SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How are you cooking your turkey?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are you cooking your turkey? Login/Join 
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Oven roasted 22lb bird, I rub an herbed butter into the skin and leave it alone until done.

Always get complements on the flavor and moisture content, never had to brine or baste.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
We roasted a 16 lb. bird from a local farmer last Monday, and we have leftovers for the week. We're going to my sister in-law's for Thanksgiving. It's nice to have someone else do the cooking (I always volunteer to do the dishes).

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8523 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Oven roasted, 3 day dry brine, 20lb bird.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Brined, spatchcocked, sprayed with duck fat as a binder, well seasoned and then smoked on my pellet smoker.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Our kids are scattered all over the country, (WI, DE, SC, PA & FL), so it's just going to be my wife & I, and one of her friends whose husband died this past year.

So we've scaled back to just a turkey breast, (roasted), and with all the fixings, and desserts. The three of us are all in our 70's, so we'll probably still be eating leftovers for a week.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all!

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Ours is being prepared by an ancient and highly secret technique that makes it come out looking (and tasting) like lobsters... Razz

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Ours is being prepared by an ancient and highly secret technique that makes it come out looking (and tasting) like lobsters... Razz

And I'll bet there aren't any meat leftovers, are there?

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:

Somewhere between damned little and none. If I'm lucky and give enough guests the stink eye, there might be enough left for a sammich. Big Grin

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
quote:

Lobster sandwiches? No, probably not.
Lobster soup? Hmmm, might be something possible there.
Lobster/noodle casserole?
Lobster salad?
Lobster tetrazzini?
Lobster enchiladas?

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stuffed with fruits, rubbed with butter, roasted in the oven. Recipe from a Jean Pierre video.
https://youtu.be/BNyHqRjMx7o

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

Lobster salad?
Lobster tetrazzini?
Lobster enchiladas?

A lobster stew is hard to beat, but I seriously doubt there'll be enough left. A dozen lobsters for 5 adults is quite a stretch.

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We're doing traditional but we flip the bird during the baking. This has always resulted in rave reviews from guests.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Injected with Cavenders Greek seasoning flavored butter, rubbed with the same and cooked in the "Big Easy" oil less fryer.

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'm opting for a 14 hour sous vide rib roast finished over charcoal with thyme and rosemary butter coupled with my home made horseradish and dill sauce.
Sides are loaded mashed taters and steamed green beans with slivered almonds.

I'm not much for tradition.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Since it is just me this year, I'll be having pheasant, pan fried and simmered in a sour cream sauce.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just a turkey breast this year, pressure cooked in our Ninja Foodi. I'm delighted to not have to rangle a 14 pound turkey.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spatchcocked and smoked. Butter and rub under and on the skin.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
My plan is to smoke it Aaron Franklin method but now mulling on cooking it today as it's supposed to be raining and cold tomorrow.

Plan B would be to just do it in the oven - but we love smoke here in Texas.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

Lobster salad?
Lobster tetrazzini?
Lobster enchiladas?

A lobster stew is hard to beat, but I seriously doubt there'll be enough left. A dozen lobsters for 5 adults is quite a stretch.

Lobster Bisque

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Normally spatchcocked on the smoker but just doing a breast this year.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post