SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you know anyone who actually wants an electric car?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you know anyone who actually wants an electric car? Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I just like the sound of my 40-valve V8 Ferrari rumbling along at 80 mph and idling

nothing beats that low rumble

EV's are an abomination

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
EV's are growing in the market, CAFE, EPA, societal reasons drive the manufacturers to move forard.

The 20-25 years to replace the fleet in the USA pails compared to the money and time it will take to upgrade the electrical grid in the USA to handle the additional charging.

Don't forget state and federal legislators will write new taxe laws for EV vehicles, drivers will have to pay annually to support road taxes.

Still... in the same vein as the bunny with a pancake on it's head....

A Smart Car with a busa engine....

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgwzHJo3IXM

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
The 20-25 years to replace the fleet in the USA pails compared to the money and time it will take to upgrade the electrical grid in the USA to handle the additional charging.

...and that's a whole other conversation. As the world has seen in CA, state gov (Democrats) have set up all sort of incentivizations to get the public to switch to electrical vehicles, pushed state regulators to push utilities towards 'green power sources' however, all that insistence has taken funding away from maintaining/improving the existing infrastructure.

Posts: 14699 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
You didn't have an option for "Hemi V-8"...

Posts: 7275 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Funny how people can't understand why some electric car designs aren't as safe as non-electric.

It's called the law of gross tonnage - if you driving the smallest MF-ing car around, odds are if you get hit it will be by a bigger to much bigger vehicle.

New crash systems / airbags / etc are great but physics and the laws of motion can be an unforgiving bitch.

The Smart car was originally designed as (and is still available as) a gas engine vehicle.

IIRC, the last gas engined Smart was MY18 or 19. Going forward Smart has gone electric only.
Also, RE Smart cars & safety. IIRC, telemetry show minor injuries in the Smart after a head-on with a 4000lb sedan, and no deformation of the 'safety cell' on the Smart.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02eghIfyHP0

For me, The Rivian is the only attractive full-electric vehicle.

The 2nd gen Volt wasn't bad looking, but have no idea how they are for long-term ownership. But, it does do away with the range anxiety & recharge times. IIRC, a member here has/had a Volt.

Ah, well, never mind about current gas-engined Smart cars, then.

Modern design and construction techniques do make a huge difference.

A 59 Chevy Bel Air and a 2009 Chevy Malibu are about the same weight (3500 pounds) and the Bel Air is quite a bit bigger. In a head-on collision between the two, the Bel Air comes out looking like a stepped on beer can.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_r5UJrxcck

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I know a guy that commutes from just outside baltimore to Silver Spring daily, and drives down to southern MD on weekends,

That's only a slightly above average commute around here.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
For just commuting where you can charge overight, I'm not sure how much of an infrastructure issue there is. My very basic understanding is that utilities are sized for peak usage and cut back on the number of generators running during off peak demand. The off peak hours are the ones where Eva would be charged over night. An interesting issue in Florida is peak demands are increasingly being met with solar.

Posts: 11025 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We have an EV, well it's a Golf Cart, bought it new in the late 90's, when I played a lot of golf.

New set of 48V batteries is $600 at East Penn Dekka $1000 at Interstate, every 3 years or so.

Still, it's E-lectric..... has head lights, turn signals, not as fast as a Tesla, 22 mph tops, good enough for runs to the store, pizza or daughters house...

Watching to see what comes out, the new Ford Mustange Mach-E GT has my attention.

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course the politicians have found ways to still get tax money from electric cars with road use tax license tax,etc. So don’t expect to save a lot going gas free in the long run.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If you could get it with a 3.5 EcoBoost, I'd buy a Mustang Mach-E.

Posts: 11025 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
A 59 Chevy Bel Air and a 2009 Chevy Malibu are about the same weight (3500 pounds) and the Bel Air is quite a bit bigger. In a head-on collision between the two, the Bel Air comes out looking like a stepped on beer can.

New cars are definitely way safer but that video is a poor comparison because the Bel Air didn’t have an engine.

Posts: 3933 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by ltbarber:
Wife drives BMW i3. Bought used one year old. Great price. We have two sets of solar panels in our yard. We have a home charger for it. She hasn't bought gas for almost two years! Super comfortable and cool car. 0-100 in 7 seconds! The panels and car are part of our retirement plan.

What are you a Canuck or something? 0-100mph in 7 seconds would be one of the fastest cars around. That would make it ~10.5 second 1/4mi. What kind of tires is that thing running?
That is what BMW advertises in their website. It is a high performance car, as are all BMWs.

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Max torque at zero RPM. There's NOTHING wrong with using electric motors to propel a car.

Batteries on the other hand...

quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
They remind me of glocks. Yes they do the job , but they are sterile and soul less. Compared to ICE vehicles. NO engine sound. Thats half the fun of a sports car.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I borrowed my brother's P85D Ludicrous for a few weeks. It was fun.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
My coworker has a Volt that he'll be "saving money" with until he pays it off. Big Grin
I'm guessing the resale of a Volt or any other electric car is pitiful. Big problem is the battery. The replacement cost is prohibitive.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
Of course the politicians have found ways to still get tax money from electric cars with road use tax license tax,etc. So don’t expect to save a lot going gas free in the long run.
Well then again why should the EV drivers not get stuck paying for roads etc. like the rest of us? They're using them too.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I would love to have one as a daily driver after driving a buddies Tesla. It has zero to do with the environment though. It was just perfect for everyday duties. Super fast making jumping into holes in traffic simple all while being nice and quiet.

I also would rarely ever need to stop at a gas station other than for my weekend fun car which I only drive 4-5k a year. I never drive father than the Tesla’s range and if for some strange reason I would I could rent a car for the weekend or take my wife’s if I didn’t want to take my weekend car.

This, exactly.

I couldn't care less about my carbon footprint, which is never going to cause global climate change.

I've always been after the best performance for the job at a reasonable cost. Tesla seems to have figured out the performance issues - range, power, etc. - so if they can get the cost down to where it becomes financially beneficial to drive one over a traditional internal combustion engine powered vehicle, I'm there.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
When they can match the mileage of gas and decrease the charge time (I just don’t see how) then I might be interested. Perhaps if some kind of system was created that allowed a battery pack exchange as a “fill up”, but obviously that would involve creating charging centers on a national scale.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15632 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't need anything else in my life that requires recharging.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robbiedog
posted Hide Post
I would love to have a Tesla, cool looking, fast, what's not to like? Range is crappy, but then again I have a '69 Mustang Fastback, 500hp (360 to the rear wheels), AOD, Fuel Injected......it's a hot rod, not original in the least. Also have a Yukon Denali.......but I would love a Tesla.....

Posts: 136 | Location: East Texas | Registered: December 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post