SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I just discovered Kimchi
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just discovered Kimchi Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Nice pic! Is that chinese style? One of my favorite condiments i only use with Chinese style hot pot (hoar gwo). I love satay jang.

Thanks its Taiwanese style. All the hotpot ingredients are only a vehicle for the sauce we make. Shacha as a base, fresh kinced garlic, green onion, soy sauce and LaoGaMa chili oil.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Cool. It looked vaguely familiar. We used to mix a raw egg with satay jang.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I discovered Kimchi in 1969, in a land far away. We and the ROKs were on a mission together in the Central Highlands. Along the way we traded Cs for Kimchi, so they and us could have a little variety in our diets.

I've only had it a couple times since. It's an acquired taste IMHOWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1580 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I had a college roommate who introduced me to Kimchi.

He was into one of the martial arts and the master’s wife would give him a gallon of homemade Kimchi at a time.

Well, one drunken night with no food in the house because we were poor college kids, we went at the Kimchi big time.

Let’s just say that I paid for it the next morning…that shit burns!

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3648 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on discovering kimchi. I eat kimchi with meat.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20075 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're anywhere near an H-Mart, there's whole aisles of kimchi with all manor of spice levels, ingredients and either refrigerated or, non-friedgerated varieties. They also carry a MASSIVE assortment of beef in various cuts, Koreans really like their beef.

If you're nowhere close to an H-Mart or, even a 99-Ranch, you can order online via Weee. This online Asian grocery site has fast become the savior for those who live nowhere close to an Asian market or, looking for hard-to-find ingredients.

Posts: 15083 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I love kimchi

Thankfully we are close to several Asian Markets and Korean BBQ joints where you can get all the kimchi and other pickled veggies you want

Posts: 5560 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Mark, if you have any interest in making kimchee, I can email you a recipe and instructions. My (Korean) wife is actually making some as I type this. It requires nothing special, aside of two or three ingredients you can get at an Asian market, or Amazon.
And you’ll need a very good storage container. Something like a lock lock or a snapware container that is a gallon or two.

Can you post this if it's not a guarded family secret?

I had a bulgogi steak sandwich with kimchi in it at a gastro-pub recently, wife didn't like it so I ate hers too.

I love pickled stuff.

Posts: 5228 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a bulgogi steak sandwich with kimchi in it at a gastro-pub recently, wife didn't like it so I ate hers too.

I love those too. Kalbi is similar to bulgogi. And I love both. But a must try is kalbi-gim. There are two types of kalbi - LA (cross cut short ribs usually with 3 or 4 bones) and traditional (single bone usually about 2-3 inches wide).

Kalbi-gim using the traditional cut made in a pressure cooker (I do 45 minutes) is a huge favorite of mine.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Homemade kimchi jjiggae. Just had a bowl with rice. Damn good, spice was just right. Lemme know if you want the recipe.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6624 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:

I love pickled stuff.

I don’t mind sharing between a few forum members who will enjoy it. If I posted it online, my wife would be very disappointed in me. I am happy to email you, but I also ask that it is not made public. I trust my fellow forum members to be honest.

Give me a day or so to write out the instructions. That is more important than the actual recipe and ingredients.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
I spent a lot of time traveling to South Korea in 2012-2016 for a big project.

Just can't get close to the smell of rotten cabbage. I'm not a sauerkraut fan either. Can't go near rotten milk (yogurt) either.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I work in Chamblee, GA. My God at the number of wonderful restaurants to choose from.

There is one called Kang Nam that serves Kimchi as an appetizer and will just keep bringing it out.

I can eat it by the gallon.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34419 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Damn. All this talk about kimchi. Hadn't had any in a while. Of course I had to get some today. Smile

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16951 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I love pickled stuff.

I don’t mind sharing between a few forum members who will enjoy it. If I posted it online, my wife would be very disappointed in me. I am happy to email you, but I also ask that it is not made public. I trust my fellow forum members to be honest.

Give me a day or so to write out the instructions. That is more important than the actual recipe and ingredients.

Please add me to distro. I'd love to try making my own.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Damn. All this talk about kimchi. Hadn't had any in a while. Of course I had to get some today. Smile

Can I say that one of my favorites in this category is takana? Smile Followed by organic, uncolored takuan (indifferent to mame or kome koji). Both are hard to come by for me - only redeeming aspect of going to the bay area.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Love takuan also.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16951 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
quote:
quote:

I love pickled stuff.

Please add me to distro. I'd love to try making my own.

Me three.

Just ordered up a new kimchi/kraut bucket off Amazon and am excited to try it out.

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mark, if you have any interest in making kimchee, I can email you a recipe and instructions. My (Korean) wife is actually making some as I type this. It requires nothing special, aside of two or three ingredients you can get at an Asian market, or Amazon.
And you’ll need a very good storage container. Something like a lock lock or a snapware container that is a gallon or two.
Yeah, man. I’d like to have a recipe. I’d like to try it without onions. Thanks. Smile

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I apologize for the half a year late reply.

If anyone else wants the recipe, email me or request here and I’ll email you if your email is listed.

Recipe emailed to:

Deepocean (he emailed me)
Mark
Gustofer
RobLew

I couldnt email to DoctorSolo as you don’t have an email address listed. Email me and I’ll send it to you. Include your screen name so I know who you are.

quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Yeah, man. I’d like to have a recipe. I’d like to try it without onions. Thanks. Smile

Mark, I can’t stand eating the onions in kimchee. You might want to include them, or at least try a small batch with the onions. Leave the pieces larger and pick them out. It will taste a little bland without them. I asked my wife to make some without onions, once without fish sauce, and once without onions or fish sauce. They all were lacking in flavor.

I simply pick out the onions when I eat it, which is rare as cabbage messes with my stomach badly, be it kimchee, Cole slaw, sourkraut… makes no difference, it’s the cabbage cleanse for me.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post