SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    18-year-old friend of my 18 y.o. daughter going on European hostel trip alone...bad idea?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

18-year-old friend of my 18 y.o. daughter going on European hostel trip alone...bad idea? Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
And to think I used to be puzzled about where snowflakes came from.

Sigforum, where some hate the "snowflakes" on the Left yet attempt to breed their own.

Poor kids. It must be so confusing.

Big Grin

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Natalee Holloway was with a group, on a trip to a safe area.

I damn sure wouldn't finance the trip. Show me you're mature enough to go, by earning the money to take the trip.

We had a kid here a few years ago that was struck by lightning. The storm was 12 miles away. There were no signs that the soccer field he was on was in any danger, clear blue skies above. Where he was appeared to be safe. Sometimes bad things happen. I don't use this example as a reason to never let my boys go outside. What happened to Holloway was horrible but thousands have gone to Aruba before and since with no issue. She ran into a psycho, that could have happened in her home town.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Excellent! I just caught this Sir. Living in Mom and Dad's basement versus doing something.

Let these kids go, they are straining at the leashes, let these fucking young adults go, they need to fly.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
If she had a black belt in judo,fired expert on rifle and hand guns I would consider
otherwise HELL no

Not even if her father has a special set of skills.......

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4653 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I wish the OP had made this a poll, it would be interesting to see the results. Of course there is some gray areas here.

Posts: 3865 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adult?
Not Adult?

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine79830:
Adult?
Not Adult?

You raise an interesting point. If she's asking for permission to go, she's not really ready for it.

I stopped asking for permission to do things and to travel places well before I graduated from high school. I simply let my parents know where I was headed, but so long as I had money in my wallet, I didn't ask or expect permission from them.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Adult?
Not Adult?

You raise an interesting point. If she's asking for permission to go, she's not really ready for it.

I stopped asking for permission to do things and to travel places well before I graduated from high school. I simply let my parents know where I was headed, but so long as I had money in my wallet, I didn't ask or expect permission from them.

I

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I don't think that would be a good idea for me, so for my barely not minor daughter - not recommended.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Adult?
Not Adult?

Counselor, read the original post. 18 years old, high school graduate, asking for funding... the discussion has moved beyond what you accomplished as a child to what the moral, legal implications are, not to be rude but got it?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

Sigforum, where some hate the "snowflakes" on the Left yet attempt to breed their own.

Poor kids. It must be so confusing.

Big Grin

You dumb fucks should come down some time and discuss common sense over coffee. Smile

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
At 18, she's an adult.

This. There is no "allow" her to do anything. She's a legal adult and is now responsible for her own decisions, like it or not. I'd be against it, but that's as far as I could go. No way in hell would I finance such an outing.

Best case, they have a great time and nothing bad happens. Middle case, some shit happens or is seen, and these girls wake up and get a better informed view on the real world. Worst case? Well....

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last time and I'm out, is this gender related?

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Again, just because they are your child, now an adult, doesn't mean you fund their activities.

Risk vs reward. Freedom vs responsibility.

My son is nearly 18, but as long as he chooses to ask to live under this roof and drive a vehicle that is not his, he needs to comply with our rules for living here.

If he wanted to go backpacking through Europe the day he turns 18, I'd tell him I have some concerns but it's his choice to go.... along with his choice on how to fund it, get a passport, visas, arrange places to stay, etc, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I'd let her go. I went at 19, called home once a week, traveled all over Europe, had a great time, saw a ton, slept in a few alleys, avoided hostels, rented rooms (at most metros some couple shows up offering rooms)....saw the occasional uprising with fire and armed military responding, etc..
Up to her and her folks. I think it's a wonderful experience, and she won't regret it. If she has a speck of common sense, she'll be fine.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5499 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
The controversy threads always go 5 pages.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
After being paid to visit more 30 countries (thank you US Navy!!), I'd be inclined to say "no" unless I was there.

Way too much trouble to get into unintentionally much less intentionally or the trouble which comes looking for you.

This. I wouldn't fund it unless I was "supervising"--not be in their business, but at minimum, pay for a guided/programmed tour.

The sex slave trade is still profitable in Europe.

Posts: 1726 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
The controversy threads always go 5 pages.

And your take as a dad... proceed

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Adult?
Not Adult?

Counselor, read the original post. 18 years old, high school graduate, asking for funding... the discussion has moved beyond what you accomplished as a child to what the moral, legal implications are, not to be rude but got it?

Got it. My comment was a round about way of saying, "It may depend on how mature she is."

18 is the age of majority, but it doesn't make someone mature. If she's asking for permission, it's okay to say no: she's the one not mature enough to rely on her own decision making. If she's asking for money, then yeah, the OP absolutely gets to decide if he wants to gift this to her now, never gift it to her at all, or to give her money for this or anything else down the road.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Again, just because they are your child, now an adult, doesn't mean you fund their activities.

Risk vs reward. Freedom vs responsibility.

My son is nearly 18, but as long as he chooses to ask to live under this roof and drive a vehicle that is not his, he needs to comply with our rules for living here.

If he wanted to go backpacking through Europe the day he turns 18, I'd tell him I have some concerns but it's his choice to go.... along with his choice on how to fund it, get a passport, visas, arrange places to stay, etc, etc.

Sir, this is a leading question but if you gave the same amount of knowledge to a female of the same age would you expect the same results?