SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Southwest airlines 737 hits a man on the runway during landing
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Southwest airlines 737 hits a man on the runway during landing Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Keeping Austin weird I guess!

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Not sure why you're using an "average American" at 180#. How much is an average Mexican?

Notice there was no mention of the assumed nationality of the "victim". Around here its assumed that when the media omits that tidbit, its a black person. Down there, I'd guess its Mexican or Central American. That is if the media there has its agenda of protecting the invaders.

When I was young, we were told to not play in traffic. I wonder if the same holds for the group the dead guy is associated with?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Well... he won't be doing that ever again! Depending on where the tower is located, it's hard to see a person on the runway, especially at night.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:

Depending on where the tower is located, it's hard to see a person on the runway, especially at night.
Here is the airport diagram, showing the tower location.

SWA flight # 1392 arrived on runway 17R.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30673 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder what Austin’s homeless population is like around the airport?

^^^^
Down one I would guess.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Will they list it as another rona death ?

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/jxsNCCZ958o

Gents on the Flight Deck probably got a glimpse of the idiot in the landing lights a split second before the thud......

This message has been edited. Last edited by: p220cop,

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 143 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
My grandfather hit a turkey at about 140 mph in a 1971 Plymouth GTX. It totaled the car.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
A friend was driving his SnapOn Tool truck home at about 40mph late one evening when a suicidal person dashed in front of him. He barely got a glimpse of the man but definitely heard what he describes as an OOMPH noise.

Witnesses state the man kept trying to dash into traffic from the sidewalk and that they kept pulling him back, but he finally broke free.

Paul was in the wrong place at the wrong instant in time. He had nightmares about this for many years and I think it still bothers him, although he did nothing wrong.

I'll bet this guy in Austin was suicidal or so doped up he had no idea what he was doing. I'll bet interview with family and friends over his last few days will tell.

Nevertheless, that's fucked up. If you're going to commit suicide, don't fuck up someone elses life by involving them.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Clickbait link.

Some BS about earlier crashes.

eta - so sad for man in engine.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
several decades back I was in early stages of starting pilot training for such as Cessna 150 class. The instructor had taken me out to show what the first few lessons would cover. It was almost fun, until we began landing approach at small rural facility.

We had flaps down & throttle back & within maybe 15-20' of touching down, when suddenly a 10-12 year old boy on a bicycle casually cuts across just about where 'touchdown' was pending.

Instructor responded instantly and effectively. I was impressed. After I got home a buddy flew in to another rural strip in his Aercoupe/Ercoup? whatever. V-tail with no vertical tail, had his own little unusual landing story to tell me about on his trip to the sea shore earlier in the day.

Got too busy to pursue the pilot training.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Several people have mentioned it being dark. Official sunset is 8:14 PM. Sunset is not dark, legal shooting hours during hunting season extend to 30 minutes after official sunset. Still plenty light outside to see a person 1 minute before official sunset.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Several people have mentioned it being dark. Official sunset is 8:14 PM. Sunset is not dark, legal shooting hours during hunting season extend to 30 minutes after official sunset. Still plenty light outside to see a person 1 minute before official sunset.

At 140 knots from a 737 cockpit while landing, not so much, but even if seen, it's not like the aircraft can swerve. Powering up takes up to six seconds for engine response, and once main gear and touched and ground spoilers are deployed, the airplane isn't going anywhere fast and depending on the runway, may not be able to go. Direction can only be changed by a few degrees. Perspective from the air is not the same as perspective from the ground.

There have been several people hit and killed at Phoenix Skyharbor, when running across the runway over the years. It happens.

A person hitting an airplane (or visa versa) will cause considerable damage. The damage in the picture is probably going to be well north of ten million.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^ Why even fix it? As many planes are being parked and may never be used again, why not just park it long term? Is it too damaged to fly to the boneyard?

I was wondering the same about the car rental firms. There’s apparently such a huge supply of cars available to rent and won’t be rented ever again, why fix anything?

I suppose it’s partly determined by insurance. Do the Airlines insure their planes through an insurance company or are they self insured?

posted Hide Post
It's definitely not flying anywhere.

That engine is six million dollars. It's not a throw-away item. Neither is the airframe.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
My grandfather hit a turkey at about 140 mph in a 1971 Plymouth GTX. It totaled the car.

That's going really all out for a turkey

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

At 140 knots from a 737 cockpit while landing, not so much, but even if seen, it's not like the aircraft can swerve. Powering up takes up to six seconds for engine response, and once main gear and touched and ground spoilers are deployed, the airplane isn't going anywhere fast and depending on the runway, may not be able to go. Direction can only be changed by a few degrees. Perspective from the air is not the same as perspective from the ground.

There have been several people hit and killed at Phoenix Skyharbor, when running across the runway over the years. It happens.

A person hitting an airplane (or visa versa) will cause considerable damage. The damage in the picture is probably going to be well north of ten million.

I was not really commenting on the plane ability to react, just letting people know that it's not dark at 8:12 PM this time of year in Austin. In fact, I am sitting on my porch and can see clearly with no need for artificial illumination right now. I would have no problem seeing a person clearly at 100 yards in this light.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/dkIwVkQMseg

posted Hide Post
You realize that runway you are talking about is 2 miles long. So congrats that sitting on your porch at zero airspeed and not trying to land a 75 ton jet you can see 100 yards. Whoop de fucking do. What’s your actual point? Because it sounds disturbingly close to you are implying that this was avoidable. Which it wasn’t. Not the aircrews fault, not the towers fault.

Posts: 7490 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
You realize that runway you are talking about is 2 miles long. So congrats that sitting on your porch at zero airspeed and not trying to land a 75 ton jet you can see 100 yards. Whoop de fucking do. What’s your actual point? Because it sounds disturbingly close to you are implying that this was avoidable. Which it wasn’t. Not the aircrews fault, not the towers fault.

Jesus fucking Christ dude. One previous poster said it was dark so the tower couldn't see him. Another poster said the aircrew may have seen him in the landing lights. All I said is, it's not fucking dark....period. Just clearing that up for those commenting about it being dark. I made no assertion as to any fault of pilots or controllers. I don't give a fuck if it's high noon on the summer equinox, if you are traipsing across an airport runway and get smoked by a 737 it's no ones fault but your own.

Clear enough for you sparky?