SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you know anyone who actually wants an electric car?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you know anyone who actually wants an electric car? Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
A 59 Chevy Bel Air and a 2009 Chevy Malibu are about the same weight (3500 pounds) and the Bel Air is quite a bit bigger. In a head-on collision between the two, the Bel Air comes out looking like a stepped on beer can.

New cars are definitely way safer but that video is a poor comparison because the Bel Air didn’t have an engine.

It had a 3.9L 6-cylinder engine (the article doesn't say, but probably the factory I6).

https://jalopnik.com/yes-the-i...ad-an-engine-5364071

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My backyard neighbor, who has matching expensive Tesla's. Yet mentioned to me that he doesn't have money to fix his wooden fence. LOL.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't want one for myself because they don't go far enough on a charge and are too expensive, but there is tremendous performance potential in electric cars, some of which is already being exploited. An electric motor reaches all, or almost all, of its torque the moment it starts turning. The starter motor in your car, if a stick (not automatic) and the clutch interlock bypassed, can move the whole car (but not for long). If each wheel had its own motor driving it, you could have AWD and no need for differentials, freeing up still more horsepower.

Posts: 28015 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Only a Golf Cart.

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
No Rotor = no motor.

Soooo, which one is this? Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
No Rotor = no motor.

Wankel's rotary powered cars. Mazda, Suzuki, and others were big on these just a few years ago.

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
quote:
No Rotor = no motor.

Wankel's rotary powered cars. Mazda and others were big on these just a few years ago.
Yeah, I was kidding, guess my sarcasm didn't quite come through.

ICE's and electric motors both have rotors of some flavor.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, I was kidding, guess my sarcasm didn't quite come through.

ICE's and electric motors both have rotors of some flavor.

No biggie. Figured I'd throw that one in, but left out the 3 cylinder or two stroke. Just for fun, I could have said a V-4 for all of the Ford guys out there. The Kabinenroller had a single cylinder engine. Got to sit in one, but not allowed to start it up. Frown

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping the EV vehicles will follow the flatscreen television model. My 12 y.o. Mitsubishi 52" HD TV was $2800 when we bought it. Now I can buy a 72" UHD flatscreen for more than $2000 less than I paid in 2007.
A new Tesla S for $22,000 will be my 'buy now' signal.

Our two 3.2L V6 ICE rides will do for now.

Posts: 4051 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
A new Tesla S for $22,000 will be my 'buy now' signal.

Yeah... it's going to have to make significant economic sense to get me into an electric car.
quote:
Our two 3.2L V6 ICE rides will do for now.

Yep, I understand them, I like them, and for now internal combustion is what I want.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post