SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TSA worker fired after she missed a loaded gun in woman's purse
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TSA worker fired after she missed a loaded gun in woman's purse Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
http://www.al.com/news/birming...ml#incart_river_home

A Transportation Security Administration screener has been fired after authorities say she missed a loaded handgun in a passenger's carry-on bag at Atlanta's airport.

WSB-TV reported Thursday that Atlanta police say passenger Katrina Jackson of Hoover was looking for her passport inside her purse and noticed her .38-caliber handgun Sunday while at the gate at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Jackson told officers, who confiscated her gun and bag.

TSA officials said in a statement that the worker who failed to see the handgun already was on probation and was fired.

Police say Jackson told officers she had a permit from Alabama to carry the gun, but didn't have it on her. Jackson was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a handgun.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
We need TSA screening process to screen and test each TSA agent before, during and after every shift to ensure that they are capable of screening passengers and carry-on property.

I figure a 2:1 ratio of screeners to TSA agents as well as full inspection of TSA clearence, correct indentification, certification and other relevent paperwork. All reports should be forwarded to TSA headquarters, and validated withing 5 minutes of the screening of each TSA agent before the TSA agent can proceed to screen passengers. Of course, all of this will need to be added to the ticket cost, and will require passengers arrive 3 hours prior to departure, just in case the TSA Agen screening process creates any delays in processing of passengers.

And we may need a TSA Agent Screening Process QA Department, fully staffed to provide oversight and compliance with the TSA Agent Screening Process Program.

[/sarcasm]

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44460 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
We need TSA screening process to screen and test each TSA agent before, during and after every shift to ensure that they are capable of screening passengers and carry-on property.

I fugure a 2:1 ratio of screeners to TSA agents as well as full inspection of TSA clearence, correct indentification, certification and other relevent paperwork. All reports should be forwarded to TSA headquarters, and validated withing 5 minutes of the screening of each TSA agent before the TSA agent can proceed to screen passengers. Of course, all of this will need to be added to the ticket cost, and will require passengers arrive 3 hours prior to departure, just in case the TSA Agen screening process creates any delays in processing of passengers.

And we may need a TSA Agent Screening Process QA Department, fully staffed to provide oversight and compliance with the TSA Agent Screening Process Program.

[/sarcasm]

I would delete your post, before someone sees it, thinks it's a good idea, steals it, and implements it.... Big Grin

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
If the woman would have kept her mouth shut once she noticed she had her gun in her purse, she would have probably gotten away with it, and wouldn't have been arrested. . .

Of course, she doesn't sound too bright (who FORGETS they have a loaded firearm on them when they are trying to fly commercial?). . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
If the woman would have kept her mouth shut once she noticed she had her gun in her purse, she would have probably gotten away with it, and wouldn't have been arrested. . .

Of course, she doesn't sound too bright (who FORGETS they have a loaded firearm on them when they are trying to fly commercial?). . .

I noticed that as well - she reported herself and for her trouble they confiscated her bag and gun AND arrested her. I doubt she will ever get her pistol back either.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds like the old Steve Martin bit: "I FORGOT armed robbery was illegal!!"

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Police say Jackson told officers she had a permit from Alabama to carry the gun, but didn't have it on her.

This seems odd to me. If you have a carry permit, why wouldn't you have it with you in your wallet, purse, et cetera?
Mine sits next to my DL and is always with me whether or not I am carrying.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
Sounds like the old Steve Martin bit: "I FORGOT armed robbery was illegal!!"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
AWESOME "Let's Get Small" reference!!!! LMFAO!!!!

On a serious note, these are the dipshits that deem it necessary, under their *NEW* Universal Pat-Down Procedure, to feel my junk and analyze my anal sphincter. What the TSA doesn't get...and will NEVER get in their power-hungry, feeble-minded state...is that a pilot can take down an airplane buck naked.

Where's the Benicar......
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
This seems odd to me. If you have a carry permit, why wouldn't you have it with you in your wallet, purse, et cetera?

No shit, Patrick. Mine is in my wallet...WITH ALL MY OTHER ID. Where in the f*** is Para's comet????

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I can't fault the woman who forgot her handgun. The GED imbeciles who man the TSA checkpoints are to blame.
What if the woman had noticed the handgun but failed to report it, and it was then found in her bag? That's a tough choice to have to make. I certainly wouldn't want to have to make such a decision, and I am just about the least indecisive person I know.

You want effective screening at airports? Stop hiring people who would be working at WalMart otherwise. You know it's true. You've seen them. They're as dumb as a bag of hammers and they don't give a shit except when is break time or lunch time.

Instead, hire retired military personnel. Hire retired police officers. Hire people who have backgrounds in security. Don't tell me about the low salary and how this will never happen. I know it will never happen, and that's why the TSA will always be inept, bumbling and almost entirely ineffective.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109051 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
In my experience with the TSA, most of the people working for them would get fired from the local McDonalds for incompetence. And these are the people, ostensibly, keeping our air travel safe?

Posts: 20565 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

I figure a 2:1 ratio of screeners to TSA agents as well as full inspection of TSA clearence, correct indentification, certification and other relevent paperwork. All reports should be forwarded to TSA headquarters, and validated withing 5 minutes of the screening of each TSA agent before the TSA agent can proceed to screen passengers. Of course, all of this will need to be added to the ticket cost, and will require passengers arrive 3 hours prior to departure, just in case the TSA Agen screening process creates any delays in processing of passengers.

[/sarcasm]

I kind of like that idea - and it should be done by a group of airline passengers that have been groped, molested or otherwise humiliated by the TSA in the past

3 to 5 fully invasive screenings per TSA employee per day should be sufficient to make their work day a miserable hell

I like the idea Smile

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:...
I like the idea Smile

PPV could fund it...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44460 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I will be flying out in a couple of weeks, first time in many years. I will make a "range report" when I get back.

I am about 6'2, 230 lbs. Wonder if they will grope me. Oh, and I am 79, if that makes a difference to the pervs.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:
Police say Jackson told officers she had a permit from Alabama to carry the gun, but didn't have it on her.

Sounds like she had a passport, so maybe she was flying internationally? I intentionally leave everything I don't need to minimize the inconvenience if theft should occur when I travel internationally, so yes, I intentionally leave my CCW at home.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Ima gunna go wit "Don't narc yersef out".

She "did the right thing" and is now going to pay a steep price for it. While she did commit a technical violation there appears to be zero intent or malice and no other bad act involved. If I was on her jury I would absolutely refuse to convict on any charge.

Compare that to all the local and federal governments willfully breaking or not enforcing the laws they simply disagree with that lead to legitimate harm to others as a result.

If the government is allowed to pick and choose what laws are followed, why can't the governed do so as well?

I was returning from Hawaii a few years back and after going through TSA, boarding, take off, and cruising at 35000 feet came across my Kershaw Leak spring assisted 3" blade pocket knive. It took me all of a microsecond to realize that keeping my mouth shut was the better option than whipping it out and turning it in to the flight attendant.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11220 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
She was a fool to self-report.

Once she found it, she should have left the checkpoint as oblivious as the persons ahead and behind her.

After all, if TSA's experts missed it with their billion-dollar Ouija machines, and she was oblivious as to the pistol's presence before the checkpoint, who is to say when she found it afterward?

Her better choice was to go out of the secure terminal, back to her car, dump the gun, go back through security.

In other words, never invite the man into your life.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32008 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
The only reason she would be digging out a passport after security would be to show the gate agent before boarding an international flight.

Probably better to self report here and take the consequences than land in a foreign country packing a pistol.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
The only reason she would be digging out a passport after security would be to show the gate agent before boarding an international flight.

Probably better to self report here and take the consequences than land in a foreign country packing a pistol.

Yeah, I didn't think about that. Perhaps she didn't have the option to take it back to her car (got a taxi/shuttle to the airport), or didn't have time to go out and back through security again before the flight left.

And if she tried dumping it in a trash can, it could have been found and traced back to her (serial number)?

Maybe self-reporting was the least-bad of a limited list of bad options.

Still, I can't fathom how people can be so ignorant as to 'accidentally' have firearms in their carry-on items.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

Yeah, I didn't think about that. Perhaps she didn't have the option to take it back to her car (got a taxi/shuttle to the airport), or didn't have time to go out and back through security again before the flight left.

And if she tried dumping it in a trash can, it could have been found and traced back to her (serial number)?

Maybe self-reporting was the least-bad of a limited list of bad options.

Still, I can't fathom how people can be so ignorant as to 'accidentally' have firearms in their carry-on items.

Given the options at hand I would have left the secure area and returned the pistol to my car. If my car not at the airport I would have simply returned home or called someone to come get the gun. Better to miss a flight than be arrested.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, she doesn't sound too bright (who FORGETS they have a loaded firearm on them when they are trying to fly commercial?)

I actually had a troop do it. It was the same bag he used to go to the range.

quote:
You want effective screening at airports?

The TSA is completely ineffective... and even if they were a stellar agency they would still be an abomination. They are the biggest end-run around the 4th Amendment in the history of the United States.

quote:
Better to miss a flight than be arrested.

Have to agree.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post