SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
Cursed be he who moves my bones!
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I think part of the problem with Trump is he is not a purist or even ideologically driven.

I believe I pointed this out months ago, that purists, and near purists might see some rough sledding in the years ahead.

He figures out what he believes is the smartest way to try something, and gives little worry to whether it falls left, right, around the corner, etc.

That's all true, and I think you're right in implying that Shapiro is a purist of sorts. But I don't think Shapiro is talking about ideology. I think he's talking about Trump's inability to stop saying and doing shit that obviously just digs him and his White House into an ever deeper hole. If he'd have just stayed on course with policy and let this other crap just play out, he would have been much better off.

But maybe it's all a big rope-a-dope for the media. Maybe Trump himself is the leaker (how hard could it be to find this WH leaker?) and there will be a big reveal showing how stupid the media is.

But I'm not betting money on it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: showpro,

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Report This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Remember the presidential candidate who proclaimed he would rather be right than be President, and was immediately assured he would likely be neither?

In the sense of restoring what many of us regard as traditional American ways of looking at things, doing things, our values, Trump may be both. Not always right, but on the big things surely.

And, let us not minimize this in any way, he stopped HilLIARy, plus as pointed out when he started, "...at least he's giving both barrels to those Obama-loving commie fucks [in the media]"

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
With all due respect if Trump listened to Ben Shapiro then he wouldn't even be president right now. Ben Shapiro just likes to bitch and complain and piss off leftists. Like McCain it would be great if he were supportive and a ally but he isn't and he just loves to point to bad things and say I told you so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
With all due respect if Trump listened to Ben Shapiro then he wouldn't even be president right now. Ben Shapiro just likes to bitch and complain and piss off leftists. Like McCain it would be great if he were supportive and a ally but he isn't and he just loves to point to bad things and say I told you so.

Somebody has to do it.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ben Shapiro eviscerates leftists in debate.

This isn't even the best example. It's merely the first one I found. See for yourself. Let's give the man his due. He's no idiot.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Ben Shapiro and other Never Trumpers are just hard to forge into a governing coalition.

Just when you think they start to meld into something more solid, the heat gets to be too much and they de-laminate and peel off. More flux?

Even those who dislike Trump should support who got them to the dance. Trump is Trump and the voters in the primaries and the general election selected him above all other Republican factions - with all his foibles.

Shapiro and the other Republican detractors hurt their own cause by continually throwing shade. By weakening President Trump they lessen the chance for conservative progress.

For Shapiro to say that apart from Gorsuch, "nothing of note has gotten done" shows his profound blindness.

Illegal immigration - Down.
Economy - Up.
Jobs - Up.
ISIS - Down.
Overregulation - Down.
Consumer Confidence - Up.
International Respect - Up.
Trade Deficit - Down.
Energy Independence - Up.
Bad trade deals - Down.
Greater financial contribution from allies - up.
Refocus NATO - Up.
Outstanding cabinet appointments - Up.
EPA rollback - Up.
Repatriate lands to the people - Up.
Help for Veterans - Up.
Free exercise of religion - Up.
Abortion funding - Down.
Respect for our history - Up.
Law enforcement support - Up.
Executive hostility toward firearms - Down
Support for Second Amendment - Up.
and so much more . . .

The problem with Shapiro and his ilk is that they are just blinded by a confirmation bias that screams in their own heads louder than all the great things that have been done or the greater things that could be done.

In fairness, Shapiro may have intended to refer to just Bills passing but he chose to ignore so many things on his way to over-pronouncing Trump's failure. Shapiro did not have to do that. And, Shapiro is plain wrong by placing Congressional inaction at the feet of the President. Where are the statesmen of our age?

Why people would not support the greatest hope we have had in decades to advance a restorative and truly better agenda for our country in favor of carping from the cheap seats is beyond me.

Unlike Para, I do not have a great deal of respect for Shapiro. It is a waste of intellect to simply swipe at leftists when those skills could be used to get more things done. He is bleeding air speed by creating needless drag.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:

For Shapiro to say that apart from Gorsuch, "nothing of note has gotten done" shows his profound blindness.

Illegal immigration - Down.
Economy - Up. Jobs - Up.
ISIS - Down.
Overregulation - Down.
Consumer Confidence - Up.
International Respect - Up.
Trade Deficit - Down.
Energy Independence - Up.
Bad trade deals - Down.
Greater financial contribution from allies - up.
Refocus NATO - Up.
Outstanding cabinet appointments - Up.
EPA rollback - Up.
Repatriate lands to the people - Up.
Help for Veterans - Up.
Free exercise of religion - Up.
Abortion funding - Down.
Respect for our history - Up.
Law enforcement support - Up.
Executive hostility toward firearms - Down
Support for Second Amendment - Up.
and so much more . . .

The problem with Shapiro and his ilk is that he is just blinded by a confirmation bias that screams in his own head louder than all the great things that have been done or the greater things that could be done.

I agree. Then, consider that EVERY ONE of those points quoted above would be 100% reversed under the hag, and think where THAT would lead this country. . .

These 'never-Trumpers' are idiots, IMO. They are blinded by the fact that their favorite candidate(s) got beaten in the primaries, not understanding that NONE OF THEM other than Trump could have beaten the hag. They seem to prefer the idea of having the hildabeast as president instead of Trump.

They are poisoning the conservative movement instead of admitting they were wrong.

A pox on them.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ben Shapiro is a very smart man who has a keen skill for arguing his position in real time. He has my respect and I am grateful for the fight he is waging, but he is also one of those conservatives who has despised Donald Trump from the moment they realized that the man might be POTUS.

I too like Ben Shapiro. But you have to realize that yes, he's more ideological than Trump so sure he's a bit of a "purist" as Jallen would say. Also, he's a political theorist and commentator, with a particular set of guiding principles. He's going to commentate. Sometimes you will agree with him, sometimes you won't but he will make you think. He won't always support the policy decisions or the approach of this or any President. We need thinkers, and we need doers. Trump is more of a doer than a thinker. He may be a bit of a wrecking ball, but maybe that's what it takes at this time. When I find myself agreeing with Ben Shapiro and Kurt Schlichter that things are not perfect I have Para to remind me: Donald Trump stopped Hillary Clinton.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24579 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:

It's truly amazing how EVERYTHING done behind closed doors with this administration comes out in leaks, down to how many scoops of ice cream people eat. There was someone in the room with Trump talking to Soviet diplomats and leaking that information, every move has come out in the media. Yet since October 2016, no one single shread of evidence has came out linking him to Russia.

How is they can't keep any information in house, but the most salacious information that the media and left desperately want and will pay handsomely for, not a single drop of evidence exists?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
NONE OF THEM other than Trump could have beaten the hag.

That's an assumption and unprovable.

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Report This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
There was someone in the room with Trump talking to Soviet diplomats and leaking that information, every move has come out in the media.

Actually, as I understand it, there are official transcripts of these conversations at the White House. So it's not just people in the room who have access.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's truly amazing how EVERYTHING done behind closed doors with this administration comes out in leaks, down to how many scoops of ice cream people eat. There was someone in the room with Trump talking to Soviet diplomats and leaking that information, every move has come out in the media. Yet since October 2016, no one single shread of evidence has came out linking him to Russia.

How is they can't keep any information in house, but the most salacious information that the media and left desperately want and will pay handsomely for, not a single drop of evidence exists?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...ees-placed-by-obama/

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39225 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showpro:
quote:
There was someone in the room with Trump talking to Soviet diplomats and leaking that information, every move has come out in the media.

Actually, as I understand it, there are official transcripts of these conversations at the White House. So it's not just people in the room who have access.

My understanding was that those transcripts have not been released. If so I'd like to see a copy of what exactly was said.

Putin has offered his copies though.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

showpro, that was a quote from Houng Dog, not Tubetone.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
quote:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...ees-placed-by-obama/

Same question then. If 60% of the NSC are not loyal to him, along with large portions of the rest of the government, then why hasn't someone leaked the information/evidence yet?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
quote:
showpro, that was a quote from Houng Dog, not Tubetone.

Sorry, bad edit.

Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Putin has offered his copies though.

Which is hysterical. He's wins the trolling award.

The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

Well that's a little pedantic isn't it. Lots of things aren't provable, such as how evolution works, but we look at what we see and are content that without being able to 'prove' evolution or dance on the head of a pin for that matter, we have enough to figure it's a pretty good bet.

Nobody but Trump could have beat the Hag.

Posts: 6504 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
It's an opinion. My opinion is that John Kasich would have beat her handily. I think several others in that pack could have as well. Even Trump said she was easy to beat. But he didn't beat her so easily.

But we'll never know because we can't A/B test it.