, dealing with phone addicts who can’t put it away. That kind of driving is boring as fuck and I look forward to rectangle cars are offered where I sit in the back and Hal9000 reliably drives me around so I can lay down, work, do something productive and not have to deal with the Chad and Karen fuckstick drivers.

Every day I see people doing the same, mundane driving, in expensive vehicles. Whether that be an 80k Raptor, fancy BMW M CUV, or a sports car. Personally I don’t care if I was in an Enzo (no love for Ferrari because no more 6MT’s), it’s boring driving. Appliance driving. I made the decision in 2014 to lease panels for my home because of arcwelder on here. Obviously a Republican, he posted on here about doing a solar lease for one thing and one thing only, finances. IE efficiency, and given our current kwh prices here, Arcwelder is a got damn genius and way, way ahead of the curve. His details and thread got me to look into leasing them from the same co., that he did, and he posted that thread in 2013, 10 got damn years ago. In early 2014 I was getting a lot of work done to the house at once, including getting the final details on my solar lease done for June installation. New HVAC, new breaker panel, insulation, radiant barrier, a few more things, and I discovered cracks in my walls due to the foundation. We are slab on clay here so everyone, I mean everyone, has to end up pier’ing their slab to fix it. Well I had 20k worth of work scheduled already so when the foundation issues crept up I called the same structural engineer that did my survey on it in 2006 when I bought it. He said and I quote “Remember when I looked at your house in 2006 when you bought it and told you just to water the F out of your foundation? Well now it’s time to fix it.” At that point I’m out of $ and all I had at my disposal that I could use was the equity I had in my STi hatch. I knew I could sell it and get over 10k out of it. Using steel beams/poles, the right way to fix it, vs. bullshit concrete pilings that my neighbors used (and thus ended up with cracks again a few years later) was costly. I negotiated from 14k, down to 10k, luckily, because a guy left a corp co and started his own business and wanted my review as he was just starting. Here I am left with what to do. I figured, meh, mundane driving, I’ll lease a Civic, Corolla, Honda Fit, don’t really care, just something cheap for now and when I saw Leafs being offered for $199 a month, I said hmmm? I had the solar lease installation scheduled that year and figured, or had an epiphany, fuck Pre, double down bro. You’re broke. You just dumped all your savings into this got damn money pit (War of the Roses), what better way to recoup then cutting most of the monthly fuel bill out. That left me with my bikes only to fuel and the lawn equipment, and the bikes, even fully tuned, still get around 25 mpg being flogged in corners. And that’s riding season only, no winters, so I was spending a few hundred a month fueling my STi, and that went down to $0 in the winter, and maybe $40-50 a month during riding season. It was a no brainer.

Again as a gearhead obsessed person, well it was the best vehicle decision I ever made. In the beginning I had massive range anxiety. It was my only car, and only had a 84 mile range. But I knew, 100%, from history, my tendencies of traveling or road tripping as I used to be a very well known DJ and flew around an awful lot to play gigs. Any time I had gigs in the TX area I’d skip the flights (pocked the $) and drive. So it wasn’t a big deal, I just rented a vehicle for the road trip. Throughout my life when road tripping I learned that hail can hit. You are on foreign turf (not your normal driving) so having that optional insurance from the car rental co that absolves you from any and all liability was a massive +. Even to this date, I’ll do this half the time. If I don’t need my truck specifically I’ll just go rent something. I don’t need a luxury vehicle to do a road trip. Like when I buy a vehicle, I pick exactly what I need for the type of driving/trip I’m going to need. People to this date don’t understand this. They drive their fancy shit state to state or across country. And many new vehicles don’t even have a spare. Fuck being in the middle of no where and getting a flat at 3am. I’ve had it hail on me too, several times. Or a straight up broken down car or flat tire. No issue with a rental. Phone the rental care 1-800 and you get almost instant response. One time the vehicle had a spare and I was playing multiple cities b2b. I phoned them, plotted a route to the closest brick and mortar, and they had another vehicle idling out front, quick swap, I’m gone. So for anyone thinking about an EV to actually save money, I type this. Just rent something if you need something for distance and it’s not an every month thing. That optional insurance also means if some asshole hits you and totals that vehicle, well guess what? You aren’t liable if you get the optional insurance. You don’t deal with the body shop, you aren’t inconvenienced, and most importantly to me because I have a number of vehicles, the shit, even if it’s my fault, does not go on my driving record and affect my rates.

Sorry for the length but I wanted anyone interested in these, well to give you examples on the why, use case, etc. If I’m 100% honest that EV of mine, the money saved on gas, the solar panels saving me kwh bills, saves me a couple of grand per year which I have taken and reinvested in other gas vehicles, or tires, maintenance, what have you, and it’s given me the opportunity to build my own dream garage of not expensive vehicles, but multiple vehicles for different use cases. It’s been a God send. Nobody looks at the Leaf, nobody pays attention to it, IE it doesn’t draw attention. It’s been the perfect DD, reliable AF, almost nil maintenance and I look forward in the future to upgrading to a newer, lightly used one to get 200+ mile range. And again, I received no government subsidies for my solar panels or my Leaf. I leased both so if any Fed incentives were received, Nissan and NRG got them, not me. I’ve bought rural land and I will take this experience there. I plan on installing at least 50 panels on the ground on a timer, a windmill, inverter, Battery back up, Generac, for self sufficiency and free juice for the daily driver, and zero to do with being green. I’ve got city water available at the curb which I will use but I’m also drilling a well for dual water supply. The water up there contains sulphuric that even with a filtration system, will turn your whites brown over time so city water will probably only be used for the clothes washer and a pressure sprayer for washing vehicles. I also removed all the Zero Emissions and EV related logos off my car once I bought it from Nissan at lease trade in as that wasn’t the point for me.

Anyone that needs a commuter look into a Leaf. Virtually no maintenance compared to gas, hybrid, etc, relatively cheap to insure, and costs less than the average new car in the US today.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12644 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I think we need an infrastructure system for EVs where you don't own the batteries - you just use them.

Make the cars so the batteries are simple plug and replace and make the recharging stations like gas stations: you pull up to the island and a robotic arm switches out your battery for a fully charged one in roughly the same amount of time as a gas fill-up. The station then charges the battery for as long as it takes.

There have been several attempts at trying this approach.

Article

It's the same problem with any technology as it evolves, they are no standards and everything is proprietary. Think cellphone chargers at one point there were many types, now there's USB-C and apple. Eventually all of this will sort itself out one or several technologies will will win the battle then everyone will fall under a couple standards. Ford just announced they are going to use Tesla plugs on their cars so now Ford owners should have access to supercharging network easily.

EV stuff is really cool, it just needs time to mature naturally. The biggest problems with it are the artificial manipulation of the free markets; waste of taxpayers dollars; and impossible mandates. If we actually somehow achieved these lofty goals of EVs and killing the ICE then we'd need to burn a lot more coal and gas to feed them and quickly scale up the grid to support the energy we are replacing with getting rid of the energy source of gas.

If we let nature run it's course and increased nuclear while waiting for renewables and storage to mature them we could end up with a better product; save many billions (if not trillions) of dollars; and be better for the environment. It will be a shame when we have all these first and second generation EVs and batteries that were rushed to market without the ability to recycle the batteries. There needs to be a way to render them safe after they've lived their lives and to recycle a significant amount of their components.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
it just needs time to mature naturally. The biggest problems with it are the artificial manipulation of the free markets; waste of taxpayers dollars; and impossible mandates.

Exactly.

God bless America.

Posts: 13507 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbird:
Serious question: To extend road trips like OP: Could he put a Honda 2k or 5k in the bed and have it running/charging while he drove? I know it would not self sustain, even with the 5k, but could he for example turn the 200 mile range into 300?

Seems like a good idea, but would he have to run the cord across the drivers door to send the current to the truck?

Does the programming allow charging to take effect while the truck is not in park?

Would he still be the bad guy if he uses one ounce of Dinojuice to get his elecrtobuggy where he wants to go?

I don't know, but I'm sure he would still get better mileage than I am.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
https://www.theepochtimes.com/...TaYTKT5WU%2BwmpcI%3D

Ford CEO Admits ‘Reality Check’ When He Took Electric F-150 Truck on Road Trip

Ford CEO Jim Farley admitted he underwent a “reality check” when he tried to make a cross-country road trip in the Ford electric F-150.

“Charging has been pretty challenging,” Mr. Farley said in a video on X, formerly known as Twitter. “It was a really good reality check of the challenges of what our customers go through and the importance of fast charging and what we’re going to have to do to improve the charging experience.”

In California, Mr. Farley said he encountered slow charging times. When using a low-speed charger, it took about 40 minutes for it to charge the electric F-150’s battery to 40 percent.

According to Ford, the company has said it partnered with Telsa to allow Ford customers to use the more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers next year. Other electric vehicles have also announced partnerships with Tesla.

“Long hauling in an electric truck is an act of pioneerism, not because it’s hard or dangerous, but because it’s a new way to experience America,” Mr. Farley wrote in a LinkedIn post on Aug. 7. “Shifting from fueling stations to charging stations requires new behaviors and opens new possibilities.”

cont...

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38690 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Man forced to ditch $115K Ford EV truck during family road trip to Chicago: ‘biggest scam of modern times’

A much bigger scam took place over the last few years. He is confused.

quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
In all, Bala spent more than $130,000 – plus tax.

It's really hard for me to feel sorry for the guy. Anyone half paying attention should know the risks of buying an electric vehicle.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4833 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post