SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you ever started a book, and been immediately smacked by its current relevance?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever started a book, and been immediately smacked by its current relevance? Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted
During these troubled, and frustrating, times, I have felt a need to get a bigger picture. To that end, I decided I’d try a new book. I began reading The Enchiridion by Epictetus. Oddly, I’ve never really read much of the Stoics, and I was immediately floored by the relevance of the first three pages. If you will pardon the long quote. I want to quote the first section in its entirety.

quote:

“There are things which are within our power, and there are things which are beyond our power. Within our power are opinion, aim, desire, aversion, and, in one word, whatever affairs are our own. Beyond our power are body, property, reputation, office, and, in one word, whatever are not properly our own affairs.

Now the things within our power are by nature free, unrestricted, unhindered; but those beyond our power are weak, dependent, restricted, alien. Remember, then, that if you attribute freedom to things by nature dependent and take what belongs to others for your own, you will be hindered, you will lament, you will be disturbed, you will find fault both with gods and men. But if you take for your own only that which is your own and view what belongs to others just as it really is, then no one will ever compel you, no one will restrict you; you will find fault with no one, you will accuse no one, you will do nothing against your will; no one will hurt you, you will not have an enemy, nor will you suffer any harm.

Aiming, therefore, at such great things, remember that you must not allow yourself any inclination, however slight, toward the attainment of the others; but that you must entirely quit some of them, and for the present postpone the rest. But if you would have these, and possess power and wealth likewise, you may miss the latter in seeking the former; and you will certainly fail of that by which alone happiness and freedom are procured.

Seek at once, therefore, to be able to say to every unpleasing semblance, “You are but a semblance and by no means the real thing.” And then examine it by those rules which you have; and first and chiefly by this: whether it concerns the things which are within our own power or those which are not; and if it concerns anything beyond our power, be prepared to say that it is nothing to you.”

Wisdom from 2000 years ago. I am very much looking forward to finishing this book.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Well, as a fan of history books, it's not uncommon to find very close parallels between events and situations in history and current events.

But yes, a lot of the classical thinkers' opinions on life are still highly relevant to life today. The surrounding details of the world may have changed, but the underlying human condition has not.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Yes. Several Tom Clancey books fit this precisely.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Matt Bracken's 'Enemies, Foreign & Domestic' series & Kurt Schlichter's Kelly Turnbull series. Fiction (for now) but prescient.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Well, as a fan of history books, it's not uncommon to find very close parallels between events and situations in history and current events.

But yes, a lot of the classical thinkers' opinions on life are still highly relevant to life today. The surrounding details of the world may have changed, but the underlying human condition has not.

Exactly. I recently read a history of the Peloponnesian War, and couldn’t help but note the similarities of the world politics to pre-Trump U.S. foreign policy. We look a lot like Athens in the early 5th century BC.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Exactly. I recently read a history of the Peloponnesian War, and couldn’t help but note the similarities of the world politics to pre-Trump U.S. foreign policy. We look a lot like Athens in the early 5th century BC.

China is the Spartans? Interesting parallels, the US democracy and naval based dominance...

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I used to do a lot of business travel for work, and routinely read two novels every business trip. I was sitting in my seat on the airplane and began reading the first novel in the Left Behind series. Not that the rapture has occurred, but it was pretty eery to be sitting on an airplane reading about pilots disappearing midflight.

Tom Clancy's 1994 novel Debt of Honor had a distinct similarity to the 9/11 terrorist attacks. In the novel, the Japanese terrorist flew the 747 into a joint session of Congress and Jack Ryan becomes President.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Matt Brackens books are very good.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Animal Farm. Brave New World. Lord of the Flies.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read Atlas Shrugged during the 2008 election.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Yours is a good example.

Also, I am currently reading "Blood Red Snow", a German soldier's personal account of his time fighting on the Eastern front in WWII. He arrived at the front in late October of 42 outside of Stalingrad, so yeah - pretty similar to the vibe going on in the US right now - impending doom.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Ecclesiastes.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
Fahrenheit 451 pretty much predicted social media

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
China is the Spartans? Interesting parallels, the US democracy and naval based dominance...

Pretty much. The alignment of the world into two camps, the weakness of alliances, the Athenians lack of desire to sustain the losses necessary for a win, the expense of maintaining a formidable Navy, the financial effects of a protracted fight, a plague in the middle of it, the expectation that the Athenian Navy would arbitrate every fight of the satellite states, etc.

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Animal Farm. Brave New World. Lord of the Flies.

Seems some of those authors were quite prophetic.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
Unintended Consequences

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Any super hero comic versus evil villains, and President Trump. Big Grin

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Herodotus, “The Histories”.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alas, Babylon.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post