SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    American idiot gets killified by remote Indian tribe with history of violence against intruders
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
American idiot gets killified by remote Indian tribe with history of violence against intruders Login/Join 
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Folks in this thread trying to apply modern laws and modern civilized understandings of humanity to an entirely uncivilized, animal like civilization. Absolute madness.

These Indians are uncivilized savages. As such, they live like savages. They rape, plunder, and kill at will, because that's was uncivilized people do. For fawks sake.

Uncontacted tribes should just be left the hell alone and appreciated for what they are. .. a people from a long gone era. Kind of like watching an alligator in the wild. Observe from afar, and appreciate it for what it is.

Bet you a crisp dollar bill that the rape, pillage, murder stats of our modern "civilized" world is much worse than that of these "savages".

Clothing and technology choices aside, the idea that they're all that different or we're all that better is what's absolute madness.

Not that I'd rather live like them, I like my phone and indoor plumbing.

I'm also a big proponent of just leaving people the hell alone, but on the bolded portion of your comment I'd take that friendly wager. Smile

I'm currently listening to Jordan Peterson's 12 rules for life on Audible. In one of the chapters regarding the responsibility of parents to properly socialize their child, he dispels the idea of the "Ignoble savage". Here is the direct quote from his book in it's entirety so that the context is clear. In summary, less civilized tribes and cultures have historically had significantly higher murder rates than todays more modern and more socialized cultures.

quote:

The Ignoble Savage

It has been said that every individual is the conscious or unconscious follower of some influential philosopher. The belief that children have an intrinsically unsullied spirit, damaged only by culture and society, is derived in no small part from the eighteenth-century Genevan French philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau. Rousseau was a fervent believer in the corrupting influence of human society and private ownership alike. He claimed that nothing was so gentle and wonderful as man in his pre-civilized state. At precisely the same time, noting his inability as a father, he abandoned five of his children to the tender and fatal mercies of the orphanages of the time.

The noble savage Rousseau described, however, was an ideal—an abstraction, archetypal and religious—and not the flesh-and-blood reality he supposed. The mythologically perfect Divine Child permanently inhabits our imagination. He’s the potential of youth, the newborn hero, the wronged innocent, and the long-lost son of the rightful king. He’s the intimations of immortality that accompany our earliest experiences. He’s Adam, the perfect man, walking without sin with God in the Garden before the Fall. But human beings are evil, as well as good, and the darkness that dwells forever in our souls is also there in no small part in our younger selves. In general, people improve with age, rather than worsening, becoming kinder, more conscientious, and more emotionally stable as they mature. Bullying at the sheer and often terrible intensity of the schoolyard rarely manifests itself in grown-up society. William Golding’s dark and anarchistic Lord of the Flies is a classic for a reason.

Furthermore, there is plenty of direct evidence that the horrors of human behaviour cannot be so easily attributed to history and society. This was discovered most painfully, perhaps, by the primatologist Jane Goodall, beginning in 1974, when she learned that her beloved chimpanzees were capable of and willing to murder each other (to use the terminology appropriate to humans). Because of its shocking nature and great anthropological significance, she kept her observations secret for years, fearing that her contact with the animals had led them to manifest unnatural behaviour. Even after she published her account, many refused to believe it. It soon became obvious, however, that what she observed was by no means rare.

Bluntly put: chimpanzees conduct inter-tribal warfare. Furthermore, they do it with almost unimaginable brutality. The typical full-grown chimp is more than twice as strong as a comparable human being, despite their smaller size. Goodall reported with some terror the proclivity of the chimps she studied to snap strong steel cables and levers. Chimps can literally tear each other to pieces—and they do. Human societies and their complex technologies cannot be blamed for that. “Often when I woke in the night,” she wrote, “horrific pictures sprang unbidden to my mind—Satan [a long-observed chimp] cupping his hand below Sniff’s chin to drink the blood that welled from a great wound in his face… Jomeo tearing a strip of skin from Dé’s thigh; Figan, charging and hitting, again and again, the stricken, quivering body of Goliath, one of his childhood heroes.” Small gangs of adolescent chimps, mostly male, roam the borders of their territory. If they encounter foreigners (even chimps they once knew, who had broken away from the now-too-large group) and, if they outnumber them, the gang will mob and destroy them, without mercy. Chimps don’t have much of a super-ego, and it is prudent to remember that the human capacity for self-control may also be overestimated. Careful perusal of book as shocking and horrific as Iris Chang’s The Rape of Nanking, which describes the brutal decimation of that Chinese city by the invading Japanese, will disenchant even a committed romantic. And the less said about Unit 731, a covert Japanese biological warfare research unit established at that time, the better. Read about it at your peril. You have been warned.

Hunter-gatherers, too, are much more murderous than their urban, industrialized counterparts, despite their communal lives and localized cultures. The yearly rate of homicide in the modern UK is about 1 per 100,000. It’s four to five times higher in the US, and about ninety times higher in Honduras, which has the highest rate recorded of any modern nation. But the evidence strongly suggests that human beings have become more peaceful, rather than less so, as time has progressed and societies became larger and more organized. The !Kung bushmen of Africa, romanticized in the 1950s by Elizabeth Marshal Thomas as “the harmless people,” had a yearly murder rate of 40 per 100,000, which declined by more than 30% once they became subject to state authority. This is a very instructive example of complex social structures serving to reduce, not exacerbate, the violent tendencies of human beings. Yearly rates of 300 per 100,000 have been reported for the Yamomami of Brazil, famed for their aggression—but the stats don’t max out there. The denizens of Papua, New Guinea, kill each other at yearly rates ranging from 140 to 1000 per 100,000. However, the record appears to be held by the Kato, an indigeneous people of California, 1450 of whom per 100,000 met a violent death circa 1840.

Because children, like other human beings, are not only good, they cannot simply be left to their own devices, untouched by society, and bloom into perfection. Even dogs must be socialized if they are to become acceptable members of the pack. Children are much more complex than dogs. This means that they are much more likely to go complexly astray if they are not trained, disciplined and properly encouraged. This means that it is not just wrong to attribute all the violent tendencies of human beings to the pathologies of social structure. It’s wrong enough to be virtually backward. The vital process of socialization prevents much harm and fosters much good. Children must be shaped and informed, or they cannot thrive. This fact is reflected starkly in their behavior: kids are utterly desperate for attention from both peers and adults because such attention, which renders them effective and sophisticated communal players, is vitally necessary.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Folks in this thread trying to apply modern laws and modern civilized understandings of humanity to an entirely uncivilized, animal like civilization. Absolute madness.

These Indians are uncivilized savages. As such, they live like savages. They rape, plunder, and kill at will, because that's was uncivilized people do. For fawks sake.

Uncontacted tribes should just be left the hell alone and appreciated for what they are. .. a people from a long gone era. Kind of like watching an alligator in the wild. Observe from afar, and appreciate it for what it is.

Bet you a crisp dollar bill that the rape, pillage, murder stats of our modern "civilized" world is much worse than that of these "savages".

Clothing and technology choices aside, the idea that they're all that different or we're all that better is what's absolute madness.

Not that I'd rather live like them, I like my phone and indoor plumbing.

I'll take that bet ... but you're going to have to get the stats for the savages. Razz

Posts: 2544 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I also am quite certain that we murder, rape, and pillage at far lower rates than did hunter gatherers, agrarian, and even relatively recent pre-industrial peoples. I think humans have gotten consistently more peaceful throughout our history.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think you'll have to pay up Brett.

The 'Noble Savage' is a myth.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
I'll take that bet ... but you're going to have to get the stats for the savages. Razz

Smile