SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TSA worker fired after she missed a loaded gun in woman's purse
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TSA worker fired after she missed a loaded gun in woman's purse Login/Join 
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:... I remember in the Tucson airport going through private security before the TSA and seeing five Somali refugees pretending to do the screening before we boarded the plane. Several years later I flew back into Tucson and when i left who did i see? five female Somali refugees in new blue tsa uniforms who fould barely put together a cohesive sentence.

LOL "VIVA NEPAL!!!"

That brings to mind the scene in "The Golden Child" when Eddie Murphy is going through customs in Nepal and talking with the guards.

I know, Somali vs Nepali, not greater than or equal too, but still a funny visual.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V1bgBW9xx40" width="640"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Damn Monkey... nailed it!

Posts: 7740 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I will be flying out in a couple of weeks, first time in many years. I will make a "range report" when I get back.

I am about 6'2, 230 lbs. Wonder if they will grope me. Oh, and I am 79, if that makes a difference to the pervs.
I am also 79 and recently made a number of air travel flights. I have metal in my lower leg and at my sternum, so I usually get a patting down after going through the various detectors. I can't say I found the process demeaning.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
This incident seems to underline a thought that I've had brewing in my head for a while. There seems to be a general nonchalance related to firearms in the last decade or so.

Most firearm owners that I know are much like myself. They know exactly where their firearms are at all times, and where they are pointed when they aren't in a safe or holster.

It is pretty clear to me that a lot of people are treating their firearms like their cell phone, make up case, reading glasses, or any number of casual items that we carry day to day. What other possible explanation could one have for 'forgetting' your firearm is in your purse, bag, or waistband.

Just the other day here a mother left her pistol in the side compartment of her car door while she went in to get a toddler from day care, the child left in the car found it and fired a shot out the window. In the last week, several kids have shot each other or themselves after finding unsecured & loaded firearms in the home, while home unsupervised.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Sounds like she had a passport, so maybe she was flying internationally?
Maybe. I generally use my passport instead of driver license when ID is required. I have not flown internationally for almost 40 years (other than as a pilot, many trips to the Bahamas).

Driver license has more information than I might want to give. Passport is fine for ID, does not have residence address.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
She was a fool to self-report.

Once she found it, she should have left the checkpoint as oblivious as the persons ahead and behind her.

After all, if TSA's experts missed it with their billion-dollar Ouija machines, and she was oblivious as to the pistol's presence before the checkpoint, who is to say when she found it afterward?

Her better choice was to go out of the secure terminal, back to her car, dump the gun, go back through security.

In other words, never invite the man into your life.

Sounds like the best answer to the situation.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20023 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
So what kind of penalties is she facing?

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
A reason carrying off of your body is a bad idea.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paragon:
So what kind of penalties is she facing?

The worst long-term thing here is she might face being on the "No Fly List", which we've seen is almost impossible to get off of. As far as charges and penalties, I wouldn't know.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:
Of course, she doesn't sound too bright (who FORGETS they have a loaded firearm on them when they are trying to fly commercial?)

I actually had a troop do it. It was the same bag he used to go to the range.

There's a reason I never fly with the Ruck that I'm now using as a range bag. Once that gets demoted back to ruck from range bag, I'll clear it out before I take it on trips again.

And as far as passport goes, I *always* fly with my passport for ID. It's easier than digging my license out of my wallet.

Posts: 501 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hile:

And as far as passport goes, I *always* fly with my passport for ID. It's easier than digging my license out of my wallet.

Using a passport at the airport does not by itself necessarily indicate an international flight. However, needing to pull out your passport after clearing security (which seems to be the case of the lady in the story) does.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Once she got through security she actually did the right thing. Unfortunately the right thing does at times bring consequences.

If her story checks out as true and a simple mistake in haste to get to the airport, the judge may be lenient with her.

If you travel a lot, keep separate bags that NEVER contain anything that you can't fly with (guns, ammo, knives, razor blades, etc). If you have limited bags, empty them completely checking every nook & cranny and re-pack the bag checking every item that you re-pack.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

If you travel a lot, keep separate bags that NEVER contain anything that you can't fly with (guns, ammo, knives, razor blades, etc). If you have limited bags, empty them completely checking every nook & cranny and re-pack the bag checking every item that you re-pack.

I would say, if you travel at ALL, never mix bags. I wouldn't want them to find powder residue on a carry-on bag. Bags aren't THAT expensive.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'm not dumb enough to forget a gun in my purse, but assuming it happened somehow, I sure wouldn't rat myself out. I'd probably quietly leave and stash the gun in my car, or even miss the flight if needed.

And yes, TSA fucked it up.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

I would say, if you travel at ALL, never mix bags. I wouldn't want them to find powder residue on a carry-on bag. Bags aren't THAT expensive.

Last fall, I was getting ready to travel for my job. I hadn't traveled by air for 5 years. Cleaning out my satchel I was going to use, I found a couple rounds of empty brass. I remembered I had taken the satchel to a couple of handgun classes. So, go to WallyWorld for a new backpack.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
(who FORGETS they have a loaded firearm on them when they are trying to fly commercial?). . .

People who think nothing about carrying a gun? I know someone who did it, didn't even think about it till they were on the plane and realized they'd "snuck' the gun past security without trying.

Posts: 21345 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not dumb enough to forget a gun in my purse, but assuming it happened somehow, I sure wouldn't rat myself out. I'd probably quietly leave and stash the gun in my car, or even miss the flight if needed.

You carry a purse? Your Avatar is confusing me.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

You carry a purse? Your Avatar is confusing me.

I'm not dumb enough to walk out of my house with a loaded firearm anywhere on my person, without knowing it. "Accidentally" carrying a weapon into a security checkpoint is incomprehensible to me.

She was absent-minded, at best. Somebody else posted about people being too 'casual' about carrying weapons - I am not one of them.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was referring to the little ray of sunshine Avatar.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I meant my hypothetical purse.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I have known several who have had lives or careers if not ruined, severely bruised, over something like this, pistol in a bag used as a carry on.

I believe there is a statute now giving protection in some circumstances, a "King's X" if you will, to prevent prosecution.

I seem to recall a news report that DFW gets more handguns at checkpoints than any security posts in the country.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post