SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If it runs on combustible fuel, I don't want a battery-powered version of it
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If it runs on combustible fuel, I don't want a battery-powered version of it Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yup.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
They don't even believe it themselves. Seems like it's more about control than efficiency.

Love me some Diesel. Smells good, runs good, is good. Maybe they haven't tasted enough of it to understand... Mad

Batteries suck, just like lefty. Diesel's reliable.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I see no reason to ban gas powered small tools…but I have been better served by my battery powered ones. They have been more reliable than the previous gas versions I owned, and for my needs at home runtime is not an issue.

In addition they use a mix of battery and gas powered tools at the lawncare company I help manage. Pole saws, backpack sprayers, and some of our string trimmer and chainsaw fleet are battery powered because they have proven to be better for our needs than running all-gas. None of our mowers are battery powered, nor do we have any plans to change that. Half of our salt spreaders are gas and the other half are electric. I won’t be buying more gas powered ones. Too problematic, although we do need to add some equipment to the trucks to handle the load of the electric spreaders. It’s worth it for the additional up-time we get with the electric models. It’s not that filling the gas up takes much time on the gas powered models, but reliability has been notably better with the electric models. Now, the electric spreaders are still being powered by the engine of the truck they are in, so they are still gas powered in a way.

One of our sister companies is a golf course and driving range. We are switching to lithium ion carts as fast as we can afford to. We already got rid of all gas carts in the customer fleet, but the upgrade from lead-acid to lithium ion has been well worth it. Maintenance and operating costs have been better going from gas to battery and less, but still worth it going to the newer batteries. We still have plenty of gas powered machinery, including a Ford tractor older than I am.

I’m very happy to have the battery powered version of previously gas equipment that we current own. I would not want to go back to gas. However, not everyone has the same needs we do, so I don’t pretend that our electric equipment is always the best for everyone. I don’t support banning gas powered equipment. If people want to buy it, it’s no skin off my back. When it comes to powering small equipment, one size doesn’t fit all.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Too bad this clip is age-restricted. It would have been far funnier if I could have simply posted it without commentary.

NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfKJpdo4Cnk

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even hard wired plugged in has its disadvantages. I have an electric hedger I got years ago as the bushes I had at my old house were not thick. I Went to trim some thicker bushes recently here at my new house and it just did not have the power to cut through the thicker stems. Borrowed my FIL Stihl gas hedger. Made short work of the bushes.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Lefty can suck it if I have to spend 30+ minutes filling my etank compared to 5 at the pump.
Not to mention finding a fast charge on the road. Or waiting my turn in line at one. And pulling a trailer. Or installing equipment at home. And fires. And unknown actual $$$. Forget it.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the assist Para LOL

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Mowing my lawn in the South, at 5AM because I have an electric one, is pretty nice.

Every implement dealer I know is suggesting electric for home owners, due to reliability- and possibly reduced durability.

I was amazed at how good a small electric chainsaw is.

Personally, I’d ban my neighbor from having a gas leaf blower, because he runs it from dusk until dawn - I’m guessing as an excuse to be out of the house, but his yard does stay Leaf free in the fall and spring.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Exactly.

I burn firewood around 5 months of the year to heat my house. Wonder when my overlords will make that illegal.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8513 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
They don't even believe it themselves. Seems like it's more about control than efficiency.

Love me some Diesel. Smells good, runs good, is good. Maybe they haven't tasted enough of it to understand... Mad

I'm no lefty but do you use a battery to start that diesel ? Just askin'

Posts: 920 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I'm with you except for our Milwaukee weed whacker. I like that because my wife can use it Big Grin
If I'm doing it I grab the Echo gas powered.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My weedwacker and lawn mower are the two things so far that I wouldn't trade for a gas version. Start every time, no fuel runs, spark plug changes, air filter cleanings. Just charge the battery once in a while and it works perfectly every time. For larger more power hungry stuff then yeah gas all the way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:

I'm no lefty but do you use a battery to start that diesel ? Just askin'

Cool story bro. Ya got me. Roll Eyes

There are parts of this country that are introducing legislation,,,,, why the hell am I explaining this. What the hell planet am I on anymore.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I have a battery chainsaw. It's only because it's Handy. I also have 4 gas chainsaws up to a Stihl,044 mag. The battery saw is nice because my wife can't start a saw. But she can trim stuff with the battery saw

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered what happens to all of these battery powered devices when you lose the grid due to an ice/snow storm, tornado, high winds, hurricane, earthquake, wild fire, etc., for more than a week. Guess you're out of luck there sparky.

I don't like the idea of getting half my lawn mowed or half the driveway cleared then having to wait 3 hours for it to charge. I'd rather top off and keep going.

Funny how the Pinto was likely half as dangerous as these E Vehicles and they killed that pretty quick.

How many things to I need to have charging or in use that I need to worry about bursting into flames on me?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2/3's of all of are electric consumption is powered by fossil fuels.

Posts: 127 | Location: somewhere in the lower great lakes | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I completely agree, and it's not just due to the limited range and weak support infrastructure. I don't want to be limited in where or how far I can travel, I don't want my car driving for me, and I darn sure don't want it reporting all my movements and driving habits back to it's corporate masters, the insurance company, or the government. I know there are gas vehicles doing that these days, too, but it seems to be pretty much universal with the EVs currently on the market.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
our

Posts: 127 | Location: somewhere in the lower great lakes | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Insanity? Insanity is Bigfork Montana buying a new Bluebird school bus that is electric. Yep, an EV school bus. And it is only $375,000.00. By the way, a traditional diesel bus is about $100,000.00.

Insanity Link

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree for the greatest part.

However, I like the battery powered weed eater, chain saw and the like.
No messing with mixed gas, bad gas or pulling your guts out getting them to start.

But really, it should be totally agree.
As everybody should be able to choose for themselves.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post