SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'd Forgot About Dire Straits... They Were Really Good
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'd Forgot About Dire Straits... They Were Really Good Login/Join 
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
I would like Knopfler to do a rendition of Amazing Grace on his Les Paul.

It would be played at my funeral.

(Yes, I know he did Go Rest High on that Mountain with Vince Gill)

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is their Money for Nothing live:

Besides being great musicians, all of them, they each appear to be having a really good time.

-c1steve

Posts: 4055 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heathtx:

I thought he only played a Fender Stratocaster. I've never seen a picture or video with a different electric guitar.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
quote:
Originally posted by heathtx:

I thought he only played a Fender Stratocaster. I've never seen a picture or video with a different electric guitar.

Well here ya go

In this perf he plays the 1937 National resonator guitar immortalized on the cover of the Brothers in Arms album, then for the outtro, switches to a custom Pensa “Super Strat.” Incredible song.

Posts: 13272 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Here is their Money for Nothing live:

Tessa Niles. Yum <3

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what he is playing today but for years he was playing a Pensa-Suhr guitar. He has played many different guitars over the years.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
I am not sure what he is playing today but for years he was playing a Pensa-Suhr guitar. He has played many different guitars over the years.

When we saw him last September, he played the Strat, LP, a Danelectro, a blue Pensa with P90's, and a lighter-weight resonator.

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think Mark was a great guitarist.
Loved his style.
I really like their music. I was also an audiophile. And their stuff sounded great.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always liked this one. https://youtu.be/xQBKUPwG_Gk

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was also an audiophile. And their stuff sounded great.

Brothers in Arms was my go to demo CD.

Posts: 10961 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark with his own post-Dire band, from the Night in London concert DVD. I think it's one of his best renditions of Sultans of Swing. Love the sound of those Pensa guitars, especially when Mark is driving:

-MG

Posts: 1994 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
One of the greatest bands back in the 70's & 80s'. I've been lucky to attend 2 solo concerts by Mark Knopfler. His arrangements have just gotten better over the years.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
This afternoon I put on earbuds, layed back and just listened to the entire Brothers in Arms album. Masterpiece

Posts: 13272 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post