SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It’s 10 degrees outside and Duke Power is purposefully killing power to half a million people
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It’s 10 degrees outside and Duke Power is purposefully killing power to half a million people Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I am about one mile into Fayette county TN, just east of Shelby county (includes Memphis). We had a low of -1 yesterday. Got a text from Chickasaw electric coop and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) at about 11 am asking us to conserve as much power as possible, put on extra layers of clothes and turn the thermostat temp down. And to turn off lights, including decorative and delay the use of appliances.

This morning they just went ahead and shut the power down for 30 minutes at 7:30. Temp was up to a balmy 11. The outage was requested by the TVA apparently. But they did apologize for the convenience, so we've go that going for us, which is nice Smile.

The whole house generator chugged longer than normal to fire up but it caught after a bit so we were fine. Hard to believe that this is the state we are in these days. Can't wait for more of this as we transition to all electric cars. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
According to Bing news feed, TVA was/is also doing this. My own power (local utility buys from TVA) went out for ~15 minutes once yesterday and twice this morning for ~10 minutes each. I can't say with 100% certainty that this was the cause, but I've lived here 13 years and don't recall this happening before.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope you get through the freeze ok chongo.

My company and many others generating power in the PJM market are burning more coal now than we have in a long time.

Clean burning and affordable ‘ng is bad’ don’t ya know?!

Go figure.

FJB and ALL of his minions and puppet-masters running the illegitimate administration!!

Posts: 3479 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chongosuerte,

Hoping for the best for you, family, and friends. This news really sucks.

Posts: 7556 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Yesterday it was 0 to -5, cloudy, and very windy when driving and I saw the wind turbines on the ridge all motionless. We all needs to thank God for petroleum, coal, and natural gas!

I saw a wind generator near me stopped too. It was very windy and it made me wonder if too much will destroy them and in very windy weather, do they lock them to not turn?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Yesterday it was 0 to -5, cloudy, and very windy when driving and I saw the wind turbines on the ridge all motionless. We all needs to thank God for petroleum, coal, and natural gas!

I saw a wind generator near me stopped too. It was very windy and it made me wonder if too much will destroy them and in very windy weather, do they lock them to not turn?

I think that is correct, but I'm not a wind power expert.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:

According to the dept of energy, wind speeds at it above 55 mph (gusts included) trigger a shutdown to avoid turbine damage. Even more reason not to depend on them and solar (there’s these things called clouds) but the leftist assholes don’t care- we gotta save the planet doncha’ know…

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quil57
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Duke is busy building solar out where they can for photo ops but providing for the customer when it's 11 degrees who cares.
They sold folks a bill of good about the "smart" meters which will keep folks with power in tuff times.
All it does is turn off your meter for 30 minutes at a time whether you have medical needs or not.

Oh for someone with a brain to be hired as CEOs at the utility companies.
Make that at all companies.

May they get your power back on quickly.

Posts: 44 | Location: Rock Hill | Registered: October 13, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I see the electric company always thanks us for our patience. I have NO PATIENCE with them whatsoever, but the fact is we have no choice.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
Hope you get through the freeze ok chongo.

My company and many others generating power in the PJM market are burning more coal now than we have in a long time.

Clean burning and affordable ‘ng is bad’ don’t ya know?!

Go figure.

FJB and ALL of his minions and puppet-masters running the illegitimate administration!!
We gotta supply Europe now with our natural gas because politics and putin. WTH did we ever bother fracking and drilling Marcellus for? IIRC, it was for Americans to have affordable gas.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Clean energy is a fucking facade. There is not such A thing. A total scam. Sold to you by those who want to bilk those willing to buy it.
How stupid can people be?

You will suffer the consequences.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
California has been doing the rolling blackout thing for decades now, and those people continue to vote for those responsible. And, I've notice a lot of talk of personal gas generators in this thread. Well, California has that problem well in hand too.

https://www.kcra.com/article/s...ifornia-law/37954497

Posts: 7526 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I fortunately have power at the moment. But I do not have a secondary heating option.

You've had your entire life to prepare. You own guns. You are prepared for THAT eventuality. Why not prepare with just the most basic of necessities so you don't freeze to death??!!

I live in south Florida, so I don't have to prepare for any occurrence where I would freeze to death. That being said, I STILL have generators, electric space heaters, and propane heaters. An it only got to 35 degrees here last night.

IF YOU LIVE WHERE IT SNOWS YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTLY HAVE GENERATORS, ELECTRIC SPACE HEATERS, AND BACKUP PROPANE HEATERS AT A DAMN MINIMUM. SO YOU DONT FREAKING FREEZE TO DEATH SHOULD THE POWER COMPANY SHUT OFF POWER.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well Duke failed to plan and you suffer. Acquainted with that. I am with Southern Company and we have a somewhat better track record. Surplus energy at times.
We lost heat when it was 20 below when living in Wisconsin. Got by with the fireplace which had a system to disperse heat. It was a rural area and many people used wood stoves. It was fixed several days later with only minimal freezing of some pipes.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The power companies can’t the lights on but we encourage 10,000 a day of illegals to pour across the border. They don’t sit around in the cold and dark and they aren’t replacing anyone. Just wait until the same thing happens with your food.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 332 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe somebody important will have their kid OD on Fentanyl. It takes stuff like that to make a difference.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
I fortunately have power at the moment. But I do not have a secondary heating option.

You've had your entire life to prepare. You own guns. You are prepared for THAT eventuality. Why not prepare with just the most basic of necessities so you don't freeze to death??!!

I live in south Florida, so I don't have to prepare for any occurrence where I would freeze to death. That being said, I STILL have generators, electric space heaters, and propane heaters. An it only got to 35 degrees here last night.

IF YOU LIVE WHERE IT SNOWS YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTLY HAVE GENERATORS, ELECTRIC SPACE HEATERS, AND BACKUP PROPANE HEATERS AT A DAMN MINIMUM. SO YOU DONT FREAKING FREEZE TO DEATH SHOULD THE POWER COMPANY SHUT OFF POWER.

I DO have a generator.

By secondary I meant gas or wood stove (though my heat is natural gas, it’s no bueno without power). I don’t consider my generator a long-term replacement for heating.

I suppose I have a fire pit out back.

I’m not gonna freeze to death, and my power has stayed on.

I’m simply trumpeting the insanity that the nuclear power plant 20 miles away can’t keep up with a 10-20 degree day. It’s not really THAT cold.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to see how much of that 1.7 Trillion dollar spending bill is actually going to infrastructure.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Several years back I acquired a nice cast iron pellet stove. It does require electricity, but not much. Even a small generator would run it with power to spare. I was surprised with how much heat it will put out.

It burns clean, and at full tilt will go through a 40 pound bag of pellets in 24 hours. Nice thing about the pellets is that they are in plastic bags, can be stacked easily indoors, and should have a very long shelf life. The stove looks nice, and even at today's prices I can run down to Lowe's and get 40 pound bags for $6.50. I generally buy them in ton quantities shrink wrapped on a pallet.

I'm not running it this year as I just replaced all of my HVAC and want to see how much propane the new system needs vs. the old. If I had natural gas that would probably be even better, but I prefer the pellet stove over dealing with wood.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

I DO have a generator.

By secondary I meant gas or wood stove (though my heat is natural gas, it’s no bueno without power).

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post