SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US signs deal with Taliban
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US signs deal with Taliban Login/Join 
posted
This comes as just this past week I started seeing new recruits who were born after 9/11. The first one really took me aback.

------------------------

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/29...f-war-in-afghanistan

"The U.S. and the Taliban have struck a deal that paves the way for eventual peace in Afghanistan. U.S. Special Representative Zalmay Khalilzad and the head of the militant Islamist group, Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, signed the potentially historic agreement Saturday in Doha, Qatar, where the two sides spent months hashing out the agreement.

Under the terms of the deal, the U.S. commits to withdrawing all of its military forces and supporting civilian personnel, as well as those of its allies, within 14 months. The drawdown process will begin with the U.S. reducing its troop levels to 8,600 in the first 135 days and pulling its forces from five bases.

The rest of its forces, according to the agreement, will leave "within the remaining nine and a half months."

The Afghan government also will release up to 5,000 Taliban prisoners as a gesture of goodwill, in exchange for 1,000 Afghan security forces held by the Taliban.

"We owe a debt of gratitude to America's sons and daughters who paid the ultimate sacrifice in Afghanistan, and to the many thousands who served over the past nearly 19 years," Gen. Mark A. Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in a statement celebrating the deal, which comes on the heels of a seven-day "Reduction in Violence" agreement in Afghanistan."

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What a waste of 19 years.

What was the solution? I'll just say the Japanese haven't made any waves since Hiroshima and Nagasaki...

Posts: 13128 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I wasn't there for any of it, maybe it's the best deal they could make. I hope it comes with a "if you launch any more attacks from there we'll come back and hit you 100 times as hard" clause. Roll Eyes

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Graveyard of Empires. USA is in good company.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I think we should have left after Bin Laden was killed. Glad we are leaving the headaches to the people that live there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8361 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
The Graveyard of Empires. USA is in good company.
You keep that fucking crap off of my board. I'm not asking.

Posts: 107629 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'll be glad to have our troops out of there, but anybody who thinks the Taliban won't turn right around, take over, and resume turning Afghanistan into their view of an ideal Islamic state is delusional.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I'll be glad to have our troops out of there, but anybody who thinks the Taliban won't turn right around, take over, and resume turning Afghanistan into their view of an ideal Islamic state is delusional.

This unfortunately. Seems every few decades they need a good beatdown. Glad to get our troops out of there but at some point it will be back to a hotbed of terrorism and base for attacks. And then they will get another beat down from somebody. Waste of a lot of blood and money for what?

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Another win for Trump

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
At one time any of the "leading" groups there were just starting out to be recognized. This is just another. There will be another in the future.
I think we aught to get out and stay out unless WMD'S warrant.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
History repeats itself with a non-surprising culmination of Vietnam 2.0.

How many years until we're doing a mass evacuation from the roof of the Embassy in Kabul?

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
What a waste of 19 years.

What was the solution? I'll just say the Japanese haven't made any waves since Hiroshima and Nagasaki...

Yes, incredible waste but your solution is a false equivalence especially since Japan has been occupied since '45.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
About 15 years late.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Considering the time, cost, and lives spent in this effort I'm disappointed in this news, but not surprised.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The Taliban are likely to take revenge on anybody who even remotely helped us. I hope those people can GTFO.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
It's about time we stopped throwing away lived and money in Afghanistan. It's not possible to repair or modernize/westernize such a backwards and corrupt people and place.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Another win for Trump

+1 Doing what he said day in and day out.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13402 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
It's about time we stopped throwing away lived and money in Afghanistan. It's not possible to repair or modernize/westernize such a backwards and corrupt people and place.

agree

and that never should have been a goal in the first place

they'll still be herding goats and living in mud huts when we have people on Mars

----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
its about time!!!

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

This unfortunately. Seems every few decades they need a good beatdown. Glad to get our troops out of there but at some point it will be back to a hotbed of terrorism and base for attacks. And then they will get another beat down from somebody. Waste of a lot of blood and money for what?

THIS. That region doesn't know what living in Peace is, nor want it. I also feel you can't make a deal with the devil.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post