SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Virginia elections November 2021 update: Thanks to everyone who made it happen
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 32
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia elections November 2021 update: Thanks to everyone who made it happen Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I will be there, we won't win the governor, but maybe we can get some delegates, not where I live (very blue), but in the purple areas.

I'd love to be proven wrong, I mean like really, really love it, but very unlikely.

With respect, where you live affects what you hear around you all the time, and that tends to affect your outlook on things like elections.

At the same time, if where you live is politically pretty stable (consistent blue, right?), then by definition you're not in one of the state's constituencies where changes happen often enough to be likely. You may have overlooked something happening somewhere else.

I say all this because I live in a part of this red state that is so blue that someone somewhere is trying to tell themselves that having blue balls is a sign of political virtue at any given moment of any given day.

Go get 'em, Virginia.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
I will be working out of town, and I will take vacation to ensure that I will be there to vote in person for Youngkin. I'm disappointed he has not answered the VCDL questionnaire, but at least we know where Mcawful will take us. I also absolutely talk to people about voting but my sphere of influence is small...

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1184 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
On a functional basis, the fact that Biden is president means DC is now full of a lot of Democritter appointees. Lots of those will actually live in VA. I don't know what the numbers are, it doesn't help.

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
The complete and total cluster that is the Biden Presidency has to be hurting Dems chances in upcoming elections. Just look at the support he has from independents in polls and consider that those numbers might be slightly inflated. Eek To think that isn’t spilling over and hurting the party as a whole would be foolish.

The more apolitical family members who are my barometer for things political have become QUITE vocal over Biden’s failures and especially inflation lately. I wouldn’t give up on Virginia just yet.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That area (northern Virginia) wasn’t going to go red anyway. Padding their numbers there does little to help them. It’s the rest of the state that is more in play as the Dems lose independents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I am campaigning for Youngkin. Have talked face to face w about 150 voters.

If you remember Daniel Gade, he is working full time for the Youngkin campaign.

If Youngkin wins, it would be great if Gade winds up in some Virgina state position.

For people in Virginia, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to touch base w potential conservative voters and urge them to vote.

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
AFAIK, VA doesn't have an electoral college type system for the gubernatorial election. Every vote counts individually. So if there are more democrat northern DC bureaucrats, they all count. Maybe the Republicans can pick up statehouse seats in the south.

quote:
That area (northern Virginia) wasn’t going to go red anyway. Padding their numbers there does little to help them. It’s the rest of the state that is more in play as the Dems lose independents.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Independent votes IMO have more sway than an influx of politicians to NOVA. Because of Biden, Afghanistan and Covid that voting block has soured on the Democrat party quite a bit. They would need to import a ton of bureaucratic clones to offset that or hope for things to improve under Biden’s leadership which is a bit laughable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The reason why "urging conservative voters to vote" is so important is seen in the historical data.

for both REPs and DEMs the presidential elections get higher turn out than gubernatorial elections

2012 presidential election:
3,858,043 total Virginia votes (71% of registered voters)

2013 gubernatorial election:
2,253,418 total Virginia votes (43% of registered voters)

2016 presidential election:
3,984,631 total Virginia votes (72%)

2017 gubernatorial election:
2,612,309 total Virginia votes (48%)

2020 presidential election:
4,486,821 total votes (75%)

So if we can work at the grassroot level to get higher turn out in this gubernatorial election, we can increase our chances of winning.

Look at how many people just don't vote in our Virginia gubernatorial elections. Let's hammer that point home to people.

You have to work to win if you are going to win.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
AFAIK, VA doesn't have an electoral college type system for the gubernatorial election. Every vote counts individually. So if there are more democrat northern DC bureaucrats, they all count. Maybe the Republicans can pick up statehouse seats in the south.

quote:

correct,

each vote counts,

NOVA, Tidewater, RVA, Charlottesville and Roanoke, are always blue, and they make up the majority of the population

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

quote:

correct,

each vote counts,

NOVA, Tidewater, RVA, Charlottesville and Roanoke, are always blue, and they make up the majority of the population

And the entitlement capital of Virginia,Danville, always votes blue in a Red county.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/a...ery-for-a-washington

The Time Terry McAuliffe Left The Delivery Room For A Washington Post Party

McAuliffe also wrote about the birth of his children in his 2007 book What A Party, noting on one instance he left his wife at the hospital to attend a party for Washington Post reporter Lloyd Grove before the birth of his daughter Sarah.

"We got there a little after noon and spent the whole afternoon in her room. I was trying hard not to appear restless, but I am not one to sit still for long and soon I was going stir-crazy, which drove Dorothy nuts. 'Isn't there something you need to do?' she finally said. I told her The Washington Post was having a party that evening for Lloyd Grove, who wrote the 'Reliable Source' column. 'Go!' she said. 'You're like a caged animal here. I'll call you if I need you.'

I went flying out the door and drove to the party. I kept calling Dorothy to make sure she was fine. I made the rounds at the party and ran into Marjorie Williams, who was writing a story on me for Vanity Fair, magazine. She was shocked to see me at the party. 'Isn't Dorothy having a baby today?' she asked. 'That's right,' I said, 'but she threw me out the room.' Marjorie just couldn't understand how I left Dorothy alone. I almost told her about the night I was born and how my mother wanted my father to stay at home to watch Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, but decided against it. I went back to the hospital after the Washington Post party and at 3:33 A.M. little Sarah Swann McAuliffe was born."

In another section of his book, McAuliffe writes about stopping to go to a fundraiser on the way home from the hospital with his wife, an aide who was driving his car, and a newborn baby Peter. McAuliffe noted the fundraiser, a "Sons of Italy" dinner hosted by United Association of Plumbers and Pipefitters President Marty Maddaloni, raised "a million bucks for the Democratic Party."

"Dorothy was starting to well up in the backseat. She was having trouble understanding how I could be taking my wife and newborn baby to a fund-raiser on our way home from the hospital. We got to the dinner and by then Dorothy was in tears , and I left her with Justin and went inside. Little Peter was sleeping peacefully and Dorothy just sat there and poor Justin didn't say a word. He was mortified. I was inside maybe fifteen minutes, said a few nice things about Marty, and hurried back out to the car. I felt bad for Dorothy, but it was a million bucks for the Democratic Party and by the time we got home and the kids had their new little brother in their arms, Dorothy was all smiles and we were one big happy family again. Nobody ever said life with me was easy."

video and audio of McAuliffe talking about this at the link

posted Hide Post
A reminder of what the left does.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
McAuliffe: "Nobody ever said life with me was easy."
This may be the only honest statement I have ever heard him make!

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"A Virginia gubernatorial poll released Wednesday shows Republican Glenn Youngkin leading Democrat Terry McAuliffe with likely voters for the first time, a sign that President Biden’s tanking approval ratings may have become a drag on Democrats.

The University of Mary Washington poll conducted Sept. 7-13 found the Republican businessman ahead of Mr. McAuliffe, the state’s former governor, by 48% to 43% with likely voters in a blue-trending state that Mr. Biden carried in 2020 by 10 percentage points."

https://www.washingtontimes.co...liffe-virginia-gove/

Early voting is underway here in old Virginia. Biden is stinking things up. Northern Virginia, blue state central, has hospitals overwhelmed by measles brought by Afghan refugees.

McAwful might not be able to steal this one. His ads are so full of lies that even the Democrats can tell.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a mailing from Youngkin yesterday, sending him a few bucks tomorrow. Nothing yet from other candidates.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
My opinion - vote early in-person at your local registrar's office.

+1 if you decide to vote absentee. Me, I'm going to show up live and in person, driver's license in hand.

VERY good advice. Some early voting Republican votes will be corrupted to avoid getting counted, seems to be the rule of the day.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

https://www.jasonmiyares.com/home

from Miyares website:

Punish Criminals and Protect Victims

The victims of violent crimes are too often ignored or forgotten in Richmond. An out-of-control parole board has let out felons, rapists, murderers, cop killers, and child abusers out of prison and back in our neighborhoods and communities. This failure to protect the safety of Virginia families is a fireable offense, and as a former criminal prosecutor, Jason has seen first-hand the toll violent crime has on victims, families and communities. As Virginia’s next Attorney General he will make your safety his mission to protect all Virginians.

Stand with Police

It is time we stand with those that stand everyday to keep our communities safe and secure. We should be funding the police instead of defunding them, and give them the tools they need to succeed. Law enforcement officers risk their lives keeping our communities safe and they deserve to know we have their back. As a former prosecutor, Jason has worked with law enforcement and is honored to have the support of members of law enforcement, prosecutors and sheriffs throughout the commonwealth who are tired of a criminal first, victim last mindset in Richmond.

Opposing Illegal Immigration

As potentially the first Attorney General since 1786 that would be the child of an immigrant, Jason is a passionate believer in the American Miracle and that our nation is a nation of second chances. If your family came to America seeking freedom and opportunity chances are your family is a lot like the Miyares Family. Miyares supports legal immigration, but he will not allow illegal immigrants to take advantage of American laws and is in favor of efforts to strengthen border security.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Being near SW VA, I get Youngkin's commercials on the radio. I'm curious why Northam apparently isn't running. Surely VA governors aren't limited to a single four-year term.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
VA is weird. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe a VA Governor cannot serve two consecutive terms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
yes. VA does not allow a person to serve two consecutive terms as governor. Northam cannot run in 2021

McAuliffe was VA governor Jan 2014 to Jan 2018