SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm auditioning for a band in a couple weeks.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm auditioning for a band in a couple weeks. Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I must be nuts. I'm 54, in bed by 10 every night, haven't had a spare hour in I don't know how long, and haven't played out in front of people since about 1992. Add to that, the band is southern and classic rock, which aren't some of my familiar genres.

We picked 4 songs over email and I'm practicing again. It seems a lot harder to figure out songs than it used to be. I'm very rusty. Getting together with the other guitar player next weekend to figure who's playing which part and what my role is. Then a couple weeks later were getting the band together for a first try and my audition.

Wish me luck, I seriously must be completely nuts.

Posts: 45327 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shake the rust off and play well…most of al, enjoy yourself!

Break a leg!!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2081 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Pretty awesome! What 4 songs?

Posts: 11350 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Like riding a bike, right? I just restarted in a jam group after a long, long layoff. “The Thrill is Gone” was wrong - It never leaves.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4212 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We’re putting the band back together!

Have fun man

Posts: 891 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’m stoked for you, man! Keep me in the loop!

Posts: 17047 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Good luck man!

I’ve never been a musician myself despite loving music, but the musicians I know in small local bands absolutely love what they do and the sacrifices they make, even the ones that require staying up past 10 Razz

Let us know how it goes, and remember us when you get famous!!

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck. I am not sure I will ever play with anyone, let alone in a band. Have a great time no matter what.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
That's great, Mark! Wish I were in your shoes...if I could play that well.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38587 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Mark.

What rig are you using?

Posts: 13041 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I have just been through the audition process. I was gladly accepted, but decided not to join. I think I am a session player instead of a performer. Sure, I can play in the living room, but thinking about being on stage makes my heart race and my head hurt.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I hear ya on the genre, but be glad it's not modern country, given the PennsyltuCky address. Whatever you play has to sell at the bar, so you know you're not playing Jazz Fusion! haha!!!

I'll second the call for the four song details!

Posts: 11343 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
Pretty awesome! What 4 songs?

Gimme Three Steps - Lynyrd Skynyrd
China Grove - Doobie Brothers
All Right Now - Free
Fool for the City - Foghat

These are just trial songs. I can only see the first two getting into a set list.

quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
What rig are you using?

I think I'm going to use a Strat with Lollar Blackface pickups into an AC30 as the other guy is a Les Paul into a Marshall guy. I just don't really like any pedals with the Vox, especially up front. Maybe just a compressor. I may bring an extra cabinet if I can't hear myself though.

Posts: 45327 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I hear ya on the genre, but be glad it's not modern country ...
I like sleep better than country music. Big Grin

Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Rooting for you,Mark. The Foghat song is one of my favorites.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5291 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Good selection! You got this!

Posts: 11350 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
It seems a lot harder to figure out songs than it used to be.

It's never been easier. Between songsterr.com and Youtube, you really can't lose. All the work has already been done. You just have to go to these websites to see how they're played. Before the Internet, it was play, pause, rewind, play, pause, rewind and waiting for the latest guitar mag to arrive at the drug store to see which songs they had TAB'ed out. It really can't be any easier than it is nowadays.

Posts: 3491 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
It's never been easier. Between songsterr.com and Youtube, you really can't lose. All the work has already been done. You just have to go to these websites to see how they're played. Before the Internet, it was play, pause, rewind, play, pause, rewind and waiting for the latest guitar mag to arrive at the drug store to see which songs they had TAB'ed out. It really can't be any easier than it is nowadays.

I mean my ear isn't as tuned as it used to be and my patience is getting to the "that's good enough" stage. Big Grin

I give youtube the skeptical squint when watching a lesson video. So far only one guy has ever taught Le Freak correctly, everyone else tries to add the bass line into the guitar part. The isolated tracks show the truth.

Isolated tracks are another really nice tool to nail the parts.

Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Have fun and good luck!

Posts: 2581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
It seems a lot harder to figure out songs than it used to be.

ultimate-guitar.com is another option.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38587 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post