SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If it runs on combustible fuel, I don't want a battery-powered version of it
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If it runs on combustible fuel, I don't want a battery-powered version of it Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I have a few battery powered tools, but that’s about it. They are so much nicer than corded tools. But these stupid politicians that want to make battery powered cars the norm by 2035, or what ever that date is, are totally clueless about the failing power grid in this country. Yea, tell me how you get your electric vehicle fueled up when the power grid can’t handle it or is down cause the stupid governor in Kalifornia shuts the power off to conserve energy or reduce the hazards of power lines starting fires in the busiest travel season of the year.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I like my battery powered drills. I was thinking of getting a battery chainsaw and leaf blower.
My point is it should be optional, buy what you want in a free country.

If Joe was serious he would turn in his beloved Corvette for an EV.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3858 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
There is no way in hell I would ever own an electric vehicle. Not gonna happen.

As far as the smaller tools go, I can see where an electric chain saw could be practical for some homeowners but here on the farm, all my chainsaws are gas and it will stay that way. I do have a battery powered Ryobi 5 inch power saw that I use for building blinds and tree stands back in my woods.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Never had a gasoline operated hand-drill … Sounds interesting! Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Never had a gasoline operated hand-drill … Sounds interesting! Wink

I'm not getting rid of mine. I can drill all day long on just 1 gallon of gas.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I mean... I'm not gonna like. I love the F out of my Long Range Model 3 Tesla. Instant torque, speed, AWD, never have to stop and "fill it up". Just plug it into the garage once or twice a week. Good to go for 300+ miles.

But I ain't trying to save the world with it & could give a fuck about my carbon foot print. I have it for the smiles and convince factor.

If I need to go farther or take a road trip. I'd take the wifes SUV instead. Cause I can top it off in 5 mins at any gas station. Instead of sitting at a super charger for 20 mins.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
As everybody should be able to choose for themselves.

I believe that's the root of our frustration with this whole mess -- we should have the option to buy and use battery-powered gear if that's our choice. But people like us don't like anyone -- particularly big gov -- telling us what we must buy and use.

If that technology is useful to you, and you think you're doing the world some good with it, then have at it. But don't go around trying to force others to adopt it, especially when it's (presently) unsustainable.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The right power for the right tool.

When I can go 700 miles a charge and charge in 15 min or less and not have to wait for than 5 min for an open charger I will think about it.

This is just a redistribution of wealth for the lefties.

Gore is getting 2 Million a month for his climate change scam.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I dont kiss my sister and I dont use battery powered chainsaws. Big Grin

All jokes aside, I may one day own a battery powered chainsaw, but as long as it's possible, I'll keep my Stihl Farmboss maintained and ready to go to work. I'm sure the battery powered saws have their place and I may buy one for specific uses, but I will always want a gas powered saw, especially in FL.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I can see the utility of have a battery saw that you can throw behind the seat in your truck and use once a year to cut the tree that fell across the road sort of thing. Otherwise? Nope. I'll take my behemoth Husky. There's nothing like the smell of 50:1 mixed with sawdust. The thought that I'm also pumping CO2 into the atmosphere is an added bonus. A few gallons of gas and a sharpener, and I can cut down the whole damned forest.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there is a role for a battery powered chainsaw. I have DeWalt tools, and I bought one of their small 12", 20 volt saws and I'm very pleased with it, as there's no mixing fuel or dealing with a cantankerous 2 stroke engine. It's good for small jobs like cutting up downed limbs, etc.

Posts: 79 | Location: Wooster, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Yeah, I can see the utility of have a battery saw that you can throw behind the seat in your truck and use once a year to cut the tree that fell across the road sort of thing.
This ^^^^^

One of my best friends has a cabin in the north woods with about fifteen minutes of two-track between it and the last paved road. Sometimes stuff falls into that two-track that must be removed to get by. I don't want to stench-up the interior of the Jeep with a gas-powered chain saw. So I can see myself someday saying "Enough of this," and going out and buying a small battery-powered chain saw.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Electric cars and power equipment have their niche. The problem is being forced into them under the scam premise of "saving the planet."

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Et tu Harley-Davidson?

Corporate suicide watch: Harley-Davidson plans to go all-electric
By Thomas Lifson

I can’t think of a worse example of a corporate CEO misreading his customer base than this via the Robb Report (Hat tip: Ed Driscoll, Instapundit)

“At some point in time, Harley Davidson will be all-electric,” the executive [Harley-Davidson CEO Jochen Zeitz] recently told Dezeen. “But that’s a long-term transition that needs to happen. It’s not something you do overnight.”

Zeitz’s pronouncement seems guaranteed to make a not-insignificant portion of the manufacturer’s customer base cringe. For many enthusiasts, the thing that really sets a Harley apart from other motorcycles—American-made or otherwise—is a thunderously loud internal combustion engine. But the company knows that no matter how important those large-displacement mills might be change is on the horizon.

https://www.americanthinker.co..._go_allelectric.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Don't buy HOG stock! What a thunderously loud mistake that would be! Roll Eyes

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I agree for the most part but I do love my battery powered weed whacker, edger and pole saw. Very convenient for my smallish yard. Sold all my gas powered stuff

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
How is a landscaper supposed to keep his battery power equipment charged for a day's work? Either he'd have to take a shitload of batteries with him, or a diesel generator to charge them.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
How is a landscaper supposed to keep his battery power equipment charged for a day's work? Either he'd have to take a shitload of batteries with him, or a diesel generator to charge them.

Landscapers in California better be finding an answer fast. I'm sure it will only apply to small business owners. The big boys will get a pass. Roll Eyes

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Diesel's reliable.

Today's Diesel motor is clean. quiet and more reliable than the older Diesel motor of the 70's. Will run on anything that can be converted into oil. (Plastic bags?)

It's too bad that VW caved into the Greenies.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Lately, I've been intentionally finding R95 or better Diesel fuel for my SUV. R95 is not bio-deisel, but is made from renewal resources using a different chemical process that results in a more consistent, clean (for the engine), and higher energy content Diesel. So, my Diesel is actually quite "green" if I were at all concerned with that.

Battery powered stuff has their place. Not everywhere, mind you. But, the technology is progressing along rapidly. For many years, you really couldn't touch a Coleman propane lantern for brightness and run time. It was worth the hassle dealing with mantels, the fragile glass globe, the bulk, noise, and tip-over/fire/heat danger. But, this year I've decided that the LED technology has progressed far along enough that I'm searching for area lighting/lanterns to replace my old Coleman lantern. A typical Coleman lantern throws about 1000 lumens, which seems like a piece of cake for an LED lantern these days.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post