SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Burning Man Festival ended with a real "Burning Man"
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Burning Man Festival ended with a real "Burning Man" Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
This jackass did the world a favor. I just wish he had been a little more considerate regarding his methods and not put the firefighters' in harms way as a result of his idiocy.

Posts: 6084 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Hey, you know how when someone kills a bunch of people, and the media takes a big steamy dump as if all gun owners are murderers?

Don't you hate that?

So why is it OK when applied to other groups?

Burning Man may not be for you, but it's not full of bad people or the insane. It's just got big enough that it has to deal with a full cross section of the population now. Except maybe BLM, not sure if they're burners. Not sure if Antifa is loose enough to be burners.

Anyway, it's not just hippies and wasteoids. Many of my friends have been burners for now decades. I've refused numerous invitations, because while I love the idea, I don't like baby powder sand.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
An instructor at a class I took last summer is over the communications division for Burning Man's emergency services. Red has told me several times that if I want to work it he'd get me in. I'd love to go out there and do it, but couldn't make it happen this year. Next year is a possibility though.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3637 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I would love to go.

I hope that man is now free of his demons and I hope his loved ones find peace.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm why SigForum can't
have nice things
Picture of Thayer
posted Hide Post
It wasn't me!

Posts: 9817 | Location: Heart of the Ozarks  | Registered: June 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Good to see you, Thayer. Been a long time.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Once in a lifetime photographs, little eerie considering what they represent.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
He's dead Jim. Gonna be a long time too.

Posts: 6592 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man was 41, originally from Oklahoma, living in Switzerland.

http://www.rgj.com/story/life/...nt-center/629576001/

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I have to wonder, ... Did he think he'd make it through? I mean, he didn't even put down his water bottle.

Posts: 11433 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
He fried doing what he loved...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
It's better to burn out
Than to fade away.

~Neil Young

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17568 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i don't know anything about the party or the guy or the circumstances. But that is tragic. Those are some incredible photo's. I wonder if he is American Indian looking at the first photo.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19771 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
i don't know anything about the party or the guy or the circumstances. But that is tragic. Those are some incredible photo's. I wonder if he is American Indian looking at the first photo.

Maybe in an Elizabeth Warren kinda way.

Posts: 13125 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
In the Wicker Man, he was trying to escape the burning man. Differing scenarios. Maybe this idiot did it the right way?

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I read this thread because I, unwittingly, was under the impression that the folks who attended Burning Man were hippies and drug addicts. Now I know the truth - that they're made up of a cross section of society and that many of them are Libertarian. It's always great to learn the truth about a thing!

Of all the enemies that the American citizen faces, the Democrat Party is the very worst.

Posts: 10860 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
i don't know anything about the party or the guy or the circumstances.

Just spoke to a work friend who came back from BM last night. She said nobody really knew why he ran in. Apparently he was not depressed, a real nice guy who was having a great time at his first burn. Speculation among my friend's group is that he was dosed or took a hallucinogen.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17195 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Having been around bunches (a few to hundreds or more, maybe thousands in some cases) of folks on garden variety hallucinogens (mushrooms and LSD, generally) and coke or other amphetamine based things, a few hundred times or more in my life, in close quarters (after parties, small clubs, homes, etc) and big festivals and such, IME - which is not small - those substances don't really do those sorts of things to people.

They don't jump into fires, or traffic, nor do they see "dragons jump out of walls" or think they can fly, either. The quickest way to tell if someone is full of shit when talking about an acid trip or similar is when they start describing some over the top hallucination like that, much of which is borne of urban myth and such. I have had perfectly cogent conversations with friends who, at the time, were on anywhere from 1-10+ hits of LSD, and all manner of other combinations, at lakes, busy downtowns, in crowds, and surrounded by normal and random dangers and risks, etc, and nada...

That said, there are new(er) things (in terms of trends) I'm unfamiliar with, and can't speak to, like DMT and Datura and Bath Salts and such, much less random combinations of recreational drugs, or mixes with Prescription Rx, or preexisting mental issues, and so on.

But suffice it to say that regular old alcohol, weed, mushrooms, lsd, ecstasy, etc don't make people run into giant fires or traffic, etc. If that were true, even 10% of the time, tens of thousands or more would die like this each year, hell - each summer. Shit, in any big city on any given Saturday night, across all the clubs and other places to hang out, you can bet your ass there are several hundred or more people taking drugs like that at any given time, and nationwide or even world wide, the number would be very, very large, week in, week out. Most that I know who did such things did so for years and turned out fine, careers, families, good and healthy kids, just like most everyone else. Those that didn't were fuckups all along, or otherwise broken before recreational drugs.

This is an anomaly, and an exceptionally rare one.

Tragic, no doubt, but not as simple as "drugs" or hallucinogens.

As always, no one should mess about without careful consideration or while operating heavy machinery. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post