SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It’s 10 degrees outside and Duke Power is purposefully killing power to half a million people
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It’s 10 degrees outside and Duke Power is purposefully killing power to half a million people Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Renewable, clean and environment friendly energy

Yeah, it's called a wood stove or fireplace!!!!!!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Maybe where you are. I'd be shickled titless if we could keep the power on more than half the time during wind storms. It's been out for over 24 hours here and I'm not counting on it being restored before tomorrow morning, if then.

God Bless Mr. Kohler and his generator elves! Not quite so happy about the propane bill I'm going to get whacked with when I refill tho...

The thread isn’t exactly talking about your area; I suspect it gets cold by you often. The thread isn’t really talking about damage to power lines from wind and ice either. However, I stand by my comment in your case as well as I strongly suspect your electric company is 99.99% reliable as well.

In the 22 years I’ve lived in Florida, I’ve been without power from FPL for 27 days. Doing the math: (365x22-27)/(365x22)x100=99.66%. I just missed the ice storm of 1976 in Wisconsin, but I’m the in the 22 years I lived there we maybe didn’t have power for 10 days. It was probably closer to 5, but I’ll do the math on 10: (365x22-10)/(365x22)x100=99.87%.

Maybe 99.99% is an exaggeration, but neither of my examples nor your example are examples where the power companies could not keep up with demand, so 99.99% is probably fair.

Paul, you are a wise man (how bright was that star when Jesus was born?) because you recognized that power isn’t 100% reliable and took steps to mitigate that. I don’t envy your propane bill.

Posts: 10945 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Live in Charlotte, 15 degrees outside, 67 degrees inside. 7:05AM Duke conveniently cuts power to 530,000 in Charlotte metro, says power back on by 3:00, oh and by the way, you might experience “rolling blackouts thru this cold weather”. 8:45AM, house down to a chipper 60 degrees. Surprisingly enough, 9:05AM power comes back on. Dirt bags.

Posts: 135 | Location: Chapel Hill, NC | Registered: June 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
^^^^ He's right, ya know.

Grady has a great video about the Texas grid and how close they were to the grid going cold. The NC grid operators are trying to save the grid, not screw you.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/08mwXICY4JM" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Yes, but why now. Because .gov is investing in a fantasy of everything electric. They didn't allow time for the grid to expand.

Fuck them. And this comes from someone who grew up worshiping electrical storage in the form of AA Romper Stomper toys and later RC cars.

If they were to let free market do it's job the electric revolution would be much more smooth.

Fuck, why didn't we kill and outlaw horses when ford was mass producing the model T?

Because that shit does not fly.

You are talking about a political decision, one that isn’t made by the actual technicians who are rolling the blackouts to save the grid from total collapse. My larger point is that many in this thread are conflating the actual operators of the grid with those who have made the political decisions to put us in this situation.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8218 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
quote:
^^^^ He's right, ya know.

Grady has a great video about the Texas grid and how close they were to the grid going cold. The NC grid operators are trying to save the grid, not screw you.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/08mwXICY4JM" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Yes, but why now. Because .gov is investing in a fantasy of everything electric. They didn't allow time for the grid to expand.

Fuck them. And this comes from someone who grew up worshiping electrical storage in the form of AA Romper Stomper toys and later RC cars.

If they were to let free market do it's job the electric revolution would be much more smooth.

Fuck, why didn't we kill and outlaw horses when ford was mass producing the model T?

Because that shit does not fly.

You are talking about a political decision, one that isn’t made by the actual technicians who are rolling the blackouts to save the grid from total collapse. My larger point is that many in this thread are conflating the actual operators of the grid with those who have made the political decisions to put us in this situation.
Finally , somebody gets it .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been without power here because of the storm since Friday morning. I have a generator thankfully but an easy heat solution for at least keeping pipes/small spaces somewhat comfortable is an indoor rated propane heater. I have this and a stack of 1-pound bottles though you can get a kit to hook it to something larger.

Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Propane Radiant Heater, Red-Black https://a.co/d/11N1LlC

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
Had a Winter outage in my area a few years ago. The house didn't freeze up, but it was chilly inside. I made my own "heat exchanger" by putting a few large pots of water on the gas range, lowest flame. Took a while but they did put out a nice steady warmth.

If someone more knowledgeable than me reads this and says that's suicide, I won't do it again.

Posts: 2770 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Has anyone realized in all this that the "grid" is composed of a whole series poles that could be used to hang both the "grid operators" and the politicians? Yeah, they would stink up the place if not removed on a regular basis. But they only get to stink the place up one time.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Kind of like the scene in Spartacus. Let the crows feast on them!

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
TVA did rolling power blackouts on Christmas Eve here in North Alabama, and ours was out not once but twice during the day, a half hour each time! And yes, our only source of heat is our central HVAC system, so no electricity = no heat.

However, I would much rather endure rolling 30-minute blackouts than have the entire grid go down for several hours, so we dealt with it...

Posts: 4587 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I think we squeaked by in Charlotte. We never lost power this morning. Its crazy they would even consider doing that here. I would highly recommend getting a generator when you can.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
Just got the following email from Duke.

Subject: Thank you all

Whether you lost power – or conserved power – we are grateful to you.

For many across the Carolinas, 2022’s holiday season has been uniquely difficult. First, the gale-force winds ravaging across the U.S. took out trees, power lines and poles – leaving many in the dark. And then record cold set in, driving up energy demand and further taxing the grid.

We are grateful to all of you for your patience and understanding. First to all who lost power from that initial storm and had to wait in the bitter cold. Second, to those who lost power during the emergency outages that followed and had to wait – sometimes longer than anticipated – for power to be restored. And finally, to all who generously delayed extra energy use during this critical period to help keep the lights on for others.

The emergency power outages and requests for energy conservation are a rare occurrence – and a situation we always strive to avoid. Unfortunately, in this case, the temporary outages were necessary to protect the grid from more extensive damage, which would have meant lengthier repairs and longer, more widespread power outages.

Again, our thanks to everyone – and especially to those who had to wait, sometimes for hours longer than planned over a holiday weekend, for their power to be restored. We have never been more grateful to serve this strong and generous community.

Posts: 1457 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now you know why Duke Power hires English and Communication majors.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
There’s an issue I have with all these power companies and their “emails”. Not once have any of them accepted responsibility for the poor maintenance and it’s always the “weathers” fault. Own your shitty maintenance and explain to your customers why you invested money into the “go green” pipe dream instead of actual capacity and upgrades to the systems/grid!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
There’s an issue I have with all these power companies and their “emails”. Not once have any of them accepted responsibility for the poor maintenance and it’s always the “weathers” fault. Own your shitty maintenance and explain to your customers why you invested money into the “go green” pipe dream instead of actual capacity and upgrades to the systems/grid!
They won't hold themselves accountable. Your elected officials need to be in fear of not being reelected because of the rolling blackouts and the grid not being prepared for winter.

After Winter Storm Uri, Texas citizens made Gov Abbott and other Republicans nervous about chances of being reelected so in turn they held both ERCOTs board and employees accountable for the piss poor planning and management. ERCOT CEO fired, ERCOT board reformed (e.g. size reduced from 16 to 11, requiring specific utility skillset as an executive, being Texas residents), investigations commissioned, commission reports followed up, and our grid did very well through this last storm.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23260 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Seeing lot’s of similar news stories today about problems all over where the extreme cold has put an extra burden on the power grid.
Clearly an increase in items using electricity and cutbacks in fossil fuel generation without adequate replacements has brought this to a head.
Don’t expect the usual suspects to be highlighting this as it harms the narrative.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rackrack:
Just got the following email from Duke.

Subject: Thank you all

Whether you lost power – or conserved power – we are grateful to you.

For many across the Carolinas, 2022’s holiday season has been uniquely difficult. First, the gale-force winds ravaging across the U.S. took out trees, power lines and poles – leaving many in the dark. And then record cold set in, driving up energy demand and further taxing the grid.
Tells me they didn’t cut trees or did maintenance like they should

We are grateful to all of you for your patience and understanding. First to all who lost power from that initial storm and had to wait in the bitter cold. Second, to those who lost power during the emergency outages that followed and had to wait – sometimes longer than anticipated – for power to be restored. And finally, to all who generously delayed extra energy use during this critical period to help keep the lights on for others.

The emergency power outages and requests for energy conservation are a rare occurrence – and a situation we always strive to avoid. Unfortunately, in this case, the temporary outages were necessary to protect the grid from more extensive damage, which would have meant lengthier repairs and longer, more widespread power outages.
Means you didn’t upgrade the system to handle a spike in use

Again, our thanks to everyone – and especially to those who had to wait, sometimes for hours longer than planned over a holiday weekend, for their power to be restored. We have never been more grateful to serve this strong and generous community.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My points, exactly.

In the Carolinas there wasn’t any snow, no freezing rain, it wasn’t even really THAT cold, and it was only for a couple of days. It was windy in the very beginning, but nothing really crazy.

Yet Duke COULD NOT keep up.

I agree, nobody will hold their feet to the fire, and in a few weeks or months when we actually have a winter event…it will be a damned mess.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’m sure lots of us are old enough to remember our friend Reddy:

]

Those were the days.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
After the Valentine's Day freeze, we bought a generator that's tri-fuel. Installed a power inlet and an interlock. Not wanting to go 30+ hours without power again. That sucks. We're lucky to have a gas fireplace so we at least had that source of heat.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post