SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US is monitoring Chinese spy balloon that has been floating over Montana for the past several days
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US is monitoring Chinese spy balloon that has been floating over Montana for the past several days Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
99 luftbaloons...

^^^^
Nope. They have to be red. Wink

When I was a kid, our scoutmaster taught us how to make hydrogen gas. We used to make “hydrogen bombs” by taking a large garbage bag and then line the outside rim/opening of the bag with light wire and then making a frame to hold a tin can filled with H20, lye and tinfoil. When the garage bag was sufficiently balanced and full of Hydrogen gas, we would send it up into the sky. Usually, we would do it at night and attach a long cannon fuse to it that lead to fireballs in the sky. I bring this up because I am beginning to wonder if one or more of these might have been a prank or a local science experiment gone bad?

Posts: 12472 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15487 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
First thing that came to mind for me was a weapons delivery platform, possibly a c#vid style virus, smallpox, or a chemical weapon. a test run for an emp , i don't buy that it was just for surveillance and things, we have cameras that can see on the moon and surface of mars a balloon seems at best, a stealth like entry to an airspace.

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3325 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Seems like we're racking up a pretty good tally on these

- off NC coast
- off Alaska coast
- over Canada
- over Lake Huron in Michigan
- over the UK

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37992 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Seems like we're racking up a pretty good tally on these

- off NC coast
- off Alaska coast
- over Canada
- over Lake Huron in Michigan
- over the UK

...or, are we finally addressing these object?
Seems like the ChiComs are simply tossing these things out into the wind (literally) and letting everyone else deal with it.

Posts: 14672 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
"After the transit of the spy balloon this month, the North American Aerospace Defense Command, or NORAD, adjusted its radar system to make it more sensitive. As a result, the number of objects it detected increased sharply. In other words, NORAD is picking up more incursions because it is looking for them, spurred on by the heightened awareness caused by the furor over the spy balloon, which floated over the continental United States for a week before an F-22 shot it down on Feb. 4." Link

Posts: 10995 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is a plausible explanation and it sounds like the truth. Somebody screwed up by speaking the truth.

posted Hide Post
National Capital Region will be having an air defense exercise taking place tomorrow. I wonder if this will be a scenario for a tabletop discussion at least?

Posts: 3226 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I believe the radar system in place in the 1960s and 1970s would have been more capable of detecting and tracking these invaders. The system was downgraded when we became more interested in missiles than bombers. Air Traffic Control is used to using transponders now, too.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
So it may very well be that some dude chilling in his hot tub in Montana spotted the balloon and brought it to the attention of authorities. Brilliant.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a two-minute video about small National Weather Service (NWS) balloons with radiosondes that are launched 2x/day from 90 sites in the states.

I saw nothing in the report about the risk to aircraft.

https://www.kwqc.com/2023/02/0...ng-do-they-stay-air/

From NWS, they can reach 115,000 ft:

https://www.weather.gov/upperair/factsheet

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This most recent shoot down #4 was accomplished
by an F16. The F16s use a IR targeting system similar to the Navy F18s that released the famous
TicTac UFO video's, so, will we see video of shoot down #4 any time soon

Posts: 152 | Location: west Florida | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Wow, that is a plausible explanation and it sounds like the truth. Somebody screwed up by speaking the truth.

You don't have to be clever if you start with the truth.

On the other hand, if they had started with with the truth, then we wouldn't have a 31 page thread and wouldn't have met I am Weather Balloon.

Posts: 10995 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A large cylindrical object has appeared in the skies over Washington, D.C.

I had intended to post a dildo but decided against it.

Pro tip: when searching for images of dildos, make sure your search engine is set to "moderate", otherwise, well, just make sure it's set to "moderate" Eek

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Do not be concerned, the government has top men on this situation.

Top... men...

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37992 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trapper, you're right, you don't have to be clever if you start with the truth. However, in today's day and age, you gotta be CAREFUL with the truth.

There's a line in the movie "The Big Short"
"The Truth is a lot like French poetry. No one really likes French poetry."

You start spewing the TRUTH, you're likely to be cancelled, or become the villain.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8359 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The one time- the only time I've seen Karine Jean-Pierre state something with deep conviction and not refer reporters to White House Counsel or the State Department, and it turns out to be her adamant reassurance that the "objects" aren't flying saucers piloted by space aliens err space immigrants.

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Hey, anyone remember balloon boy?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39769 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I thought about him the other day- he and his grifter daddy.

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/24...vernor-for-2009-hoax