SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Southwest airlines 737 hits a man on the runway during landing
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Southwest airlines 737 hits a man on the runway during landing Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
(nowhere to throw the nickles)

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Then someone keyed and said; "Please maintain radio discipline."
Reminds me of the old story (might or might not be true) of a flight that was returning after a highly successful mission. Everybody was full of piss and vinegar, replied to the controller's instructions with "Rodger dodger!"

Officer who had been observing the recovery of aircraft in the flight, grabbed a mic, broke in, and said, "This is Commander so-and-so. Please maintain radio disciple."

Flight leader responded, "Rodger dodger, you old codger, I'm a commander, too!"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
A friend of mine, "Skip" Boles, was a test pilot in the US of Air Force at Eglin AFB.

He was flying an A-10 during a particular mission on a late afternoon go, and just finished the EOR (End of Runway) check, taxied to position for take-off when he came over the radio and mentioned he needed to "hold short for wildlife".

We thought it was deer on te runaway, as often were the case that a few deer would wander out on to the active and then off into the infield areas to graze, or continue into the woods. Typically this was normal during early dawn and dusk.

After several minutes, OPS contacted Skip and asked his status, and he stated he was still waiting.

After a few minutes, he was again asked and he stated that he was waiting for a Gopher Tortise to get off and into the grassy area off the runway.

And someone came on the radio and stated; "So another first. A 'hog (Warthog), outrun by a turtle!"

That's great!

I used to see all kind of wildlife at Eglin I wasn't used to since I'm a city slicker. But the only A-10 wildlife story I have is when one of our pilots was taxing at night and hit a coyote at DM.

And Eglin test was living the high life. I was very jealous of those guys.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when I was 12 y.o., ( 1969) my cousin and I walked all the way down to the bowling alley in Iowa City.

Two hours later, we headed home, well the tiny non manned airport was just next door,

We decided to walk through it, instead of all the way around it, ( seemed like a good idea at the time.)

We were careful to look both ways, all we saw was this tiny little speck about a mile out to the east.

We agreed that we could make it across the runway in plenty of time.

We got across easily,
And then twenty steps later, a twin engine plane flew by about 200 feet above the runway Eek

Then we heard car tires peeling out , up near the tower.

A Cadillac was flying twords us at top speed. The idea was not seeming very good at this point.

The back door flew open and the driver yelled at us to get in. And we were screeching tires back to the tower.

He didn't ball us out or anything.

Just told us to stay off the airfield.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post