SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How are you cooking your turkey?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are you cooking your turkey? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Leftover turkey got made into turkey pot pie.
My wife makes a great chicken pot pie, but this blew that out of the water, different recipe as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Brined in saltwater and apple cider for 4 days
Stuffed with granny Smith apples and an orange
Smoked on my Weber kettle with charcoal and applewood

Came out perfect, just like usual. Not much left of the 20 pounder.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
I butchered the turkey before I cooked it and dry brined it in the frig for 24 hours. Fried everything skin-side down on the stove until the skin was crispy. I stuck a probe thermometer in one of the breasts and roasted it at 450° and pulled them and the wings at 155°. I let the thigh and drums go to 190°.

This is the way for me from now on.

JP

Posts: 2051 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, nor turkey for me this year. I was solo, so I made a duck instead.

Roast duck, roasted new potatoes, roasted acorn squash with honey/maple syrup butter glaze. With shiitake mushrooms, portobello, and Bella mushrooms and onions, with butter, white wine, soy and Worcestershire sauce.

The duck was stuffed with apple, pear, fig date, celery, carrots and onions. Rubbed down with salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, nutmeg. It was basted with the honey/maple syrup butter at the end.

It was delicious.

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post

After a 16 hour sous vide and seared on the Webber Kettle over lump.

And with the fixn's!

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Leftover turkey got made into turkey pot pie.
My wife makes a great chicken pot pie, but this blew that out of the water, different recipe as well.

Outstanding! I like creative left-overs.

I got the carcus and bought some more wings to roast, made stock for more dressing and the rest for soup.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/re...urkey-recipe-1950271

Been using Alton Browns method for 12 or so years. Turns out great.

We used the same recipe. Omitted the ginger, apple & cinnamon though.
Brined for about 15hrs, not a dry bit of turkey to be had.
24lb bird, total about 3.5hrs in the oven.

Us too. I never really cared for turkey until my wife tried it Alton's way. It's amazing. So juicy and the sandwiches from leftovers are the best.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
We let someone else do it this year even though we had a volunteer come to the door...

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My wife made regular roasted turkey, and I made some of the leftovers into pot pie the other day. It was good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Dried it off well, left out in fridge for 24 hours to crisp the skin, salted and buttered, then covered in tin foil and cooked for 10 hours at 200, uncovered and cooked until brown at 450.

We do it that way to get it super moist!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I brined both. Baked one on Thanksgiving. Smoked the 2nd on Saturday @ 225 w/ Apple wood. spatchcocked it first and it took about 3.5 hours.

Smoked Turkey was far above and beyond the baked one. So good... My 9 year old son was beside me as I carved it. Another piece! Another! Skin is soooo good!!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post