SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I have a problem.. have bought multiple guns that I have yet to shoot - Anyone else?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a problem.. have bought multiple guns that I have yet to shoot - Anyone else? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
And I thought it was just me.

I feel relieved.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rarely fired describes pretty much my whole collection. I have honestly lost the desire to shoot due to the fools running my range.

I have probably well over a dozen unfired guns, both long and short, sitting here collecting dust. And I just received a shipment of mags and accessories.

8 believe I agree that is more the thrill of the hunt for a good deal than it is the firearm itself that keeps me looking/buying. I should probably burn my card to be easier on my retirement account.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Every gun I buy I plan to shoot. I don't buy any just to collect. Even so, I do still have an Arsenal SAM7 AK-47 and Sig P320X5 Legion that I've owned for months and haven't gotten around to shooting yet.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Guilty as well. 75% of my guns remain unfired at the moment.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
I have two unfired guns in my collection. Mossberg 500 I purchased years ago and the S&W FPC I just got yesterday. I’ll get around to shooting the FPC once I secure an optic. Not sure if I’ll ever shoot the Mossberg at this point. Maybe I’ll make it a point to take it to the range when I try out the FPC. Everything else I have at least test fired once.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
All of my guns were bought to be used. None of them are safe queens.

Yet, I have a brand new, never fired, MK25 sitting in the gun safe for about three years. I've always wanted one, and I bought this one from a friend for a ridiculously low price. Over the years I've gotten used to carrying this stupid Glock 19, and so the MK25 seems like it weighs a ton by comparison. Yeah, I know. Waaaa!Smile

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m in the same situation as Wolfe- the memebers only range we absolutely loved closed down.

Supposedly becuase the owner had to be the primary health provider for family in the hospital.

I don’t think that’s the case since the St. John’s sherrif’s office built a range and training center right behind the burms of the range.

They weren’t up and running a week before they were stopping in and claiming rounds were getting out over the burms. 100% BS

Regardless of the reasons the range is shut down now. The closest one to me literally is the most unsafe range I’ve ever been to.

So it is what it is now. There’s a gov’t run range in Daytona that’s nice, but it’s a 1.5 hour drive.

Count your blessings if you have a safe range close by.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a Black Rain AR15 that has never been shot, didn't really want one, but figured I better buy one while it's still legal. It didn't come with any sights and I have yet to buy some for it. That is another reason it has not been shot.

Posts: 423 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I have guns I haven't fired. Worse, I have ammo and parts for guns I don't even own yet....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
CZ Shadow 2, haven't had it out and to the range.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Not here. Everything I own has been shot, most of it extensively. I've gotten heavier into the milsurp collecting the past few years, and even that stuff is seeing a lot of range time. If it gets to a point where something doesn't get used, or I find that I don't enjoy shooting it, it goes away (with just a couple of exceptions for sentimental reasons). I don't have the space to stash a bunch of unused stuff, and anything unnecessary just makes it more of a pain to get the stuff that I want to use out of the safe.

The personal struggle that I have is the issue of enjoyment vs practicality. Some guns/types of guns I own for work of defensive purposes. I know that even though most of the fundamentals translate between platforms, if I dedicated all of my range time to the "serious" platforms, it would make me even more proficient in the areas that matter the most...but I enjoy such a wide variety of shooting-related stuff that it's hard to limit myself like that. I've come to the conclusion that it's ok for some things to be just for fun. Reloading and casting feeds the addiction, too. I'm as much of a nerd as I am a shooter. Developing a load for a new rifle is a fun project, helps overcome ammo supply issues, and keeps the costs reasonable.

I do understand the range availability issues that some struggle with, though. I used to go to a public place that was pretty horrible. It was hard to get out even once a month, and when I did it was such a pain and so restrictive that it wasn't particularly fun or useful. Once I became a member of my current club, which offers far more flexibility and availability, it made it way easier to get out and shoot. It's not a fancy or high-tech facility, but it's been perfect for my needs. Someday I'd still love to have my own property to shoot on, but for now this place has been fantastic.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
<<snip>>
The guys who can't afford the guns they want will have no sympathy for the plight of those who possess an excess. This is something to consider when your lack of shooting bothers your conscience.

I have sympathy! Recently picked up a Tisas 1911A1 Service Special for a huge bargain ($329.00 plus tax) at my favorite LGS. I've been to the range with it to test it out with FMJ and HP ammo and it works perfectly. Unfortunately now I need more ammo and I choke at the prices of .45ACP ball ammo, much less more self defense ammo! I want to shoot it more, but for now it just sits waiting... I cannot imagine the guys with huge collections having to feed them all, especially anything larger than 9mm!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bronicabill,

Posts: 4587 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have some inherited guns I haven't shot.

One is a long barreled Ithaca pump that needs a new recoil pad, and would be hard to use anyway. It is basically a duck or goose gun and is full choked. Therefore steel shot won't pattern well, and might damage it, so I'd have to use bismuth shot. And, I have three or four other guns that are much easier to use. for ducks or geese.

Another is a .300 Weatherby magnum. Unless I go elk hunting, I probably won't shoot that either. Have you priced Weatherby ammo?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
CZ Shadow 2, haven't had it out and to the range.

Don't do it or you may never want to put it down.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I have 2 boys that are still too young to shoot handguns (other than my .22), but they'll be old enough in a few years. I've been stocking up on classic P series pistols I can share with them that I find locally for a good deal. All are used, most, but not all, are LEO trade ins. Most of the LEO trade ins are .40 S&W which seem to have fallen out of favor and can be had for under $500. I think under $500 is a good price for used a P226, P228 or P229.

I did pick up a SP2022 and 2 P6s in 9, which I haven't shot yet. I'm picking up a Ruger Security Six in .357 mag tomorrow that is about an hour away. Looks to be in really good shape and snagged it for $500. My local range is outdoors, and it's just been too damn cold.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have a few such firearms. I'm not as active a shooter as I once was, I admit. I haven't been to a range lately.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a g19, g44, p365x and a 210 carry I've not been able to shoot yet.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Like everyone else, I have a number of firearms I have never shot. And there are more that I have shot years ago, but I never take them to the range anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
When you get up in years and you know your kids are not interested, may be time to reduce the inventory. That's where I am at.

I'm in a similar situation. Last year, I spoke to my son and he says he is very interested in taking possession of some guns, I have been buying him firearms and ammunition as gifts since he was a child. But he doesn't want to own a boatload of them. And he says he isn't really interested in my reloading stuff either.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
As much as I might like, I don't have much of a "collection" or means to gather one. I tend to buy firearms for a specific purpose or to fill a "category" (example- I am not currently a hunter, but believe everyone should have a bolt action hunting rifle. Hence the Savage that is unfired.)

I do a have a couple of "collector" quality guns but mostly because I just happened into them. An HK P7M8 I bought used for $700 back when the PSP trades could be had for $500 or so and a P229ST that was blessed by Bruce himself.

Everything else is "ordinary" and if sold, not likely to bring any measurable amount over what I paid and in most cases less than I paid taking time and inflation into account.

The guns I listed, especially the handguns I have every intention of firing. While ammo cost is always an issue, I have a pretty good stock of all my calibers, so that really isn't a limiting factor.

The rest of this month is pretty well filled with "stuff", but I think I am going to make a point to at least get the handguns fired next month.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
<<snip>> And he says he isn't really interested in my reloading stuff either.

Well, hello Dad!!! Wink

Posts: 4587 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post