SIGforum
How are you cooking your turkey?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5060064694

November 23, 2022, 05:33 AM
Gibb
How are you cooking your turkey?
Oven roasted 22lb bird, I rub an herbed butter into the skin and leave it alone until done.

Always get complements on the flavor and moisture content, never had to brine or baste.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.
November 23, 2022, 06:07 AM
chbibc
We roasted a 16 lb. bird from a local farmer last Monday, and we have leftovers for the week. We're going to my sister in-law's for Thanksgiving. It's nice to have someone else do the cooking (I always volunteer to do the dishes).

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.
November 23, 2022, 06:11 AM
MikeGLI
Oven roasted, 3 day dry brine, 20lb bird.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.
November 23, 2022, 06:35 AM
Jeff Yarchin
Brined, spatchcocked, sprayed with duck fat as a binder, well seasoned and then smoked on my pellet smoker.
November 23, 2022, 07:31 AM
Ironbutt
Our kids are scattered all over the country, (WI, DE, SC, PA & FL), so it's just going to be my wife & I, and one of her friends whose husband died this past year.

So we've scaled back to just a turkey breast, (roasted), and with all the fixings, and desserts. The three of us are all in our 70's, so we'll probably still be eating leftovers for a week.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all!

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell
November 23, 2022, 07:38 AM
PHPaul
Ours is being prepared by an ancient and highly secret technique that makes it come out looking (and tasting) like lobsters... Razz

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
November 23, 2022, 07:43 AM
Ironbutt
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Ours is being prepared by an ancient and highly secret technique that makes it come out looking (and tasting) like lobsters... Razz

And I'll bet there aren't any meat leftovers, are there?

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell
November 23, 2022, 08:16 AM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:

Somewhere between damned little and none. If I'm lucky and give enough guests the stink eye, there might be enough left for a sammich. Big Grin

November 23, 2022, 08:20 AM
Expert308
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
quote:

Lobster sandwiches? No, probably not.
Lobster soup? Hmmm, might be something possible there.
Lobster/noodle casserole?
Lobster salad?
Lobster tetrazzini?
Lobster enchiladas?
November 23, 2022, 08:23 AM
MRBTX
Stuffed with fruits, rubbed with butter, roasted in the oven. Recipe from a Jean Pierre video.
https://youtu.be/BNyHqRjMx7o
November 23, 2022, 08:37 AM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

Lobster salad?
Lobster tetrazzini?
Lobster enchiladas?

A lobster stew is hard to beat, but I seriously doubt there'll be enough left. A dozen lobsters for 5 adults is quite a stretch.

November 23, 2022, 08:39 AM
UTsig
We're doing traditional but we flip the bird during the baking. This has always resulted in rave reviews from guests.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.
November 23, 2022, 08:45 AM
BigSwede
Injected with Cavenders Greek seasoning flavored butter, rubbed with the same and cooked in the "Big Easy" oil less fryer.

November 23, 2022, 09:08 AM
Ryanp225
I'm opting for a 14 hour sous vide rib roast finished over charcoal with thyme and rosemary butter coupled with my home made horseradish and dill sauce.
Sides are loaded mashed taters and steamed green beans with slivered almonds.

I'm not much for tradition.
November 23, 2022, 09:12 AM
ggile
Since it is just me this year, I'll be having pheasant, pan fried and simmered in a sour cream sauce.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin
November 23, 2022, 09:29 AM
parabellum
Just a turkey breast this year, pressure cooked in our Ninja Foodi. I'm delighted to not have to rangle a 14 pound turkey.
November 23, 2022, 10:24 AM
stkfox
Spatchcocked and smoked. Butter and rub under and on the skin.
November 23, 2022, 10:34 AM
smschulz
My plan is to smoke it Aaron Franklin method but now mulling on cooking it today as it's supposed to be raining and cold tomorrow.

Plan B would be to just do it in the oven - but we love smoke here in Texas.
November 23, 2022, 10:57 AM
Flash-LB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

Lobster salad?
Lobster tetrazzini?
Lobster enchiladas?

A lobster stew is hard to beat, but I seriously doubt there'll be enough left. A dozen lobsters for 5 adults is quite a stretch.

Lobster Bisque
November 23, 2022, 11:01 AM
dsiets
Normally spatchcocked on the smoker but just doing a breast this year.