SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I just discovered Kimchi
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just discovered Kimchi Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
My wife has been reading about the importance of fermented foods for gut health. She’s decided to try it and got some kefir. Unfortunately, kefir smells like a dirty gym stock and tastes like it smells. Bleh!

I decided to try kimchi instead. It tastes absolutely amazing. It’s a prepared brand (Cleveland) but it’s all natural ingredients. It has a bit of sugar in it but i think that’s to keep the fermentation active.

It does have onions in it, which I normally cannot have as is a migraine trigger but so far it hasn’t affected me. Maybe being fermented it removes the migraine inducing stuff. Don’t know.

I’ve been putting it over rice for lunch and it’s quite enjoyable.

I make about half cup of minute rice with butter, cayenne powder, ginger and black pepper. Then I scoop a couple servings of the kimchi over it. Good stuff. I can recommend it.

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Mark, if you have any interest in making kimchee, I can email you a recipe and instructions. My (Korean) wife is actually making some as I type this. It requires nothing special, aside of two or three ingredients you can get at an Asian market, or Amazon.
And you’ll need a very good storage container. Something like a lock lock or a snapware container that is a gallon or two.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
You can also fry the kimchee in a pan first and then use it w/ rice (you can add rice to the pan and fry together or just add it to fresh rice).

With kimchee, you can make kimchee jige which is triple the fermented foods. Smile

Cabbage kimchee is the staple (you can get uncut or pre-cut versions) but also popular are daikon (radish) or cucumber kimchee. My fav is the daikon.

If you have access to an asian market, there may be several korean brands available. I've been partial to the CJ and Jongja brands if you see them.

Beancooker - I have a couple recipes for kimchee but also open to other recipes. I'd be interested in your wife's recipe if it's convenient for you.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Now grill a large piece and try it Smile

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6624 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, good stuff.

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47717 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Yup good stuff and Cleveland brand is the good one in the refrigerated case. A lot of krauts and kimchis are pasteurized, ruining any benefit to gut biome. Cleveland has the active bacteria.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I just recently started fermenting my own sauerkraut and hot sauces. I got my mango habenero hot sauce perfected. Also fermented some tomatoes and made a tomato sauce. I believe as soon as you heat these things up you lose a lot of the beneficial probiotics. Fermenting is so easy. As few or as many ingredients you want to use and time. You can buy fermenting jars with air locks rather cheaply. I got an old fermenting crock that was made in Germany for kraut. Bought it from an old gal in a small town. Her husband died and she couldn't use it anymore. She literally cried when I left with it.

When I make a fresh batch of kraut I plan on dropping off a few jars for her.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I haven't made a batch in a few years. Nobody in the house will stand for it. It's hard enough even to eat it indoors.

I think the rest of the family should buck up. Smile

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17620 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I love kimchi.

Freshly made, spicy or not, different authentic varieties. It's all good.

Kimchi is to Koreans what salsa is to Mexicans.

Posts: 4254 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The kimchi from Trader Joe's is excellent, the spicy variety. I like their kefir too, sorry Mark.

Posts: 996 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
While serving ( U S Army 1969-70) in South Korea the locals would bury the containers in the ground for the time of the fermintation process as well as long term storage... Liked it... It was different... very tasty and would get your attention.......... drill sgt.

Posts: 2089 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I can eat a pint of it straight for a snack.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39874 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I especially like it in soup form

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchi-guk

Plus I can vary that to whatever’s in the fridge.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2395 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kimchi is good stuff, you're supposed to eat it WITH other items, it's not a side-dish like a salad, but an additive.

As for kifir....I've never come across an awful smell, all the stuff I have had, I found to be like a yogurt smoothie. Smell wasn't an issue, as the majority of them are fruit flavored, like yogurt.

Posts: 15083 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It's been a few years since I have been to a gun show. ArtieS and I went to the one in Orlando today (there aren't enough people in the world to buy all the AR-15s that I saw).

After we left the show, we stopped at a Korean restaurant and had a really outstanding meal. With Kimchi, of course. The place was doing a brisk business, and I believe that we two were the only non-Asian people there. Great food, we decided that it's definitly worth going back again.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31444 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Better late than never! It goes really well with stir fry's, soups, sandwiches, plain rice, etc.
We just did an awesome hotpot with it.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
It’s something I’ve not had but have been wanting to. I get nervous about picking a brand or how to eat it. Hopefully we have the Cleveland brand around here. I’d give it a whirl over rice like Mark says.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12965 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Nice pic! Is that chinese style? One of my favorite condiments i only use with Chinese style hot pot (hoar gwo). I love satay jang.

We go a few times a year to a local Korean restaurant. They serve about 15-20 banchan. We're always taking home leftovers. I'm itching to go now.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
There is a Korean restaurant here that serves radish kimchi as a side. It's like crack to me....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38243 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Also makes a good hot dog topping.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16230 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post