SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATF Requests Funding for Pistol Brace Amnesty Registration Program
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF Requests Funding for Pistol Brace Amnesty Registration Program Login/Join 
posted
https://www.ammoland.com/2022/...ogram/#axzz7dk7VvEn9

AmmoLand News has uncovered information showing that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) is planning to force gun owners to register firearms with pistol braces as a National Firearms Act (NFA) ATF Form 1 item.

The document (embedded below) was uncovered in a budget justification from the ATF to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). This form confirms the leaked information AmmoLand News has heard for months from our inside sources at the ATF.

The document reads: Due to the upcoming Amnesty Registration of Pistol Brace weapons, photos of the weapon being registered will be required to prove the weapon does utilize a pistol brace in its configuration and would qualify for an amnesty registration.

Pistol Brace Amnesty/Registration
Our ATF inside sources have told AmmoLand News that the ATF was planning for an amnesty period where gun owners would be able to register their braced pistols as short-barreled rifles (SBR) and that it is expected they will receive a free tax stamp. The ATF charges $200 per SBR. Currently, there are at least four million braced pistols in the United States.

The ATF posted the proposed pistol brace rules to the Federal Register late last year for public comment. Over 250,000 comments were submitted, with most comments being against any new regulations. The gun community let their voices be heard, and the ATF ignored them.

According to this document, owners of braced pistols would have to submit photos of their firearms to the ATF to prove that they qualify for “amnesty registration.”
The ATF has issued multiple letters stating that pistol stabilizing braces are legal to put on pistols, but this action would change agency’s course.

The White House ordered the ATF to redefine the definition of a firearm and change rules surrounding pistol stabilizing devices. The proposed rule covering frames and receivers was unveiled 30 days later, and the proposed rule for braced pistols was revealed 60 days later. The frames and receiver rule went into effect on August 24th after a 120-day grace period.

The final pistol stabilizing device rule has not been finalized. Based on this budget request and information from our sources, it seems to include a registry. The ATF recently implemented the eForms systems for some Form 1 NFA items. The new system automates a lot of the tedious work that ATF employees and the National Firearms Act (NFA) division used to do manually. It remains to be seen if the system can withstand millions of additional form submissions.

This influx of millions of new applications will also backlog any other forms submitted for processing. The ATF promised that the average time to process a Form 1 tax stamp application would be 90 days. The ATF is nowhere close to that number, with only 30% being processed in the promised time period. With millions of additional applications, the 90-day period seems to be a pipe dream.

The new rule is expected to be announced by December of this year.

Full document:

https://www.scribd.com/documen...#download&from_embed

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Step one- send pics of your “sbr” that we admitted was not an sbr years ago.

Step 2- knock knock knock.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congressional hearings on the pistol brace. And these fools are making decisions that impact our lives in every realm. Think about that.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
And these fools are making decisions that impact our lives in every realm. Think about that.

Par for the course Roll Eyes

Thanks for posting.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bless their hearts.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
And these fools are making decisions that impact our lives in every realm. Think about that.

Not to mention we pay these people.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I do not understand is the pistol brace was originally created to assist and help handicapped people shoot safely and more accurately. With the government removing this item or making it harder to obtain by registering, etc. , does it not discriminate against the handicap people ??? Same with magazine capacity bans. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3056 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, if this ends up being true, I’ll slap a brace on everything I can. $100ish bucks for a brace vs $200? It’s like a sale on tax stamps. I wonder if these have to be engraved with personal information or can be tied to a trust? Probably the latter. Really, I wish they’d just leave us the fuck alone. They’re trying to enforce the spirit of the law while we’re following the letter of the law. Can’t have that, must change the wording to achieve what they wanted in the first place.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Where are you finding the '$100ish bucks for a brace vs $200'? I do not find that in the ATF Supporting Statement/Justification doc, and only find this from the article:
quote:
Our ATF inside sources have told AmmoLand News that the ATF was planning for an amnesty period where gun owners would be able to register their braced pistols as short-barreled rifles (SBR) and that it is expected they will receive a free tax stamp. The ATF charges $200 per SBR. Currently, there are at least four million braced pistols in the United States.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I did precede that with “if this ends up being true.” I’m not jumping to any conclusions yet, but there is some room for reasonable speculation here. I’m assuming the words “amnesty registration” mean what they mean. Was there a fee during the 1968 NFA amnesty registration? I wasn’t around for that and I’m having a hard time finding the answer.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
They can register deez nutz!

Posts: 11152 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Well, if this ends up being true, I’ll slap a brace on everything I can. $100ish bucks for a brace vs $200? It’s like a sale on tax stamps.
And comically, I'm going the exact opposite direction. I have two AR pistols and am strongly considering replacing both braces with standard adjustable Magpul stocks. And no, neither will be photo'd or sent to the ATF if I opt to do that. And as far as NFA goes, never heard of it and don't care about it. I'm done knuckling under to this unconstitutional garbage. The ATF is nothing but a criminal organization.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
They can register deez nutz!
Big Grin I actually nuked a rear speaker in my truck the other day playing what is currently my new theme song....Kid Rock - We The People.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Good lord, that was agonizing to watch. They are either willfully ignorant or intentionally dishonest. And I'm not sure the two are mutually exclusive.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^Where are you finding the '$100ish bucks for a brace vs $200'? I do not find that in the ATF Supporting Statement/Justification doc, and only find this from the article:
quote:

He is likely referring the paying $100 for a brace itself (for one’s that he does not already have) then using the amnesty to make it an SBR without paying $200 for a stamp.

No need to spend $100. Shockwaves are like $25.

Half tempted to go out and buy like 5 more lowers to add to the amnesty list I already have and have 5 SBR lowers to build later saving me $1k in stamps.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Well, if this ends up being true, I’ll slap a brace on everything I can. $100ish bucks for a brace vs $200? It’s like a sale on tax stamps.
And comically, I'm going the exact opposite direction. I have two AR pistols and am strongly considering replacing both braces with standard adjustable Magpul stocks. And no, neither will be photo'd or sent to the ATF if I opt to do that. And as far as NFA goes, never heard of it and don't care about it. I'm done knuckling under to this unconstitutional garbage. The ATF is nothing but a criminal organization.

So are the rest of the current administration. Puppet leader Xiden has all but outright declared war on half of the country.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:

Not to mention we pay these people.

Their arrogance is what bothers me the most.
Those assholes forget that THEY are supposed to work for US!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

He is likely referring the paying $100 for a brace itself (for one’s that he does not already have) then using the amnesty to make it an SBR without paying $200 for a stamp.

Half tempted to go out and buy like 5 more lowers to add to the amnesty list I already have and have 5 SBR lowers to build later saving me $1k in stamps.

I think I'm going to buy some extra lowers for the future.

I'm not going to buy more braces. Ill just move around the ones I have now for the pics. Its not like they will ever know.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Exactly this. I have a Shockwave on my Scorpion with the AR receiver extension that would go nicely on an AR. Can keep the receiver extension and endcap for a stock. The cheapest option for the Scorpion that isn’t an AR brace is the SB that mimics the Scorpion stock’s lines, and it is $100. My Bren already has this same one on it, and I have the SBA3 it came with that can go on another AR and keep the endcap.

Thanks for the tip on the Shockwave, I had no idea they were that cheap. I got my Scorpion used and it was already on it. I’ll probably end up doing what you’re suggesting and throw together a half dozen braced AR lowers if this amnesty thing works out how we’re guessing. I finally managed to get my hands on a 10.3” CMMG barrel for my PS90 I’m going to paper pretty soon, so I’ll be suddenly going from no SBR’s to kinda flush with them in relatively short order.

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
They aren’t even pretending they aren’t going to invent criminals and confiscate everything door to door. Scary times.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post