SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It’s 10 degrees outside and Duke Power is purposefully killing power to half a million people
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It’s 10 degrees outside and Duke Power is purposefully killing power to half a million people Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I’m not surprised. But this is criminal.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/lo...MTJCWHBBV6G5TJHZTAM/

quote:
As extreme temps drive unusually high energy demand across the Carolinas we have begun short, temporary power outages. These emergency outages are necessary to protect the energy grid against longer, more widespread outages. We appreciate your patience.

I fortunately have power at the moment. But I do not have a secondary heating option. Really puts living in/near a major population area in perspective. I live in the unincorporated county area that Charlotte is in.

But on Christmas Eve? Ten degrees? Screw you, Duke.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Millions of cars plugged in and sucking from the grid.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I fortunately have power at the moment. But I do not have a secondary heating option.

Do you have the ability to retrofit a wood or gas fireplace? Won't help today, obviously, but it'd be nice to have a backup next time. Gas fireplaces and water heaters have come in clutch for me during several extended winter outages.

Or invest in a generator?

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I often wonder how those islands (like Holden Beach) are going to run all those whole-house ACs AND charge a huge fleet of battery powered minivans and SUVs.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
This should be a wake up call to ALL about the insanity of forcing people out of fossil fuel energy, and directly related, the push into EV’s. If the grid is vulnerable during a cold snap, what will happen when multi-millions need to charge their cars, AND heat/cool homes?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Feb ‘21 during Winter Storm Uri the lying bastards at ERCOT were on TV talking about rolling blackouts but in reality there was no rolling. Instead, millions of homes continuously without power for days and billions in damage from burst pipes.

Right now, we’re a few hours away from getting over 41 hours of below freezing with the low being 15. The power grid upgrades appear to have worked and Texas made it through.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
This should be a wake up call to ALL about the insanity of forcing people out of fossil fuel energy, and directly related, the push into EV’s. If the grid is vulnerable during a cold snap, what will happen when multi-millions need to charge their cars, AND heat/cool homes?

Good point and since it seems inevitable that the push away from fossil fuels will continue, investing in power transmission stocks might be advisable.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

It should be but, laws like this one are evidence to the lack of understanding.

New York is forcing homes to electric: https://www.politico.com/news/...mate-change-00074600

Nowhere am I reading about the construction of power generation. Wind, solar and hydro are OK but have limits to generation capacity and each has environmental impact. No one wants to hear the real answer: nuclear. If you started planning a nuclear plant today, the earliest it would generate meaningful power is 2035 (VERY optimistic). Until then fossil fuel is needed to power the US. This isn't tin foil hat kind of stuff, this is reasonably evident which means that Washington will do nothing until the crisis hits.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Dominion Virginia Power May have been doing the same yesterday.

My wife has been sans heat since yesterday when three brief power surges and outages apparently killed the electronics in her furnace.

Try replacing a furnace in 25F in Richmond on the day before a Christmas weekend.

She’s staying with our child in their new home (closed on this last week, congratulations to my progeny and partner), surrounded by the detritus of moving.

I’m going down tomorrow. After the I-95 debacle that saw people trapped for a day in cold weather, the numerous pileups today (40+, with fatalities on the Ohio Turnpike) I’m taking a less trafficked route so survival gear is prudent), and given it will be <10F when at zero dark I leave and <15F when at way past nightfall I return, I am getting a cold weather survival kit together today. I haven’t done this in a very long time, so I plan:
- An old style heavy waterproof tarp with a mylar reflective surface (an original reusable “space blanket”),
- Sleeping bag,
- Mini-stove,
- Coleman lantern (because I love the sound and it can warm the inside of a car nicely)
- Three days meds, coffee, tea, food (MREs, snacks), and water,
- Pot, spoon, thermos, insulated cup,
- Grooming items (TP, toothbrush and paste, comb, wipes),
- Expanded IFAK, plus the med kit I keep in the car), and
- Self-defense gear (suppressed rifle (AR15), suppressed pistol (P320) cleaning gear, ammo and mags, plate carrier (simply to schlep all this with, I’ll leave the plates out).

It’s a ton of likely unneeded gear, but I want to assemble it just in case, and to see if it fits my mid-size pack.

Any one see holes in my proposed load out?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any one see holes in my proposed load out?

Just remember that something that burns anything the produce heat/light will consume O2 and produce CO2 and CO. Plan to ventilate or switch to a non-combustible light source so you don’t asphyxiate. Even staying in a hotel room with no power would be preferable to sleeping/cooking in a car, and far warmer.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We’re up the road a bit from Chongo in the mountains near Asheville. It was 0 when I got up this am and is not suppose to get above freezing until Monday afternoon. We’re also under Duke’s benevolent care..

So far, so good but we have several gas fireplaces if things go to shit.

I agree with those of you that are seriously questioning the feds move to make everything tied to the grid which obviously can’t be relied on. We were without power a few weeks ago at our home in Pinehurst when some a$$holes shot up 2 substations and although it wasn’t as cold as it is now it certainly wasn’t comfortable by any stretch.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
You probably already have these in your vehicle, but:

Full tank of gasoline
Shovel
Tire chains
Heavy coat
Warm hat & gloves
Fire extinguisher (especially if you're looking at lighting matches and propane or Coleman fuel in/around your car)
Oh yeah, Matches!

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Sig2340

To add to what Expert308 posted:

Sand or traction boards (I love traction boards) to go with a shovel.

Under clothing I would add battery heated socks/gloves hand warmers.

Battery pack to charge cell phone, IPad, or those battery operated hand warmers.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Out here in Wa. they're removing more dams / hydroelectric sources.

They're creating the next crisis they will use to their advantage.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Renewable, clean and environment friendly energy

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
It was 4 here last night and into this morning.
I got up at 5 and started a fire in both fireplaces.

I got the tractor/pto generator ready just in case.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Global warming is going to freeze us all to death. By that, I mean the fear of GW will continue the push to remove fossil fuel power generation, leading to ever increasing instability in the grid. Renewables can only supplement existing generation, not replace it. These idiots in charge don’t get it. Renewables provide no grid inertia, so they destabilize the system by their existence (excluding hydro).

If it’s not already apparent that everybody needs a plan to provide for themselves, then I don’t know what it will take. Making your own electricity is expensive, but it is far less expensive than the alternative, frozen pipes and water damage. Next summer when the sweat is running down your crack, take the steps to prepare for winters like this.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This graph from what's happening right now in Texas from the same storm tells an even better picture of Fossil Fuels and Nuclear power:

As you can see:
  • nuke steady the entire storm
  • Coal and lignite steady the entire storm
  • Natural gas being used to match power demand. Only source this flexible.
  • Solar only worth a shit during the day and no precipitation. In the winter, daytime is typically when demand is the lowest making solar even less beneficial.
  • This storm has been extremely windy, but wind power shit the bed

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    safe & sound
    Picture of a1abdj
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    what will happen when multi-millions need to charge their cars, AND heat/cool homes?

You will own nothing, and be happy. They will give you the electric you need (by their standards, not yours) and you should be thankful.

It's all part of the big picture that is becoming more and more obvious to those who are paying attention.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ridewv
    posted Hide Post
    Yesterday it was 0 to -5, cloudy, and very windy when driving and I saw the wind turbines on the ridge all motionless. We all needs to thank God for petroleum, coal, and natural gas!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post