SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Burning Man Festival ended with a real "Burning Man"
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Burning Man Festival ended with a real "Burning Man" Login/Join 
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I'm a Burner.

The Burner community is in shock over this. The person did die today. As RNshooter noted, Rangers and ESD will carry the scars from this for a very long time. I've done inside perimeter duty at Regional Burns. While there is a perimeter and people set up to stop things like this from happening, it's nearly impossible to completely prevent it. Especially after the effigy is down and perimeter is dropped. A similar event occurred at a Regional Burn in Utah a couple years ago. We had someone rush the burning effigy at our Regional Burn but they were tackled and stopped well short of the effigy.

And for those who have commented on leftist, hippy, druggies, you know little to nothing of what constitutes the Burning Man Community. Most Burners I know are successful professionals and I'd say most would have IQ's over 130. We despise hippies and sparkle ponies, people who come to a Burn unprepared and expect others to take care of them while they are there. Certainly there is drug and alcohol use and abuse at any Burn. But there are lots of us who party no more there than on any weekend.

It's a sad day in BRC and throughout the world wide Burner community.

Posts: 11292 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
What a flaming idiot.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
What a flaming idiot.

^^^Rim shot please!! Big Grin

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
No offense meant Brad, I just know several who frequent that gathering and they are exactly as I described.

Posts: 20608 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most Burners I know are successful professionals and I'd say most would have IQ's over 130

I suspect we can all agree these aren't the people so intent on jumping into a fire that you have to plan means to prevent that!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Most Burners I know are successful professionals and I'd say most would have IQ's over 130

I suspect we can all agree these aren't the people so intent on jumping into a fire that you have to plan means to prevent that!

"Pictures taken by participants show the man racing toward the flames, which were hot enough to scorch arm hairs from 100 feet away".

https://www.usatoday.com/story...nt-center/629858001/

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's toast.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13499 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
My take on this?

A. A person is his own responsibility. If you take drugs, you may run into fire, or jump of a cliff.

B. Any event that needs a cordon of security and firefighters to keep people like point (A) from whatever should not be held.

C. If you believe that jumping into that cauldron will result in a new life , please tell us about your new life asap.

D. If events like (B) are held, no security , firefighters, EMT's should be there. Let them have at it.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Friggin hot head!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7846 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
I'm a Burner.

The Burner community is in shock over this. The person did die today. As RNshooter noted, Rangers and ESD will carry the scars from this for a very long time. I've done inside perimeter duty at Regional Burns. While there is a perimeter and people set up to stop things like this from happening, it's nearly impossible to completely prevent it. Especially after the effigy is down and perimeter is dropped. A similar event occurred at a Regional Burn in Utah a couple years ago. We had someone rush the burning effigy at our Regional Burn but they were tackled and stopped well short of the effigy.

And for those who have commented on leftist, hippy, druggies, you know little to nothing of what constitutes the Burning Man Community. Most Burners I know are successful professionals and I'd say most would have IQ's over 130. We despise hippies and sparkle ponies, people who come to a Burn unprepared and expect others to take care of them while they are there. Certainly there is drug and alcohol use and abuse at any Burn. But there are lots of us who party no more there than on any weekend.

It's a sad day in BRC and throughout the world wide Burner community.

best post in the thread

Posts: 5228 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The man has been identified.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 6003 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Rare, Please.

Posts: 8726 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this a true suicide or something caused by drug/alcohol stupidity?

I cant seen a sane person of good mind thinking they could actually run through that inferno.

Posts: 5466 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Weird people do weird things. Liberty provides the opportunity. I see this event as an expression of liberty an a rejection of confining standards. It was a matter of time before something like this happened. It was a selfish attention whore act. Attention whoring seems to be sweeping our national culture and leaving destruction and oppression in its wake.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Edit: I'm a Burner and a Ranger (since 2000).

In the early days, Burning Man had a very libertarian feel. It was a magnet for people who did what they pleased and were happy to let others do the same. It attracted machine gun nuts as well as nudists. And they played well together, with some interesting results. You're welcome, for the mental image you just had.
The event has grown and anything that goes from 2,000 to 70,000 participants, with coverage by Maxim and GQ magazines, will attract its share of douchebags. And some amazing people, as well.

This guy decided to have his ultimate "Look at me!!!" moment at the expense of all of them.

What an asshole.

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
you cannot make anything or any even idiot proof - there will always be a better idiot

this event seems to have been run quite well, except for the final idiot - should be no reflection on the organization - willing to be the idiot would have run into a burning house if one was near by

hold the idiot responsible for his actions, not the organization

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53850 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
I have always been intrigued by Burning Man. One day, I will go.

Very sad.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:

In the early days, Burning Man had a very libertarian feel. It was a magnet for people who did what they pleased and were happy to let others do the same. It attracted machine gun nuts as well as nudists. And they played well together, with some interesting results. You're welcome, for the mental image you just had.
The event has grown and anything that goes from 2,000 to 70,000 participants, with coverage by Maxim and GQ magazines, will attract it share of douchebags. And some amazing people, as well.

This guy decided to have his ultimate "Look at me!!!" moment at the expense of all of them.

What an asshole.

Bruce

I had an opportunity to go back in the 90's...I passed, should've went. Those who went, were very much libertarians. At the time, it was full-blown self-sufficiency; firearms, explosives, drugs, road warrior vehicles, lots of music acts, hedonism, sculptures contrasted on the playa giving any photographer an orgy of palletes. Today, some of that still exits. The vast majority of attendees are professional upper-middle class from SF Bay Area, LA and Seattle; you could and do have full-blown TED talks out there. I recall working in SF's Mission District and the week prior, all these luxury tour buses would be double parked, picking up folks who chartered them, it was ridiculous. As a lifelong backpacker and climber, some of the contraptions people had built for living in the desert were pretty ingenious, others were simply headshaking crap. The stories they all came back with was endless, social morays and hang-ups were left back in civilization and temporarily new people emerged. Today, there's a hospital/med-area, emergency services, 'security teams' patrolling along with the local sheriff dept, even AAA assigns a handful of tow-trucks to deal with dead batteries and vehicles. It's almost like...civilization. Eek

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:

Knew I couldn't be the only one here. Thanks for your work with Khaki. I do ESD.

Hope to see you in the dust in 2018.

Posts: 11292 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I'm bi-departmental Wink

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post