SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US is monitoring Chinese spy balloon that has been floating over Montana for the past several days
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US is monitoring Chinese spy balloon that has been floating over Montana for the past several days Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, it seems counterintuitive, and I was surprised when I first read it myself.

I don’t know how the size of a “weather” balloon compares with these most recent ones, but I would guess at this point after all the criticism that blew up about the first delayed shootdown, the political concerns about decisiveness and all that are considered to be much more important than recovering payloads intact.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
IR adjudicates emissivity, that is the rate of heat dissipation compared to surroundings, which may sound like heat seeking but is distinct.

So in the context of guided ordnance, is there such a thing as heat-seeking that is not infrared in nature?

I'm not an expert in this subject, either, but I have worked on missile guidance systems and I generally considered heat-seeking and infrared to be more or less synonymous in practice.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Schmucky Schumer now running his fat yap that the Chinese “were humiliated” by that shoot down last week and their response is to send more balloons now.

Uhhh…Chucky? Someone WAS humiliated but it wasn’t the Chinese you dope. Roll Eyes And they’re sending more because they know they’re dealing with a confused, weak old fool.

Posts: 33810 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Supposedly another object shot down over Lake Huron. Did anyone have “Chinese spy balloons” on their 2023 bingo card?

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
99 luftbaloons...

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
So in the context of guided ordnance, is there such a thing as heat-seeking that is not infrared in nature?

While waiting for someone who knows more than I, my understanding of the question:
I believe infrared radiation is what radiated heat is. Even something like microwaves that can heat an object by radiation do so by stimulating water molecules to vibrate and that’s what causes the heat, not by heating the same way we get warm by standing by a fire.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^My understanding as well.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this how the Soviets were feeling when Gary Francis Powers was shot down back in 1960?

IF all of these 'incursions' are a result of a CCP operation and, we're scrambling around demanding Congressional hearings and pointing fingers....then they've gotten inside our decision making loop. THEY are dictating the tempo of operations and we're on our heels reacting.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s too late for that sir, this has become comical.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I guess turnabout is fair play?

China claims ‘unidentified object’ in its airspace, prepared to shoot it down

Chinese authorities have reportedly spotted an unidentified flying object over the waters near a major naval base and were preparing to shoot it down, according to officials.

Local maritime authorities in China’s eastern Shandong Province said they had spotted an "unidentified flying object" in waters near the coastal city of Rizhao, the state-run Global Times reported Sunday...

...A marine development authority official told The Paper, another Chinese news outlet, that "relevant authorities" were preparing to shoot down the object...

Fox News

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Comical is right. Number 4 down.

US military 'decommissions' unidentified flying object over Great Lakes region

The U.S. military on Sunday shot down another unidentified flying object over Lake Huron in Michigan.

Rep. Jack Bergman confirmed that the U.S. military has "decommissioned another "object" over Lake Huron.

Rep. Elissa Slotkin, D-Mich., tweeted that the object has been "downed" by U.S. Airfoce [sic] and National Guard Pilots.

"Great work by all who carried out this mission both in the air and back at headquarters. We're all interested in exactly what this object was and its purpose," Slotkin tweeted. "As long as these things keep traversing the US and Canada, I'll continue to ask Congress to get a full briefing based on our exploitation of the wreckage."

"We’ll know more about what this was in the coming days, but for now, be assured that all parties have been laser-focused on it from the moment it traversed our waters," she said.

Slotkin noted earlier that more would be known in the coming days.

Fox News

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Clowns

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Let’s think about the shootdowns. Objects are in general unable to maneuver. This means no engine. No source of heat. This means the missile must be directed to the target. The AIM9X is in general a heat seeking missile, but in these events must be locked on to a target by the pilot with visual acuity and a datalink to the missile. Daylight would be necessary.

You don’t understand AIM9X. It’s incredible. Can even be used to shoot moving ground targets, there are many upgrades.

Lots of advances with the current 'winder
Air Force Raptor to 2060? The F-22 Likely Destroyed Chinese Spy Balloon with "Upgraded" AIM-9X Missile
quote:
While the specifics of exactly which variant of the AIM-9X was used to destroy the balloon are likely not available for security reasons, it may well have been the F-22s upgraded Block II AIM-9X. The new AIM-9X shoots farther and reach a much larger targeting envelope for pilots. Working with a variety of helmets and display systems, Lockheed developers have added “off-boresight” targeting ability enabling pilots to attack enemies from a wide range of new angles.

Raytheon AIM-9X weapons developers have told Warrior that the Block II variant adds a redesigned fuze and a digital ignition safety device that enhances ground handling and in-flight safety. Block II also features updated electronics that enable significant enhancements, including lock-on-after-launch capability using a new weapon datalink to support beyond visual range engagements, a Raytheon statement said. It uses an imaging infrared focal plane array go give it its “off-boresight” targeting ability. Utilizing a Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System, or a new generation of pilot sights, a pilot can control the AIM-9X missile by looking at a target.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Before, they couldn't bring down the big chinese balloon out of the sky for the safety of the 5 or so people per square mile in Montana, but now it's just blast whatever the hells up there where ever it is. It seems I have that right.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Utilizing a Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System, or a new generation of pilot sights, a pilot can control the AIM-9X missile by looking at a target.

That's the critical point. In the back of my mind, I thought that the AIM-9x had visual (by the pilot) targeting, but couldn't find a direct reference.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Utilizing a Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System, or a new generation of pilot sights, a pilot can control the AIM-9X missile by looking at a target.

That's the critical point. In the back of my mind, I thought that the AIM-9x had visual (by the pilot) targeting, but couldn't find a direct reference.

I believe Ward Carrol called this out in one of the posted video's several pages back, which he verbally nodded in approval that utilizing the F-22 and that particular missile made sense because the pilot could visually guide the trajectory and not have to rely on a lock of some sort.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Nobody is saying it, but, Tic-tacs. Definitely tic-tacs.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Nobody is saying it, but, Tic-tacs. Definitely tic-tacs.

I so want them to knock one of those things down, just so we can find out what they are. Flying mints.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
IR adjudicates emissivity, that is the rate of heat dissipation compared to surroundings, which may sound like heat seeking but is distinct.

I'm not an expert in this subject, either, but I have worked on missile guidance systems and I generally considered heat-seeking and infrared to be more or less synonymous in practice.

Infrared and multispectral cameras can take images the human eye can't see. You can image things in dark or daylight with them like temperature differences or different reflectivity of certain wavelengths off an object.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Infrared and multispectral cameras can take images the human eye can't see. You can image things in dark or daylight with them like temperature differences or different reflectivity of certain wavelengths off an object.

I think we all knew that stuff, the question was whether the so-called "heat-seeking" ability of a missile was infrared-based.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."