SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I just discovered Kimchi
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just discovered Kimchi Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I’d like the recipe, too, please! I made a batch a long time ago that was pretty good, but was interested in trying again.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17624 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I’d like the recipe, too, please! I made a batch a long time ago that was pretty good, but was interested in trying again.

Sent. If I remember correctly, didn’t I send you some of my wife’s kimchee a few years ago? If so, it’s the same recipe as what I sent you.

One thing for all to note, you can cut Dikon radish into approx 1” cubes and follow the same recipe. Instead of “painting the leaves” just pour and mix.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
My wife just read the recipe

OMIT THE SOY SAUCE. DO NOT ADD SOY SAUCE AS IT WILL RUIN THE KIMCHEE.

quote:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:

Can you post this if it's not a guarded family secret?

I had a bulgogi steak sandwich with kimchi in it at a gastro-pub recently, wife didn't like it so I ate hers too.

I love pickled stuff.

I don’t mind sharing between a few forum members who will enjoy it. If I posted it online, my wife would be very disappointed in me. I am happy to email you, but I also ask that it is not made public. I trust my fellow forum members to be honest.

Give me a day or so to write out the instructions. That is more important than the actual recipe and ingredients.

Please add me to distro. I'd love to try making my own.

Me, too, please.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5506 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please send to me as well.

Posts: 1139 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
There is an Asian restaurant in town where I live that makes a Kimchi lo-mein-like noodle dish, it's awesome.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this like ti kwan doh!

Where they give you different colored belts ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55210 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Sent. If I remember correctly, didn’t I send you some of my wife’s kimchee a few years ago? If so, it’s the same recipe as what I sent you.

You did indeed! It was very good, so I’m happy to be able to recreate it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17624 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
I'd would like the recipe too. Haven't had kimchi in a while, thanks

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4384 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frog in boiling water
posted Hide Post
Love it
Eat it with sardines.
Not the most popular person in the house when I do.
Costco carries the Jongga brand.

Posts: 435 | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pd15:

Product Details
Kimchi
Sliced Napa cabbage
88.1 oz

!! How long does it take to go through that much?

Posts: 3076 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frog in boiling water
posted Hide Post
The one I get is 52.9 ounces.
Lasts about a month to 6 weeks.
The one I just picked up has a use by date of 09-27-24

Posts: 435 | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
There is a Korean restaurant in town that has radish kimchi as a side dish, I swear that stuff is like crack in a bowl.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38249 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
We buy it by the tub at Costco in the refrigerated section. Good stuff!

JP

Posts: 2075 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
There are enough requests that my wife said “just give it to everyone”. So here you are.

Mind you all the measurements are approximate. She measures nothing and tastes it as she makes it. I watched and guesstimated the quantities.

Get some Napa cabbage. Cut into quarters, lengthways. Mix up a salt water solution, about as salty as ocean water. Soak cabbage for about 6-8 hours. Rinse well after soaking.

While the cabbage is soaking take a cup or so of white rice flour. Add that to a few cups of water. The ratio doesn’t really matter. Heat it on the stove until boiling. You aren’t making a paste, but more of a liquid that’s about as thick as motor oil. Let this cool to room temp.

When the cabbage is rinsed, set aside and let it drip dry for half an hour or so.

Take the rice flour mixture and put in a huge bowl. Add some gochugaru chili flakes. (Buy these from a Korean market or on Amazon. Wang or Sempio brand are both really good. Do not buy the gochugaru from Mount Hope as it will ruin your kimchee.) add some fish sauce add a lot of minced fresh garlic, lots of chopped green onions. This mixture should have the consistency of pancake batter, or wood glue. (Best things I can think to describe the thickness, but it can be thinner or a little thicker.)

Take your cabbage quarters and peel back a leaf at a time and “paint” the leaves with the sauce mix. Don’t tear the leaves from the core as you want them to stay quartered. After you paint each leaf, gently squeeze the quarter so the air is pressed out but all the sauce stays inside. Put that quarter in a container and continue the process.

Pack the container with cabbage and you want most all of the air out. Don’t stress over this, and don’t squish the cabbage, just gently pack into a container. Leave a couple inches of air space at the top. DO NOT FILL TO THE TOP, IT NEEDS ROOM. If you fill to the top, it’ll make an atrocious mess.

Any leftover sauce, pour on top. Close container with a lid. Place in the pantry on the floor at room temp. 75° or so. Let it sit for a day or two. You’ll see it starting to bubble and “percolate”. When it’s starting to bubble, transfer to the fridge and let it sit for a week to two weeks. You’ll have to pop the lid off once in a while so it can release the gases.

At this point you can choose when to eat. Depending how long it was in the pantry will depend on how quickly or slowly it finishes in the fridge.

Approx
1 cup rice flour and three cups of water
1-1.5 cups gochugaru
1 cup minced fresh garlic
2 cups green onion
1/2 cup fish sauce (three crabs brand is preferred)
Add some water to thin it out if necessary.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sse:
quote:
Originally posted by pd15:

Product Details
Kimchi
Sliced Napa cabbage
88.1 oz

!! How long does it take to go through that much?

The recipe posted is for far less than she normally makes. She usually makes about 30 pounds at a time. It lasts about a month. Mind you, she doesn’t only use it as a side dish, but she makes “kimchee jee gay” (best way to spell it in English). It’s baby back ribs cooked in basically kimchee soup. That’s just one example of how it’s used. That said, in Korean culture, kimchee is used in damn near everything.

quote:
The “lol” thread

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Just from the title, I thought you just like it and I was going to chime in about the health benefits. I use it as a condiment for various things.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20079 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Does it matter if the cabbage is soaking at room temp or in frig?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5506 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Does it matter if the cabbage is soaking at room temp or in frig?

Room temp.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Are those proportions for one average-sized head of cabbage or a couple?

I'm sure the environmental yeast has a part in the equation, like it does with sourdough? Not that you can control that.

I'm not gonna lie, I am going to try this, and I am going to be a little nervous when I eat the first bite, haha.

Silly white man with very (south)western food preparation habits here, BUT THANK YOU FOR SHARING!

Posts: 5228 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post