SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Prayers for my son please 22Jul76-2Jul21 *status pgs 13,16 & 17* Final thoughts pg18
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prayers for my son please 22Jul76-2Jul21 *status pgs 13,16 & 17* Final thoughts pg18 Login/Join 
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
This is absurd!

My son's registration had just expired while he was trying to get the California DMV to give him a disabled veteran credit.

We've been unable to find the Title and California insists they be paid $1340 (at least that's what it was in 2018) to register the 2003 Toyota 4Runner before they'll issue a duplicate of the title.

Sadly South Dakota says I have to deal with them here:

Talk about highway robbery! There must be a better solution. Anyone?

Can you get an exact amount from California and will they apply the disabled veteran credit?

I'm sure it's difficult dealing with this over the phone. Are you planning any trips to CA that would allow you to walk into one of their offices?

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
After you get your Small Estate Affidavit in CA you should be able to sign off on anything to handle the final disposition of your sons "estate". That would include selling that truck such as a bill of sale to the new owner, let them register it and re-title.

Sounds like the title exists you just can't get hands on without dropping CA some coin,

Since right now all trucks are a hot commodity, its a great time to sell it. I suggest you try WeBuyAnyCar.com, or Car Max places that buy used cars without you having to be there.

Used vehicles are a hot commodity, you should be able to sell it and forgo all the transport and registration fees.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
Can you get an exact amount from California and will they apply the disabled veteran credit?

I'm sure it's difficult dealing with this over the phone. Are you planning any trips to CA that would allow you to walk into one of their offices?

I am a septuagenarian whose health issues preclude travel from South Dakota.

As I recall the disabled veterans credit my son was seeking from the DMV was a hundred or two dollars off the standard fee. Frankly the exact amount they want isn't the main issue here.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
After you get your SEA in CA you should be able to sign off on anything to handle the final disposition including selling that truck such as a bill of sale to the new owner, let them register it and re-title.

Sounds like the title exists you just can't get hands on without dropping some coin, right now trucks are hot, try WeBuyAnyCar.com, or any used car lot, toyota lot, Used vehicles are a hot commodity, you should be able to sell it and forgo all the transport and registration fees.

Steve,
We don't have plans to sell the truck at this point but rather register it in South Dakota for a family member to have/use. And yes, the Title exists and the CA DMV has it with my son's copy missing among his papers.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Today would have been my son's 45th birthday. I won't lie, it has been tough today.

But two things have provided some welcome sunshine on an otherwise gloomy day.

Jim and Christine Smith, Valley River Artists of Murphy NC, both members here, generously donated this urn for my son's remains.

These are quick cellphone pictures taken immediately after unpacking the shipment. It is an absolutely stunning piece for which they have my everlasting gratitude.

Many are posting Facebook comments and today birthday wishes. This in particular from Aaron Phillips of The Warrior Connection touched us here.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Dear Bob,
Thank you very much for your kind words!
It was truly a privilege to have made the urn for Erich.

Thank you also for posting Aaron Phillip’s message and pictures.

Warmest regards,
Jim and Christine Smith

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
His birthday, huh, that’s tough on you, I’m sure. I hope it’s some small comfort to keep being reminded of the brotherhood he was part of.

The urn is stunningly beautiful

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

But two things have provided some welcome sunshine on an otherwise gloomy day.

All I can say is "bittersweet" and to let you know my eyes are tearing up for you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Urn Turning_Gal. Well done!

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can find out who the state legislator is for his area, that official's office may be able to make the inquiries with respect to the vehicle title.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
If you can find out who the state legislator is for his area, that official's office may be able to make the inquiries with respect to the vehicle title.

Thanks. Some veteran groups are looking into what might be done for us.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
That is truly a stunning piece of artwork. Bob, you're still in my prayers for healing.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
We've just put this out. Provided here simply FYI.

Services:

Interment with military honors has been scheduled for 26 August at 2pm at the Black Hills National Cemetery in Sturgis, SD. It is located off exit 34 on interstate 90.

https://www.osheimschmidt.com/obituary/erich-allman

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Most heart-felt condolences. We are grateful for his service and pray for peace and comfort for all of you. May God have your son in His glory and presence.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Did your son have his auto insurance through one of the Automobile Clubs in California, for example Automobile Club of Southern California?

If so from what I have read in some of the auto related forums they have member services for DMV related matters like registrations, title transfers, etc. Might be worth a call to them.

Also California has designated third party companies authorized to assist vehicle owners in registration matters, like this one: https://www.carregistration.com/title-services

This is not an endorsement, I know nothing about this company. I do have a friend near Palm Springs who might have a recommendation for one of these companies, if you want I can contact him.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
I haven’t been on in a while and just saw this. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. God bless and stay strong.

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Shovelhead,
No clue who his vehicle was insured with as his safe and papers aren't here yet.

To all:
Again my thanks for the continued prayers and support. I really don't know how I would have come through July without them.
--Bob

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
bald1, I found this online, may not be any help but?https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/new-registration/special-circumstances/handling-a-deceased-persons-dmv-matters/

AS I understand California wants registration brought to current status before they issue a duplicate title? California has a provision for non-operative status, can that be applied here? It might be worth a call to the DMV, they have a 24/7 phone number listed. If that can be applied in this case are you planning to have the vehicle transported or drive it back to South Dakota? If being trailered, that solves the registration problem. If planning to drive it, will SD register it without a VIN inspection and or issue a regular or a temporary in transit plate? Just some ideas.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
bald1, I found this online, may not be any help but?https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/new-registration/special-circumstances/handling-a-deceased-persons-dmv-matters/

Thanks for that link. Looks like they want a death certificate and the California mortuary said it'd be 3 weeks before they'll have any to send me.

Yes we towed the 4Runner out here. Looking at tackling this after the interment on July 26th.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Since you towed it that might give you some proof for getting inoperative status in California.