SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TSA worker fired after she missed a loaded gun in woman's purse
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TSA worker fired after she missed a loaded gun in woman's purse Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:

I actually had a troop do it. It was the same bag he used to go to the range.

One of my many rules is I have "Carry-on Bags" and I have "Range Bags." They are different items, and I NEVER mix them. Heck, I don't want any powder residue or left-over .22 empties in any bag I take through security.

And I agree that missing a flight is a better option than getting arrested. Maybe she was dumb enough to believe that the TSA would have just let her go get on her flight and work out the details later. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am about 6'2, 230 lbs. Wonder if they will grope me. Oh, and I am 79, if that makes a difference to the pervs.

Don't know. You are in Deliverance territory. They liked Ned Beatty.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Further proof the TSA is a joke and needs to go.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Why are airplanes even a terrorist target?

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Confused

Did you miss 09/11/2001?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

It's too hard to hijack a missile.....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
The only reason she would be digging out a passport after security would be to show the gate agent before boarding an international flight.

Probably better to self report here and take the consequences than land in a foreign country packing a pistol.

Yep. Some countries you don't ever want to get caught with so much as one round of ammo on you, much less a loaded revolver.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8365 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
She was a fool to self-report.

Once she found it, she should have left the checkpoint as oblivious as the persons ahead and behind her.

After all, if TSA's experts missed it with their billion-dollar Ouija machines, and she was oblivious as to the pistol's presence before the checkpoint, who is to say when she found it afterward?

Her better choice was to go out of the secure terminal, back to her car, dump the gun, go back through security.

In other words, never invite the man into your life.

This was my thought on it exactly. It would be far better to miss the flight than to go through the never ending hassle and charges she is now facing.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Given the options at hand I would have left the secure area and returned the pistol to my car. If my car not at the airport I would have simply returned home or called someone to come get the gun. Better to miss a flight than be arrested.

Absolutely, because she missed the flight anyway.
Hey, I wonder whether she can get a refund for the unused ticket?

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only reason she would be digging out a passport after security would be to show the gate agent before boarding an international flight.

Probably better to self report here and take the consequences than land in a foreign country packing a pistol.

The very last thing I would do is self report. At that point, she's screwed either way. I'd rather miss my flight and deal with the consequences associated with that than deal with the consequences of unlawful carry. I would've left the terminal to secure my gun and do what I can to make the flight or a later one.

Self report? No way. Now you're in a world of hurt. Much worse than missing your flight, which you'll end up doing anyway but this time in handcuffs.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

Yeah, I didn't think about that. Perhaps she didn't have the option to take it back to her car (got a taxi/shuttle to the airport), or didn't have time to go out and back through security again before the flight left.

And if she tried dumping it in a trash can, it could have been found and traced back to her (serial number)?

Maybe self-reporting was the least-bad of a limited list of bad options.

Still, I can't fathom how people can be so ignorant as to 'accidentally' have firearms in their carry-on items.

Given the options at hand I would have left the secure area and returned the pistol to my car. If my car not at the airport I would have simply returned home or called someone to come get the gun. Better to miss a flight than be arrested.

She is fron Alabama in Georgia. It is unknown if her car was in the parking lot.

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
So, they missed a loaded gun going through the screener. But, as in another thread, they really really really made sure this special needs boy wasn't going to slip anything past them.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news...fying-security-check

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11207 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
turn around and walk back out of the airport, miss the flight, take a cap to FedEx/USPS or a gun store and mail it back to your home/gun store

Yeah I know you shouldn't mail it, but I doubt it would be caught in a USPS flat rate box and she'd be out of the country if it did, as for now she's in the poky with Atlantas finest

Have a buddy that did that, got a call from the boss at dinner, get to the airport and get to vegas for a client meeting, reservations made you have a couple of hours, he grabbed his gym bag, shoved in shoes, shirt, etc, forgot that he kept a small semi in a secret bottom pouch.

TSA found it, got a ride to 33rd street, a night with some unseemlies and a big bill for lawyer fees.

Didn't lose his carry permit or access to guns.

Frankly there needs to be an interdiction system for this, take the gun, file it, give them a citation, fine, whatever, hold the gun until they get back.

Posts: 24238 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
If ATL has lockers she could have stored it in there.

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Disband the TSA and hire the monkeys that are out of work due to the circus closing.

Posts: 7094 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Monkeys would be a refreshing change.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
TSA at Newark is made up of the people we worry about the most and of course your usual mix of I was a Mall Security Chief prior to this job...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8673 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Disband the TSA and hire the monkeys that are out of work due to the circus closing.

They already did that. When the TSA started the job screening process meant looking for people with experience. They hired the same idiots who were already doing it ineffectively and doubling thier pay. I remember in the Tucson airport going through private security before the TSA and seeing five Somali refugees pretending to do the screening before we boarded the plane. Several years later I flew back into Tucson and when i left who did i see? five female Somali refugees in new blue tsa uniforms who fould barely put together a cohesive sentence.

Posts: 7740 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
How'd she miss it by the way? Was she the one watching the x-ray monitor? Or was she the one digging through her bag and missed it?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:... I remember in the Tucson airport going through private security before the TSA and seeing five Somali refugees pretending to do the screening before we boarded the plane. Several years later I flew back into Tucson and when i left who did i see? five female Somali refugees in new blue tsa uniforms who fould barely put together a cohesive sentence.

LOL "VIVA NEPAL!!!"

That brings to mind the scene in "The Golden Child" when Eddie Murphy is going through customs in Nepal and talking with the guards.

I know, Somali vs Nepali, not greater than or equal too, but still a funny visual.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44460 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post