SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The Daily Nag.

It is not Trump that is hated.

It is Freedom, Liberty, Resposibiliy, Consequenses of Actions, and Results of Behaviors.

Oh, and they hate those who love and cherish those things.

They hate you.
They hate me.

Trump is our "Avatar", our "Effegy".

They see him, but they are out to destroy us.

-nagmonkey

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43889 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
In Saudi Arabia and Israel they know the difference between a bonafied leader and a feckless poser empty suit.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
The Daily Nag.

It is not Trump that is hated.

It is Freedom, Liberty, Resposibiliy, Consequenses of Actions, and Results of Behaviors.

Oh, and they hate those who love and cherish those things.

They hate you.
They hate me.

Trump is our "Avatar", our "Effegy".

They see him, but they are out to destroy us.

-nagmonkey
Very, very, well put Monkey.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Trump’s Budget Is Exploding Liberal Heads, So There’s a Lot to Love
May 23, 2017

There’s not a small dose of Stephen Bannon’s “dismantle the administrative state” serum in President Donald Trump’s 2018 budget proposal, which hit lawmakers’ desks today.

Over the next 10 years, Trump’s proposal would trim $4.3 trillion (with a “T”) of federal spending, while adding a modest $469 billion in discretionary defense spending, and $200 billion in “infrastructure” spending.

What has liberal heads exploding is the entirely necessary cuts to Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). These expenses would be shifted to individual states, who honestly do a better job managing safety-net programs designed to be temporary. When run by the one-size-fits-all boot of the federal government, these programs turn into generational poverty for millions of Americans.

Between Medicaid, CHIP, and food stamps (SNAP) cuts, government spending would shrink by $888 billion. Add to that another $311 billion in interest payments on the debt as the budget contracts, for a total of $1.199 trillion.

It really doesn’t matter if the cuts last 10 years (they almost surely won’t). Any cuts to these leviathan transfer payments is the first step in actual budget discipline.
Share this

I haven’t included the White House’s claim of $2 trillion in economic growth or $593 billion in savings from reductions in war funding. These are forward-looking, even spurious claims. But any cuts at all to liberal favorites which give Washington more power and states less power are triggers that automatically dump dead children, diseases, and starving single moms on Republican laps.

Cue the violins from the Washington Post (and Vanity Fair et al, I didn’t even bother to read HuffPo or Mother Jones):

The National Cancer Institute would be hit with a $1 billion cut compared to its 2017 budget. The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute would see a $575 million cut, and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases would see a reduction of $838 million. The administration would cut the overall National Institutes of Health budget from $31.8 billion to $26 billion.

Because liberals know best that only government spending prevents cancer, HIV, and seniors falling. Only federal tax money can produce “Science.” Only Medicaid, CHIP, and SNAP save children from hunger. Right.

And the critics complain about transferring $500 million back into block grants to states, because “block grants allow states to plug holes in their budgets, without accountability that federal programs require.” That’s the real reason they don’t like it: It takes power from the feds to bully states and lets state legislators and governors determine what’s best.

Funny how when California legislators move to protect sanctuary cities, they are rock-ribbed guardians of the public good, but when state legislators have to manage programs the feds used to control, they’re untrustworthy thieves and criminals.

More to love:

The administrative rollback in funding is almost breathtaking.

EPA cut by 31 percent, to $5.65 billion (not enough in my book but a good start)
Converts many foreign military sales (FMS) assistance and financing to loans
Department of Education programs cut by 13.5 percent ($9.2 billion)
Merges the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) into the State Department
Guts the State Department’s Office of Global Women’s Issues among other sinecures with no discernible purpose

What the liberals tend to gloss over is that Trump wants to add paid family leave–something that will have a real impact on families–to his budget. When they do mention the program, they simply criticize it as not enough.

Congress will have a good time with this budget, and hopefully most if it can survive intact, to be force-fed down Democrats’ throats. This budget exceeded my expectations, because I didn’t think Trump would cut the most contentious programs, although he left Medicare and Social Security alone.

Overall, it’s a good start to some fiscal sanity in a government that really believed it could grow forever and spend unlimited amounts of money without eventually irreparably harming our economy. Kudos to Trump’s budget director Mike Mulvaney for his efforts.

http://theresurgent.com/trumps...heres-a-lot-to-love/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24124 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Several outlets running with a story that 3 Whitehouse staff members have been identified as sources of leaks.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

< snip >

Over the next 10 years, Trump’s proposal would trim $4.3 trillion (with a “T”) of federal spending...

< snip >

That is a paltry (yes, PALTRY) $430B in reductions per year.

In FY 2016 the federal deficit was $587B.

That means under President Trump's budget plan, the federal government will continue to outspend revenue to the tune of $157B per year, or $1.57T over that same 10 year window.

Mind you, that is a VAST improvement over Obozo's deficit spending, which added around $1.1T per year (not accounting for the smoke and mirrors of the Federal Reserve's binge of "quantitative easing").

Its not a solution that gets us to a path of fiscal health; all it does is kick the can down the road.

If President Trump is serious about fixing our broken fiscal policy, we need to see a budget that lops a full $1T per year of federal spending, while keeping revenues the same. That would give us a $500Bish surplus we could use to reduce the debt.

Alternatively, we could simply admit defeat and default on all $19T in debt obligations, and start over, but no one knows what lies in that Pandora's box, so no one is willing to try it.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
What . . . no growth? I was hoping for some growth.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:
What . . . no growth? I was hoping for some growth.

Well... since you bring it up... the projections for growth are quite rosy....

So what emerges when looking at the underlying assumptions of Trump's budget? Nothing short of assumed economic nirvana.

As the following table taken from page 45 of the budget (titled "A New Foundation For American Greatness") shows, the US is expected to grow at 2.3% in 2017, 2.3% in 2018 and so on, until GDP plateaus at 3.0% in 2020 and remains there until the end of calendar 2027.

What this means is that the White House is assuming there will be no deficit for the entire duration of the projected 10 year period!

But that's not all, because it also means that the White House budget is based on the assumption that the expansion that started in June 2009 will last at least until December 2027, or an absolutely unprecedented 222 consecutive months of expansion.

There is a problem with that: as the chart below shows, an expansion of that duration - nearly 19 years in a row - would not only be the single longest expansion in American histoy, but it would also last double the next longest duration ever recorded in the US, the expansion which began in March 1991 and ended with the dot com crash, in March 2001.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/...umps-proposed-budget

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24124 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
All the press negativity all these months, all the lies and hand wringing from the press trying to tank Trump...

Well, Trump approval among likely voters sits at 46%.
The press will be unhappy Trump isn't in the 30s.

http://www.rasmussenreports.co...ion/prez_track_may23

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
All the press negativity all these months, all the lies and hand wringing from the press trying to tank Trump...

Well, Trump approval among likely voters sits at 46%.
The press will be unhappy Trump isn't in the 30s.

http://www.rasmussenreports.co...ion/prez_track_may23

I don't even believe those numbers.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
If President Trump is serious about fixing our broken fiscal policy, we need to see a budget that lops a full $1T per year of federal spending, while keeping revenues the same.

Chelim, thanks for the table. I was making a tongue-in-cheek comment about not acknowledging a key component of Trump's fiscal philosophy: GROWTH.

The poster argued from the point of view that "serious" fiscal policy assumed "keeping all the revenues the same."

Irreversible outsourcing, job loss, bad trade deals, real unemployment, defeatism and punishing no-growth taxes were the prior assumptions but things have changed.

Why is pessimism preferable to optimism in the face of demonstrated economic changes as a result of Trump's presidency?

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alternatively, we could simply admit defeat and default on all $19T in debt obligations, and start over, but no one knows what lies in that Pandora's box, so no one is willing to try it.

That is a good thought Big Grin......BUT the total obligations which include entitlements is over 100T.

Edit: It is now estimated to be $127T:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/r...illion/#f456cf29bf8a

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Several outlets running with a story that 3 Whitehouse staff members have been identified as sources of leaks.

That's interesting. Any updates (no news handy at the moment)?

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

That's interesting. Any updates (no news handy at the moment)?

Reports appear to be based on the word of a single source, a correspondent from an outfit I am not familiar with and not corroborated. Picked up by Breitbart, Gateway Pundit and a few others. Nothing from mainstream outlets yet.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...d-to-fire-them-soon/

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Report This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
The poster argued from the point of view that "serious" fiscal policy assumed "keeping all the revenues the same."

the stank of FAIL is strong in this one

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Maybe a bit harsh on the poster. The notion that Trump must cut a trillion to reduce the debt is common among no-growth views of what a serious budget would require. The poster is behind the curve of the policy changes of the new administration.

Obama projected 3 and 4% growth by taxing, spending and decimating the notion of work. The welfare rolls exploded and manufacturing moved away or never started. Policies impact projections.

President Trump's team of real-life job creators seems to be seeking realistic policies for growth.

Breitbart notes what I see as the predictable apoplexy of the no-growth economists who's tax and spend policies failed miserably. Try This

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:
Why is pessimism preferable to optimism in the face of demonstrated economic changes as a result of Trump's presidency?
That's an excellent question. Perhaps some of the whiners/economic experts/presidential historians in this thread can offer up something which resembles an explanation.

Posts: 107616 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

There is "spend like it like you stole it".

There is "bury it in the ground, so you don't lose it."

And there is "spend wisely, that it will increase and bring many-fold returns, and in time, reduce the loss and debt."

POTUS DJT is the last type of guy.

I have no trouble with that.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43889 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Excellent points by the monkey on the top and bottom of the page!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
At the gym this morning I noticed the TV screens at work. Fox News was covering almost exclusively the bombing in the UK. All the rest? TRUMP/RUSSIA, TRUMP/RUSSIA, TRUMP/RUSSIA (ukbombing) TRUMP/RUSSIA, TRUMP/RUSSIA, TRUMP/RUSSIA.

Keep digging the hole, boys. You don't seem to learn lessons.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post