SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else brush their teeth with bar soap?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else brush their teeth with bar soap? Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
No, I'm not kidding.

A long time ago, when I was poor, I would occasionally rinse my mouth with soap and water, and brush my teeth with soap. It usually made me gag.

Then a few years ago a dentist told me the best thing to use to to clean your teeth, gums and mouth in general is the same bar soap you bathe with. I thought he was nuts.

A few weeks ago I remembered what my dentist said and feeling particularly bold, I figured I'd give it another whirl. I use plain white Dial soap. Once I got past the suds and the taste, which isn't bad just different, and the gag reflex, which I discovered I could really control, I discovered my teeth and mouth never felt cleaner. I've been doing it ever since. Now my wife thinks I'm nuts but I think I'm hooked. Food and drink taste better and I don't wake up with shit-breath in the morning (my mouth apparently plops open when I'm sleeping). My teeth feel way cleaner and smoother after a brush with soap than they do with Crest. And I think my sensitivity is actually getting better.

I stopped using shampoo years ago and just wash my hair with the same Dial soap I bathe with. Now I'm going to start using my Dial for my teeth.

Give it a whirl.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It might be time to put the alcohol away(kidding). Plain Dial soap is great for those that have a sensitivity to other soaps or before surgery, as it does not have as many additives/scents in it and leaves a clean feel on your skin. I am not sure if I could brush with it though.

Posts: 7054 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
No reason not to.

I, too, stopped using shampoo some time ago. I've made a conscious effort to get away from all of the endocrine disrupting chemicals. Shampoos, soaps, cosmetics, toothpaste, etc..., are loaded with them.

I've been making my own soap for around five years or so now, and had a rather elaborate recipe that I used to use. I tried to tinker with it for a long time to come up with a good one that I could use for shampoo as well, to no avail. I was reading a blog some months back and discovered a very basic recipe for a shampoo bar that rinsed well (with the addition of some apple cider vinegar). Since then, I have discarded my old soap recipe and just use the shampoo bar for both body and head.

I may have to try using it for toothpaste as well.

Posts: 20557 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
"Over the years I got to be quite a connoisseur of soap. Though my personal preference was for Lux, I found that Palmolive had a nice, piquant after-dinner flavor - heavy, but with a touch of mellow smoothness. Lifebuoy, on the other hand... (Yechh!)"

Sorry couldn't resist! Smile

Never used soap myself. I'd probably gag too lol.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Uh, no.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10531 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
"Over the years I got to be quite a connoisseur of soap. Though my personal preference was for Lux, I found that Palmolive had a nice, piquant after-dinner flavor - heavy, but with a touch of mellow smoothness. Lifebuoy, on the other hand... (Yechh!)"

Sorry couldn't resist! Smile

Never used soap myself. I'd probably gag too lol.

LOL I KNEW someone was going to post that.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It never occurred to me to do such a thing. Probably tastes horrible.

I'll stick with Crest, thanks.

Posts: 109017 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can brush teeth with a tiny drop of Dr. Bronner’s Soap.

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ever douche with WD-40?

Posts: 109017 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I have moved away from showering with bar soap...now I only use toothpaste to bathe with and I floss those hard to reach places Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Probably tastes horrible.

It's actually not too bad. It's not a "piquant" flavor at all. It's really rather mild. Somewhat almondy. One thing I've noticed is that for hours I feel like I just took a drink of really clean, sweet, fresh water. Seems like my mouth salivates a bit more afterwards, too.

posted Hide Post
I had an uncle who in a drunken stupor while in Vegas put Ben Gay on his toothbrush. He said he would never forget it!

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2939 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
My mother on more than one occasion would wash my mouth out with a bar of soap as punishment for using bad language. After those experiences using it as toothpaste never crossed my mind Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19702 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Now if he can only come up with something to stop the diarrhea it's causing...

Posts: 21339 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
I had an uncle who in a drunken stupor while in Vegas put Ben Gay on his toothbrush. He said he would never forget it!

I had an uncle do the same thing with my tube of Clearasil when I was a teenager...he came cussing out of the bathroom with a mouth full of flesh colored foam Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My momma used Irish Spring to wash my mouth out once for using some sailor words; I still remember the flavor...40+ years later...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11455 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't keep your toothpaste and the Preparation H in the same drawer, then brush your teeth without your glasses on. Don't ask me how I know this.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:

I had an uncle do the same thing with my tube of Clearasil when I was a teenager...Big Grin

I accidentally did it once with some kind of anti-itch cream. In the dark it looked like a tube of Colgate. Came out white, too. Sure didn't taste like it.

Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Ever douche with WD-40?

Well, no, but then I’m a guy.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post