SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm auditioning for a band in a couple weeks.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm auditioning for a band in a couple weeks. Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I think I'm going to use a Strat with Lollar Blackface pickups into an AC30 as the other guy is a Les Paul into a Marshall guy. I just don't really like any pedals with the Vox, especially up front. Maybe just a compressor. I may bring an extra cabinet if I can't hear myself though.

That sounds like a great combination right there. I've never played anything with Lollar's but I know they have a great reputation. The Strat and AC30 speak for themselves, legendary histories for them.

I just got a cheap Tele a few months ago, still searching for a proper amp and the neck pickup is weak. Was looking at Fralins as a replacement.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Have fun and good luck.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Best of luck, and please keep us updated. You're doing this for the groupies, right?

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
You're gonna get all the chicks

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Hope you crush it!

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
That's awesome. I wish I could play casual gigs when I retire but alas my only skill is to be in the audience.

Looking forward to youtube videos of you on stage. Smile My kind of music too.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Right on!
I'm 44 and am getting the itch to jam with buddies again too.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Show cleavage. It will distract them.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I’m 71 and played out twice last month. It’s still as fun as ever. Put lots of time into the finger work and scales on the neck. Don’t worry. Just enjoy.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Have fun, Mark

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Well, the other guitar player has the Rona so everything got delayed. Maybe soon.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Hell, I am 65 and am trying to convince the Wife I need a new Amp!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Another guy pinched a nerve and another guy went out of town for work. Maybe in a a couple more weeks. I'm kinda getting sick of these 4 songs. Haha

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I met with the other guitar player yesterday. It went well. I planned on using my Vox AC30C2X but it's so heavy that I just threw my Marshall DSL40C in the car. It's lighter and I now realize that it's the better amp. The Vox does not like drive pedals in front and its effects loop overloads a lot of my modulation pedals. I suppose I'm just a Marshall guy because the Classic Crunch channel just felt like home. The Vox tone is great but it's not me and I'm a pedal geek so it's kind of a dealbreaker that it doesn't work well with pedals.

I've been using the Vox exclusively since I got it but I'm thinking that was New Gear Syndrome. Something different felt good for a while. Back to the more versatile and, in my opinion, superior amplifier.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I met with the other guitar player yesterday. It went well.

That's great!

Sucks about the AC30, but at least you gave one an honest shot. I dunno that I've ever heard before that they don't take pedals well, but I'll take your word for it. Some amps are great about it and some just are what they are, and if that's not your flavor, at least you already know what is. I know it would be the kind of amp I'd love to own... if I had another dozen or so already and an unlimited budget. It's great amp that what it does well, which is sound like an AC30.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
... I dunno that I've ever heard before that they don't take pedals well, but I'll take your word for it. ...
Some people say it works with pedals but many say it doesn't. For me it doesn't. I have to dial in a tone that I don't like and then it's a really mediocre tone with the pedals. It seems that any amount of boost really crushes the input tube and not in a good way. The effects loop also doesn't seem to be at unity gain and it really overloads my older pedals that work fine in the loop of my Marshall amps. I also had the same effects loop issue with my ex-Mesa Dual Rectifier. I never did get on with that amp.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Holy crap, I saw the AC 30 weighs 74 pounds. I wouldn't want to be lugging that thing around either.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Holy crap, I saw the AC 30 weighs 74 pounds. I wouldn't want to be lugging that thing around either.
The Marshall combo is 52 lbs. 22 lbs makes a difference to the older spine. Big Grin

Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
If you want to upgrade that Marshall, add a choke and swap out the output transformer for a better one. That will add some weight to it, but vastly improve the tone. When I've upgraded the OTs on the newer Marshalls, the stock OT felt like it was made of styrofoam once I had it off the chassis. That's where the tone comes from.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Some combos are inordinately heavy. Can't tell you how many times I've gone to heft one and been shocked at the weight. My 6505+ combo is only ten pounds lighter and it's a handful. Now, it's a 1x12 and a Vintage 30 weighs ten pounds. Then again, it's a closed back combo with transformers for 60 watts, a spring reverb tank, and I believe packed with foam, so I'm not sure why the Vox is so heavy.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post