SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you ever started a book, and been immediately smacked by its current relevance?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever started a book, and been immediately smacked by its current relevance? Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut. I read it back in the 1970's. It’s about computers and machines taking over the world and putting people out of work if I remember correctly.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Voltaire's Candide for the sheer absurdity of life.

And MacBeth in the original Klingon.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently had that experience with a tv series. JK Simmons starred as a man who passed thru to a parallel world experienced severe loss of freedom due to a viral pandemic. It was only slightly more extreme than our recent "lockdown" situation, but was made in 2016. I had to stop watching it.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Oryx and Crake.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Read the Alex Fletcher boxset a few months ago. Survival fiction based on a flu pandemic that I thought was strangely familiar to current events.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
The Right to Bear Arms: After the Riots Begin by Mike Foster MD

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post